Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

wow.. 88 donruss psa 9?

Comments

• CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Someone was desperate... you can buy a whole case for that price (almost)... the Nolan Ryan doesn't even go for half that when it comes up on ebay... amazing what some people will do when a bad case of ebay fever strikes!
  • damn, and i was hoping to steal this with my $4 bid
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow, I might understand .56, but $56? This guy will wake up tommorrow, and feel quite stupid...
  • It wasn't just one guy, there were two of them with significant Ebay feedbacks, so my guess is they both wanted the card for their George Brett Player sets on the Registry. The Pop report shows that only 3 PSA 9's exist.

Keith,

There are 22 Ryan PSA 9's and 1 PSA 10 from the 88 Donruss set so I wouldn't imagine that prices would go that high for a Ryan, even though the 88 Donruss's are a pain to find nicely centered.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    EBay UserId : sjeanblanc
    -----------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Scott;

I wasn't aware of the Pop Report for the Brett and Ryans cards (I need to check it more often!)... must be the reason 2 bidders would go so high for that Brett! There was a long run of those PSA 9 Ryans on eBay maybe 2 to 2.5 years ago... one after another came up from the same seller with a minmum bid of $14.99... I got mine from that run back then for I think the minimum... Wow! only 1 PSA 10! And Larry Emard has it (KING KELLOGG)... wonder if he'd part with it???
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone was desperate... you can buy a whole case for that price (almost)... the Nolan Ryan doesn't even go for half that when it comes up on ebay... amazing what some people will do when a bad case of ebay fever strikes! >>

Yeah, but then you have to put up with a case of '88 Donruss and potentially the corresponding nagging.
  • 1988 Donruss is a VERY tough issue to get in gem mt grade. Only 19 10's out of 2700+ graded. Less than 1%.
    Yes, my ebay id is cardboardjungle.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The schmidtty got $22+ aswell
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Easy to find - yes. Easy to find in top grade - no.

Value for someone else to do the legwork and find me a GEM MINT example: PRICELESS.

I've found the Schmidt in PSA 9 pretty easy - but I haven't been able to get the #BC-4 subset Schmidt in above an 8. Lots of cards from these years were massively overproduced - but the quality sucks - and my time and energy isn't worth going through thousands.

Main offendors as of late: 1988 Donruss, 1989 Donruss, and 1985 Topps. 1986 Topps was annoying, but I've now solved. 1989 Topps is pretty annoying, too. I'm 15 for 15 in submissions - getting PSA 9s, no 8s, but no 10s. GRRR
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.