Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Auction Madness!!

Last week Mastro's auctions ended setting some lots thru the stratosphere, it was one of the most impressive group of lots ever offered. Currently Robert Edward Auctions has some great memorabilia in their auctions. Today I receive Grey Flannel's auction catalog for their upcoming May 19th auctions. I presume that LeLands should be out shortly, as well as Hunt and others as well.
My question is, after being bombarded w/ aution after auction of quality cards & memorabilia.....What will run out first, quality lots being offered at auction or the money that bidders have to spend? Somethin's gotta give!!! ....jay

Comments

• Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

I think quality lots will become scarcer than money.I don't think either one will run out.There are some awful deep pocketed collectors out there.You would think that with all these auctions going off one after another,some ot the lots would become affordable.It sure doesn't seem to be happening,though. image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    I just received Mile High's auction catalog. Unbelievable cards - in particular, great run of 1915 Cracker Jack's and, more recently, 1974 Ryan PSA 10, 1971 Seaver PSA 10 and a zillion others I can't remember off hand. 9s and 10s I've never seen.............
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

I received the catalog today.I agree,there is some really awesome stuff.Probably high dollars though.There is a thread about the 52 Bowman Mantle GAI 10 perfect authored by Mikeschmidt(I think).

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Observed. . .

The 71 Seaver PSA10 in Mile High's current auction is the same card auctioned in the November 2003 Superior auction. The pop on the card is still 1. Back in November, the card went for around $4500.

Mile High's current auction also lists a 72T Robinson Traded PSA10. This is the same card (same cert) that Superior auctioned in November 2003. Superior's went for $925.

Other cards in Mile High's auction that were sold in Superior's 11/03 auction -
    71 Carlton PSA9
    75 Mini Reggie PSA9

I'm sure there are others, but I think it's interesting to see the trail of movement on some of the super-high-end cards.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MIKE - I was thinking the same thing, although with not specific examples. That the only hope these auction houses and us buyers have is that the nice stuff gets recycled and sells again. The statement that I penned a couple of years ago, still holds true...."We don't keep these cards, we just hold them for awhile"...jay
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    T'BOBS - Looks like the anniversary of that thread will be at the Cleveland National. I expect to see you Sellerman, Wayne, and of course Dave Parker this year image ...jay
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing. I haven't heard from Sellerman or Wayne, but I will there. Parker will not need to sleep on the floor in Cleveland I am sure.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    I wondered as well if it would be people's funds that would be the first to go. I keep hoping!

But on a similar track, I saw a CNN report yesterday about the prices being fetched in the ART world. There is an auction coming up soon where a painting is expected to fetch $100,000,000. They stated that the prices in the collectable world are reaching frenzy status, simialr to the entire decade of the 1980's.

• Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    It has been mentioned many times on many threads here that cards are not investments. Well, they are sure acting like stocks to me; many of which seem to be changing hands multiples of times. The good part is, other than vintage stars and modern rookie flashes-in-the-pan, many will not nosedive like my mutual fund portfolio did from 1999 to 2003.

Jim
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Fascinating

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al