Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A very special 1872 Washington Head California Fractional 1/4 Dollar Gold Piece

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville:

Does PCGS give you a magnifying glass to go along with slab? More seriously, the Cal fractional gold coins are interesting. I wish I had the Breen/someone-else-but-I-can't-remember-who book. I think the book would be an interesting read.

One comment/question about these coins: A partial turnoff (to me) is that apparently a large number of these "coins" were actually just jewelry and were never meant to be coins. Is this belief of mine correct? And, if my understanding is correct, does it bother anyone who collects these cool little things?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Very small. Kinda reminds me Sylvester Stallone.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<<<<<<<<<<<Oreville: Does PCGS give you a magnifying glass to go along with slab? More seriously, the Cal fractional gold coins are interesting. I wish I had the Breen/someone-else-but-I-can't-remember-who book. I think the book would be an interesting read.
    One comment/question about these coins: A partial turnoff (to me) is that apparently a large number of these "coins" were actually just jewelry and were never meant to be coins. Is this belief of mine correct? And, if my understanding is correct, does it bother anyone who collects these cool little things? Thanks in advance for answers. Mark >>>>>>

Answers:
    (1) I wished I got a free magnifying glass from PCGS with each of these slabs. Is HRH listening?
    (2)You mean Breen-Gillio.
    (3)Indeed, the post 1855 were mostly minted as souvenirbut it is believed that a limited number them circulated as trade tokens up to and through the end of the civil war (1865) since silver coins was still difficult to come by in California. This is why they were called pocket pieces and not coins.
    (4) Your understanding is essentially correct and that yes, it could and SHOULD bother some collectors ...........but not me and see why..................take a look at what I am attempting to do. below: Once you see these gold coins/pocket pieces together then it becomes clear that my fascination is with great gold coins/pocket pieces of the 1860's and 1870's, big and small whether they intended to circulate or not and whether they were made of gold or not!

Tied with finest slabbed 1/4 dollar Cal Fractional gold:

Finest slabbed 1/2 dollar round Cal Fractional gold:

Finest slabbed $1 dollar Octagonal Cal Fractional Gold

Finest slabbed $5 1874 Proof
    Picture forthcoming

Finest slabbed $10 1874 Proof
    Picture forthcoming

Finest slabbed $20 Liberty Type II
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Those gold coins are nice!!!!

Dennis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file