Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1961 uncut sheet 5th Series auction

Click here

Interesting facts:

Corner cards are 379-Shantz, 428-Barker, 432-Veal, 436-Maloney. Barker is listed as an SP and Maloney is tough.
Checklists for both 5th and 6th series are included, meaning the 5th Series one was likely the 2nd version.
Eleven cards from that series not on sheet are 375-Boyer, 376-Roarke, 383-Frisco First liners, 394-Walters, 396-Aspromonte, 401-Ruth, 409-Johnson, 416-Howser, 419-Borland, 425-Berra and 427-Ellsworth. Supposedly those are on a second half sheet along with 55 "DPs" from this sheet.
The Clemente on this sheet does NOT have that pesky red dot on the upper corner found on so many of his cards.

Comments

• MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Awesome piece, TG - thanks for the insightful research as well. Notice the bottom row of cards are almost all tough ones, including Ty Cline and Charley Neal.
    I feel a hunger coming on!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Good spot, Toppsgun

Almost that entire bottom row are confirmed SPs--it's probably safe to now consider the Hawk Taylor and Checklist variation as SPs also.

This also confirms-at least for me- what someone posted long ago about checklists being printed on multiple sheets. Thus, the mystery card for the high-numbered sheet is almost certainly the checklist.

I'm not sure that Maloney and Barker are corner cards--I thought the cards were cut from 132 card sheets, in which case either the top or bottom row of what is on Ebay is in fact the middle of the whole sheet. I'd vote that Maloney and Barker are in the middle row.

Notice the Braves team card is on this sheet, and Jack Fisher is not. This confirms the guides-- the Braves Team is simply misnumbered as 463, instead of 426, since the sheet is comprised of card #s 371-446 (excluding checklists). Fisher no doubt is on the next sheet.

It'll be interesting to see how high this goes. Hopefully, the winner will not have the sheet cut, and thereafter soak/press the wrinkles out for submission. image
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings
  • The bottom row (Barker to Maloney) are all confirmed "toughies" while the top row are not. That leads me to believe this is the bottom half of a full sheet.

However, the border on the bottom is tiny, while the border on the top is wide, leading me to question my conclusion above.

You are correct on the Braves Team and probably so, too, on the checklist. The first printing probably had the misspelled LOUIS Aparicio and subsequent runs had the more abundant LUIS version.

I also thought of this: if the sheets were rolled paper at some point, maybe that's why some vending cards have the "curl" to them. One of my collecting buddies quit (as a kid) in 1961. He has almost the entire run (singles, not a sheet) of 1st and 2nd series (up to #196) in GEM MINT condition. I've almost got him convinced to send them in for grading, but he's still holding out. Anyway, they are curled substantially and look like they could've been rolled into a tube at one time.