Home U.S. Coin Forum

how do you get Proof set graded?

How do you open a proof set to send in to PCGS to grade and cert. Do they do it for you? I was thinking maybe carefull dremmel trying like blazes not to touch the coin. I keep seeing them in slabs and just wondered, How do they get there?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will do it for you with the proviso that you have all coins in the set graded.

Russ, NCNE
  • cool thanks! image
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a pair o wire cutters and cut at the seam, the case will pop open like a ripe peach!
    Ken
  • Good question, I have been wondering if it is a good idea to crack them out or leave them in the plastic to be submitted. I have a few that have toned in the case, but did not want to crack them out in fear that they might come back as AT. In the original cases of some of the Kennedy's have developed some great toning.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    GOLDSAINT,

There is a fatal flaw in your logic, the graders never see that the coins came to PCGS in the original mint holder; thus, they are just as likely to call it questionable toning as coins submitted raw.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Steve, O.K. I can understand that, so how do you prevent your toned U.S.Gov. slabbed coins from being tagged as AT?

I have had several coins body bagged as At that I was pretty certain that were not, since they were collected in the 60'S and 70'S. back in those days collectors wanted everything Blast white, so if they were toned they dipped them.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Ive been sending em in right in the gov packaging.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file