Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1885-O Morgan - AT or NT? Grade it

GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
This is an 1885-O Morgan Dollar that is certified by PCI (10-digit) as MS-62. I was considering cracking it out and sending it somewhere else, since I can't find any reason why it should only grade MS-62, and no marks appear under the toning. The toning brings up another point - is it AT or NT? Any opinions would be appreciated. I've provided some very large, high-resolution images. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    NT. The reverse looks nice the obverse looks crummy.
    I think it might be either au58 or ms62.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with Placid. IMHO, of course...
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    If you think that coin is mark free under that toning, you need to look a little closer. That coin has a LOT of ticks and abrasions under that toning. I also think the color is highly questionable at best.

dragon
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like the obverse has already been grated.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I noticed that your pictures are hosted by Under-The-Sun-Coins, are you by chance the owner of that site? If so, I want to say that I checked it out and there is some very good information there, including grading coins.
    Eye appeal is one of the grading points, and I don't believe this coin would receive any upgrades for that, unless the picture is not true to it's real color. It's just not my cup of tea for a toned coin. I don't like the funny white stuff in the letters and date, and believe it may have been tampered with. This of course is just my opinion, if you truly believe that it will upgrade, go for it!!! After all is said and done, your opinion is the only one that matters, not mine, or the grading company's.

Becky
    Becky
  • Options
    Cleaned then AT. Net grade au55-58. Sorry.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help, guys. And yes, I am the owner of underthesuncoins.com. The picture is close to true color, and while I agree that it isn't the most incredible thing I've ever seen, it has a tendency to grow on you - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll leave it where it is for now, since it seems to be fairly accurately graded as is. I don't really like the white stuff in the letters much myself. Although I'm sure it's possible, I would think it would be somewhat difficult to AT one side of a coin, and I would point out that the toning is even and doesn't seem to float on the coin. Just thought I'd point out that it's also a VAM-2 Repunched date, or was when it was slabbed. Thanks again!
  • Options
    KriekKriek Posts: 1,044
    Cleaned AU58 NT
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Can't tell well enough from these images. Your strong lighting needs to come from the left and wash over the prime focal areas of the coin.
    Thanks...
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • Options
    CapAnsonCapAnson Posts: 204
    Yeah I think in the second picture there appears to be some scratches on the cheek, so 62 is probably right. I think it's natural toning, for what it's worth.. But not exactly the best eye appeal I've ever seen.
  • Options
    In my not really professional opinion, looks like someone had fun with a wire brush on that one.
    They say you need to pray if you want to go to heaven.... but they don't tell you what to say when your whole life has gone to hell.
  • Options
    I'm getting a lot of stuff about the "scratches" They are actually streaks in the toning, and there is no evidence of scratches or displaced metal on the surface in that area. Just thought I'd point that out.
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Looks just ok to me, Dip her and see whats underneath.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file