Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

These are cool. Paris Mint die trials from 1700's/1800's.

Have you seen this type of item before? Really neat. I am guessing that they poured white metal into one half of each die to check the design in postive (die is negative). I have not reasearched the medals yet, but I am sure that will be quite a challenge.

imageimage
www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Comments

• Options
    How thick are they? I know the Paris mint at least would pour a thin layer of tin on a flat surface and then test a die in progress.

Here's an example from 1806:

You can see where the tin was roughly trimmed.
    Then, later in the process I know they used white metal blanks like this:

I've never seen any as old as some of the ones that appear in your pic... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Vern, these are very thin and probably tin. I am just guessing on the date, as I am relatively new to the field of medals. I am going to research the medals and I will post what I find. Thanks for the info. image

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    image You will also find they poured lead as well as tin/white metal for trials.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Is their a reference that deals with die trials from the Paris Mint (or other mints)? image