Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which 32-D Quarter do you like better? And Why?

rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭
Image #1:

Image #2:

Which 32-D Quarter do you like better? And Why?

Comments

• Options
    rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭
    Assuming both are in PCGS holders and have the same grade
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Lighting's a bit harsh, but the second has a bit cleaner fields.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    The first has more luster but more "hits" while the second has a weak strike or could be AU...hard to tell from the pics. I'll go with the first.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    There is no hiding anything from a scanner unlike digital cameras, especially a scanner cranked up

to extreme sharpness and 600 resolution. Every time I sell coins like on my sig line, that's what I

boost my scanner up to. Believe me, if a coin passes a scanner tast under those conditions

you really have something. Scanners are brutally honest and will make even the most pristeen coins

look bad. Both of these coins are gorgeous in real life. Tough call! Flip a coin!image
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Are these your two new ms64 32-d quarters boom?
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Sorry for the late reply but the answer is yes. They do not look like these high powered scans at all.

I suppose next time I can tone down on the sharpness and the resolution. The first one is an all natural, undipped White beauty and the second is equally as beautiful, if not more but not as White.

The reason it appears as one poster says "weaker struck" is because of the White natural toning that covers the details. I don't have the balls to try to dip a $7000 coin. If I was confident and could remove this natural White cloudiness off of it you would see that it is truly the better of the two.

Recall around Christmas when I won my first PCGS 63? That's it! If I had it in the hands of a Master such as manofcoins or Bobzap they could maybe get a 5 out of it whereas the top one will never be better than it is right now.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Assuming they are both UNC, I like the second one. The two little dots on the first one are in a very bad place -- immediately the nicks catch your eye....image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see any stacking rub on these coins yet I "see" one small flat spot in the hair curl of GW in the first coin and two larger flat spots in the second coin. That does not make sense to me since there should be other evidence of wear or major luster break. I see none. That is why I always have trouble with scans.

The first coin seems to have lovely luster with the usual bag marks and the second coin looks cleaner.

I am having difficulty assigning a grade to either coin although my eye likes the first coin more despite the bagmarks on the first coin.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    At first glance I would say the first one, but after close inspection I prefer the second one...

Dennis
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I'm with dennis.I much prefer the cleaner fields.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them both equally.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second coin appears cleaner and a stronger 4, but I unlike several prefer white washington quarters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file