Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is best way to dispose of acetone in an urban environment?

greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
I use this product only occasionally, and I always find myself wondering what to do with the several ounces I have left over after cleaning coins. On one occasion I simply set the glass container outside and let it evaporate. Is this the best way to dispose of acetone after use? Is it safe to pour it down a drain or toilet? Is it safe to pour on the ground outdoors? I live in a surburban environment and don't want to do anything goofy or that is likely to cost me money for household repairs due to improper disposal. Any advice from those more chemically inclined would be appreciated. I did 'read the label' and it said to consult a 'household environmetal disposal agency' about disposing of unused product. I did not find that directive helpful.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

Comments

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I just throw it out on the driveway and it evaporates in a few minutes but it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on it until it is all gone. mike
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    Get a light bulb and carefully remove the scre base.
    Fill it with your old acetone and stuff a rag on the end.
    Go out onto the street and light the rag with a lighter
    and toss the bulb out into the middle of the street:
    wooosshh!

heheh image
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,697
    I'd say to just find a safe place to let it evaporate - the stuff disapears so fast it shouldn't be a real problem....
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Put it in your cars gas tank.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Put it in your cars gas tank.

Not much more expensive than what I've been paying for regular gas.image

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Put it in your cars gas tank. >>

Not a bad suggestion really!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Put it out somewhere obvious and put a sign on it that says "free acetone" I got rid of a lot of stuff that way before I moved last.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Ok, Now, don't tell anyone I told you this.
    When you have dangerous chemicals to dispose of, and the cost is high to do that properly, here is a method that is efficent and cheap.
    Package the stuff well, and ship it UPS to the manufacturer. Of course you will use a phony return address. Works like a charm.

Ray
    If you get caught you can get your gluteus maximus in more hot water than you ever thought possible!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • HedgerHedger Posts: 1,238
    Just hang on to it. Use it to clean lawnmower parts or something. I wouldn't recommend dumping it in your gas tank if you have a fuel injected car. Acetone may damage fuel injectors.
    How is acetone THAT different from MTBE, ETBE or even ethanol as far as solvent power goes. It will only affect certain plastic parts.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Acetone may damage fuel injectors. >>
      Yes this is very true. Most don't know this but most injector cleaners do more damage than good to fuel injectors. mike
      Yes injector damage is something you may want to check out in advance of course.
      theknowitalltroll;
    • CapAnsonCapAnson Posts: 204
      Acetone isn't environmentally harmful, just pour it down the drain..
    • JadeRareCoinJadeRareCoin Posts: 2,768
      Have you ever considered reusing the acetone? Purchase a very fine mesh (or similar filter) and strain the solids (if any) from the acetone. Then reuse the acetone. Otherwise, you should accumulate used acetone in a safe container, then take the chemical to a local chemical disposal center.
      www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
    • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
      Acetone occurs naturally in the environment, albeit in small amounts. It's safe to let evaporate. At least according to the info I've seen. The MSDS on acetone should tell you in more detail
      Spent acetone should be distilled in order to reuse it on coins because that is the only way to remove the dissolved impurities. I agree that outside of its flammability it is relatively harmless and can be flushed down the drain with little to no harm to anything. If you have PVC plumbing mix it with a few gallons of water FIRST.
      theknowitalltroll;
    • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
      Flush it!
      It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think you have two options.
      1) Let it evaporate - tossing it on the hot driveway will make is go away quickest.
      2) Flush it - but flush twice. Acetone is miscible (dissolves) in water but more water is better.

Do not put it in a drain. Plenty dangerous unless chased with lots of water.
      Putting it in your vehicles gas tank would work, but who needs to take any chances. If the tank is over half full, the dilution of the acetone is such that there should be no issues with the injectors.
      Cameonut

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• weedkiller, dribble it on da weeds that grow along the side walks, driveway ,u know. Do not attempt ta kill weeds on lawn with the stuff. In full sun, a dose on the green of unwanted weeds will break their necks.
      ctf
    • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
      I put it in the pipe. It tends to smoothen out the harshness of the weed. But be very careful with the lighter or you will end-up doing a Pryor.image

Jim
    • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
      If you:

"Get a light bulb and carefully remove the scre base.
      Fill it with your old acetone and stuff a rag on the end.
      Go out onto the street and light the rag with a lighter
      and toss the bulb out into the middle of the street:
      wooosshh!"

You just may be a redneck. LOL

Jim
    • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
      What is wrong with all of you?

None of you are married or have girlfriends or have Moms? Put a bow on the top of the cap and give the acetone to any one of them as a Mother's Day present or in the alternative, just a present. They can use it as a nail polish remover. You didn't like the color of their nails anyway!

If you get any funny looks, just tell them it is the thought that counts.

See the next episode of Dear Abbu!
      A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    • Take it to a recycling facility...........do the right thing. Check the yellow pages, they are everywhere now. The enviornment is important to us, our kids, their kids, etc.....
      certifiedsilverdollar.com
      A site dedicated to the sale of rare and high MS grade Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. All coins are graded by ICG, PCGS, NGC, or Anacs, and are priced well below PCGS values.
    • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Take it to a recycling facility...........do the right thing. Check the yellow pages, they are everywhere now. The enviornment is important to us, our kids, their kids, etc..... >>

I say pour it in certifiedsilver's backyard!! image
    • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Give it to Ted Kennedy and tell him it is a drink!

I think if you just leave it there in a glass it pretty much takes care of itself. Leave a can of it open and it will be empty in no time with no intervention.
      Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
      recyle-weed killer

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file