Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it possible to see flow lines (die breaks and other errors) or die polish w/a 30X microscope?

I have a 30X MICRONTA pocket microscope my dad let me use. Is MICRONTA a quality brand? It has illumination. (built in light bulb). Pictures on my offical PCGS and on these forums I fail to see this swirling "die polish". Is it only on proof coins? I learned alot about counterfeits, as I'll need to(I collect gold coins only).

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Die breaks are usually visible to the naked eye under good lighting (see below). Die polish lines - 10X.
  • How about flow lines?
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a coin has strong die polish, you can see it with your naked eye, like this 1963 half dollar:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Same thing for flow lines, if you have strong ones you can see with naked eye......the higher mag will make it jump out nice.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

• << <i>Same thing for flow lines, if you have strong ones you can see with naked eye......the higher mag will make it jump out nice. >>

Is this true? I though flow lines were close to microscopic- but I'm just a beginer.

No one answered the OP. What power magnification in need to see flow lines?
  • I have a mint state seated quarter that shows a strong mirrored surface near the part of the rim. Otherwise, the coin has luster and is not PL. Is this bad news?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file