Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OK-a question for the REAL experts!

Some refer to them as Milk spots. In this particular case the word "spot" is not at all appropo.

I am referring to a cloudiness in the silver mixture itself. Can anyone explain this to me- to ALL of us?

Just exactly what is this, why is it and is it good or bad? I have heard certain "opinions"..........

NOW I would put this "out there" for the REAL experts/ metalurgists to shed some light on.

Thanks'
BOOMimage

Comments

• Options
    rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭
    Are you referring to the haziness in a proof coin field? Almost like a chalky substance on top the normally dark mirrors? If so then it may be able to be removed with eZest or a similar cleaner mixed 50-50 with water, then a quick dip in a good pure isopropyl alcohol, then rinse with distilled water twice. Be very quick about it and be sure to let them dry properly after a thorough rinse. I am not responsible if you ruin your coins though. I would try it on a cheap proof coin like a 64 Kennedy cameo image
  • Options
    To vague... can you post a picture.... Could be PVC damage....
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Well, I guess there are numerous types of milk spots. When I use the term, I am referring to those whose source is the Mint. My understanding is that it was caused by the ways planchets were washed.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    This is on regular silver coins...not necessarily Proof. I have not had time to practice putting pix up

here but if your email address is in your profile I can send YOU a pic and YOU can post it. Only

trouble is I don't know if this will show up under the intense light of a scanner's lamp!...Yes, a

"cloudiness"!
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

guess there are numerous types of milk spots. When I use the term, I am referring to those whose source is the Mint.

I'm no expert by a long shot, but when I use the term "milk spot" I also think of this.

Had a proof Washington with milk in the date area. Dipped it in EZEST, 50/50 mix--didn't even put a dent in the milk. Dipped again at full strength, barely any noticeable difference.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    "Cloudiness" is not milk spots. This is milk spots:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Rlawsha...pix sent thru email.
  • Options

"Cloudiness" is not milk spots. This is milk spots

this is precisely what was on my proof. Not entirely sure if it left the mint with the milk, however the coin was intact in a proof set with the milk spot.

Russ, have you tried to dip it off?
  • Options
    Thanks Russ, that's not it though. It's a cloudiness. I can send you a scan to your email and maybe you can do something with it. I'll send it under low resolutionimage

Coming your way too Russ. Let me know if I should go with even lower resolution OK?image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ, have you tried to dip it off? >>

Milk spots are not dippable. Since they're mint caused, they're embedded in the planchet. Unfortunately, it is a very common problem with my favorite coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Milk spots are not dippable. Since they're mint caused, they're embedded in the planchet. Unfortunately, it is a very common problem with my favorite coin.

must be the same stuff.....I've tried unsuccessfully to dip.
  • Options
    Here is the coin in question:

Kind of looks like overall haze to me but it's hard to tell.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The "haze" on that 32 quarter is toning and not mint produced. The lack of proper cleaning of the planchet for either proof or MS coins causes "milk" spots. I have a PCGS MS69 with some milk spots.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    This coin from day one has always been in a PCGS slab. Bought it that way along with several others. Seems to me it would come off with a proper bath-right?

Perfect example you showed Russ. I've seen those on proofs as well. THAT is "Milk spots"!
    THAT doesn't come off as it's IN the metal-right?

WOW, I wish I had read before I posted! Steve, thinking that those spots would bring low
    grades, I basically gave away some nice coins now that you say that-as extra bonuses.image
  • Options
    Here is another scan from boom:

• Options
    So, what's the consensus? 1) Leave it alone or 2) Give it a proper bath to remove the haziness.

If I take this off will it impact the grade in a positive way or would it still techniically grade the

same whether it's on the coin or off?image I know that if I do it wrong it could potentially

lower the grade, too.
  • Options
    How about a little more info like what is the mint mark and what grade did PCGS give to this quarter? I would not crack it out to clean it. It looks good to me just the way it is. If it is a 32-D or 32-S I might send it to NCS for conserving if I thought it would go back in a holder at the same or higher grade level.

• Options
    Actually, it's an expensive PCGS 64 1932-D and I don't have the nerve to risk ruining it......

HOWEVER if it does come off successfully-the coin has 65 properties! Tough call image
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743

<< <i>guess there are numerous types of milk spots. When I use the term, I am referring to those whose source is the Mint.

I'm no expert by a long shot, but when I use the term "milk spot" I also think of this.

Had a proof Washington with milk in the date area. Dipped it in EZEST, 50/50 mix--didn't even put a dent in the milk. Dipped again at full strength, barely any noticeable difference. >>

Yep, that's a milk spot alright! I have never heard of an effective way to remove them.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, it's an expensive PCGS 64 1932-D >>

PCGS 1932-D MS 64 value: $6,750
    PCGS 1932-D MS 65 value: $30,000

Yikes!!!

Now I see why you are curious. I will defer the rest of this thread to someone who has had experience in this area.

The types of coins I usually deal with cost less than $100, usually a lot less image
  • Options
    Yes, that's the GOOD side but if I blow it and it comes back worse off, graded lower-UH-OH!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file