Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

It was painful, but I did it.

Just threw away about 15,000 cards. Kept all the bigger stars (Bagwell, Mussina, Chipper, Helton, Big Hurt, etc) and all the higher $ brands (SP Authentic, SPx, Pristine, Heritage, Donruss Signature) but threw everything else away. Hated to do it but they were taking over my house (these were just the cards that were in shoeboxes on the floor and in stacks on the desk, counters, dressers, etc. The cards in 5000 count boxes in all the closets are another week's work. Would have loved to send the cards to someone for free but shipping would have been 5x more than they were worth. Would have loved to give them to a children's hospital but I could just see the disappointment on the kid's face when he opens the box to reveal 88 Donruss, 95 Score, 98 Upper Deck, Todd Van Poppel RCs, countless Mo Vaughns, Brady Andersons, John Oleruds, Jose Vidros, etc. Could not bring myself to throw away any Sportflics! After all these years they're still too cool! lol I just hope Rick Ankiel, Josh Hamilton, Ben McDonald, Bud Smith, etc. don't decide to make any amazing comebacks. If so, look for me at the city dump.

Comments

• MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Disappointment is a bitter pill, but a kid in a hospital bed might prefer seeing an 88 donruss common to another needle or catheter; just my opinion.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I admire you for having the guts to do it. I need to do the same thing. I have a garage full of junk cards. I agree with you about the Sportflics. I still enjoy looking at them.

Shane

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just threw away about 15,000 cards. Kept all the bigger stars (Bagwell, Mussina, Chipper, Helton, Big Hurt, etc) and all the higher $ brands (SP Authentic, SPx, Pristine, Heritage, Donruss Signature) but threw everything else away. Hated to do it but they were taking over my house (these were just the cards that were in shoeboxes on the floor and in stacks on the desk, counters, dressers, etc. The cards in 5000 count boxes in all the closets are another week's work. Would have loved to send the cards to someone for free but shipping would have been 5x more than they were worth. Would have loved to give them to a children's hospital but I could just see the disappointment on the kid's face when he opens the box to reveal 88 Donruss, 95 Score, 98 Upper Deck, Todd Van Poppel RCs, countless Mo Vaughns, Brady Andersons, John Oleruds, Jose Vidros, etc. Could not bring myself to throw away any Sportflics! After all these years they're still too cool! lol I just hope Rick Ankiel, Josh Hamilton, Ben McDonald, Bud Smith, etc. don't decide to make any amazing comebacks. If so, look for me at the city dump. >>

did you say 1988 Donruss?
    ·p_A·
  • AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭

Some Charities will even come by and pick stuff up. Local Churches? Veterans Hospitals? Please check sometimes all it takes is a friendly email and a few minutes (ok set aside 1 hour) AND it can be used in your taxes as a charatible contribution. (But please check with your tax advisor first)

What state do you live in and what is the nearest "major" city?

• << <i>

<< <i>Just threw away about 15,000 cards. Kept all the bigger stars (Bagwell, Mussina, Chipper, Helton, Big Hurt, etc) and all the higher $ brands (SP Authentic, SPx, Pristine, Heritage, Donruss Signature) but threw everything else away. Hated to do it but they were taking over my house (these were just the cards that were in shoeboxes on the floor and in stacks on the desk, counters, dressers, etc. The cards in 5000 count boxes in all the closets are another week's work. Would have loved to send the cards to someone for free but shipping would have been 5x more than they were worth. Would have loved to give them to a children's hospital but I could just see the disappointment on the kid's face when he opens the box to reveal 88 Donruss, 95 Score, 98 Upper Deck, Todd Van Poppel RCs, countless Mo Vaughns, Brady Andersons, John Oleruds, Jose Vidros, etc. Could not bring myself to throw away any Sportflics! After all these years they're still too cool! lol I just hope Rick Ankiel, Josh Hamilton, Ben McDonald, Bud Smith, etc. don't decide to make any amazing comebacks. If so, look for me at the city dump. >>

did you say 1988 Donruss? >>

whoa nelly! I threw away a Lenny Dykstra that looked to be a 10!
  • DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of post-1980 cards, but the Donruss cards of the mid-to-late '80s are really sharp looking.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    MR Rookie,
    Disappointed you didn't do the old--Ebay liquidation collection including 52 Mantle, 34 Gehrig, 33 Ruth. All you had to do was break the cards down into 3000 lots of 5 card packs and sell them for $8.99.

This is a little area we should mention when it comes to scumbaggus behaviorus in the hobby. Also, we haven't hit on Packus Openus and Resealus. There are plenty of those too.

Thanks for keeping the population report down,

S.
  • Hey Scumbi,

Don't forget the buy the unused pack wrappers and stuff them full of that years common cards and sell the packs as unopened material or worse yet do this 36 times then buy an empty box from that year and sell the thing as unopened wax. image

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    ---------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)

• no way I'd ever try selling them in Dutch lots on ebay making people think they have a chance at a high dollar card, I'd surely go to hell for that
  • you guys should have sent them to yawie99 or ydsotter, both teach special ed classes and use commons as a reward for their students, they are even willing to help pay the costs of shipping.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    ditto on DBJ77!

All you had to do was make an annoucement on this message board and we would have taken the burden off your hands. You did an aweful thing because Ydsotter could have used them for sure and brought smiles to so many kids faces and promoted the hobby.

I can understand getting rid of clutter around the house, but there is someone out there who can always use on man's clutter. With today's technology of mass communication in a quick manner without costing anything, it is a tragedy to get rid of the stuff you did. Well, on a postive note, its guys like you that will make the 1988 donruss set valuable in 2030.

You mentioned John Olerud? I like that player....second only to Mattingly. How could you just throw him away.

On a serious note, you had the right to do whatever you want, but I just wanted to make a point that one person's junk, is another man's treasure. This board was the right resource to use for your dilemma.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • yes... it's true... there are hordes of 4th and 5th graders in my school that go nuts over these...

it's good to clear things out though...
    after 4 years of patience, my wife has finally parted with her gazillion stuffed animals, ceramic statuettes and other hallmark collectibles...

it's a good feeling to erase the clutter.

• Unfortunately, it's too late for these cards, but maybe these messages will prevent it from happening again with other collectors. Yes, I'm sure that there are lots of kids out there who would love to have these cast-offs.image
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Don't fool yourselves. Those kids know the Beckett Guide better than their math books. You would have mauled for high numbers and forced to bring the good ones in at gunpoint. Plus, the girls would have made you go out and buy Alias cards for all of them. They catch you looking at those in class and you're on sixth month sabatical facing a battery of psych tests.image
  • AdamLeeAdamLee Posts: 36
    I recently did the same, very hard to get rid of of em, I went through all the boxes for the millionth time to make certain I was not losing anything I wnated, but I ended up giving them to my local card shop and traded them all for maybe like 50 bucks worth of supplies. Was a great deal for me because I had to simply get them out of the house, plus I can not stand spending cash that could go to more wax or singles I want on costly supplies, so this really worked out well for me anyways.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I have tons of these aswell. I have a good 100,000 commons stacked up in my card room. Luckily my dad has a spare room for me to store all this stuff. Not sure what I will do with all of them, I don't think there is much use in trying to sell them. I remember about 5 years ago I traded tons and tons of commons for like $300 worth of good Jordan inserts back when I collected Jordan so that was a great deal. Maybe I will run across another chance like that and get to unload them all, I had to pay for all those 3,200 and 5,000 count boxes so hopefully I can get somethin for them someday. Dosn't really bother me to keep them, after all they don't eat much.
  • ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    Allen...They don't eat, but I'd recommend keeping that door shut if you get a girlfriend. Best to go to a garage sale and pick up some trophies and decorate the card room and your room with them. I'll give you "You're welcome" in advance.

S.