Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does this happen?

I sent a coin to a board member. I mailed it in a cardboard mailer in an envelope. The slab was new (2 months old). It shows up at his house in 2 pieces. INCREDIBLE!! I can only imagine how the good old U.S. Postal service managed that one. I mean, think of the force it takes to crack a slab in half. I felt really bad and am going to replace the coin with one from my own collection, I just found it incredible. Thanks USPS.

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Put it in a box. Those in envelopes are run through sorters.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    It's a very common occurence. The cardboard mailer inside an envelope is thin enough so that it goes through the automated sorting machines. The rollers jam up at high speed when that thing hits and voila, broken slab. I never package like that any more after a high percentage of mine were arriving in more pieces than when I dropped them off. It's safer to use bubble mailers which due to their size are hand sorted.
  • Options
    nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    That is unfortunate, and nice of you to send another one as a replacement. That's a quality move IMO.

I always use a bubble mailer of some kind (and a cardboard mailer), which I think provides better protection. I give a lot of credit to my local USPS folks, I think they do a great job. Give them the benefit of the doubt, I know they aren't perfect!

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    JTK,

Does this answer your question?

David
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 29-D in 65RD that the same thing happend to... I couldnt find a pic of that one.

David
  • Options
    Package your coins in a sturdy box with plenty of packing peanuts and bubble wrap.

Most of these packages are practically thrown across the room and against a wall.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Sent it like the way you sent some coins to me...That's the savest way..

Dennis
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Anything thicker than 1/4 inch doesn't go through the sorter. That's why they require an extra 12 cents postage on 1 oz. I always use a bubble mailer (except for Registered, where they don't permit them as it's not paper) for this reason, and have never had a problem.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    My collector's coin slab from PCGS that I got when I first joined there 2 years ago arrived snapped in two as well. When I ship a slab, I do it with at least three layers of bubblewrap or in bubblewrap + box. Either way, it cannot be processed like regular mail so it doesn't go through the same wringers.
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315

Yep, happened to me. image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I'm taking a box of slabs to the post office to get cracked out this morning!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

Everyone,
    Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea how this could happen. As usual, this board is an excellent resource for information.
    I must also apologize for my harsh comments about USPS. I figured it was just careless handling....I guess careless packaging was equally to blame.

Lesson learned,

Jack
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wrap coins in bubble wrap and put them in a bubble mailer... never a cracked slab.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file