Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this PVC?

If so, should I try to clean it with Acetone?

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope--just looks like some nasty corrosion
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    It looks like all oxidation which happens to copper over time. I don't think acetone will help. Maybe some others with more knowledge can chime in on this oneimage
  • Options
    Airplanenut: Is there anything I can do for corrosion?
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soak it in a clear mineral oil bath. Use a pre-moistened Q-swab to lightly lift off any excess debris after soaking it for 1 month. Repeat. Do not rub the swab against the coin.

Change the mineral oil every three months. A capped nickel or quarter plastic tube works great. This process wll take over one year.

The mineral oil will slightly darken the FE cent. That is the only negative outcome.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    It may also be a metal detector find that someone attempted to wash off the patina.

You could let it soak in olive oil for a month or so if you intend to put it in an album, but I don't think it will help retail value much.

Jim
  • Options
    Olive oil is marginally acceptable as a substitute for mineral oil.

If you change it at least once a month then you are ok with it since it will not yet turn rancid. If you wait more than 1 plus month to change the olive oil then it could turn rancid on you and ruin the coin.
  • Options
    One other thing. To dry the coin, squeeze dry it by using very soft paper tissue wrapped around the coin and squeeze hard using the finger and thumb (do not rub). Repeat using a slightly different and dry area of the tissue paper.

• Options
    Looks like verdigris, not PVC. Blue Ribbon conditioner may help a bit, but if the verdigris is removed, the pitted surface underneath
    will look at least as bad, likely worse.

Acetone won't hurt, but likely won't help.

(Taps in background, mournfully)
    Every day is a gift.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file