Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA reg numbers on the scans

Hey, what is everyone's opinion of including the certification number on the scans of cards in the PSA set registry? I've been just scanning and putting the pics on there without blotting out the number, but am worried that someone will steal the pics and use them for fraudulant auctions. For example, check out this auction where Marshall Fogel's '52 Topps Mantle pic got stolen.

Ripped off photo

Now granted I don't have a nice card like this one in my set, but I guess it could still happen.
You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set

Comments

• Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I'm starting to notice a lot of Top Tier 1/1 GEMs once owned by me that others put in their sets have been replaced recently with 9s.One person told me that he's just going to keep them in a safe deposit box and I just came back from the Trammell registry to notice the 10 has vanished.

It's probably a good idea to hide your cert #s since people have been taking Fogel cards and a few others and posting false auctions.

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Disgusting... talk about an invasion of privacy! I don't post pics, but if I ever do, I will definitely blot out the numbers... gotta do everything possible to protect yourself and others.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm a little confused here ( I think it happened once before, but not sureimage ), couldn't some scum-bag still steal the photo with the number blanked out and post it in their auction? The seller then could go into the plea of "I am protecting other people from those stealing PSA numbers, so I blanked out the number - please e-mail for the serial number". He would then e-mail a bogus (although authentic and verified with that particular card) PSA number to the requester? The serial number may not be the exact PSA number, but it would match one of the cards in that grade, so it would appear genuine (PSA numbers for a particular card and grade are not hard to come by at all)

Just my opinion, if a crook wants to be a crook, they will find a way around whatever is out there to "protect" the cards (blank out numbers for example).

Is it worth going through the work of blanking out the numbers and making the photos look kind of jacked up??

Just curious....

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that it really is necessary to blot out the cert numbers.....just my opinion.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Yeah, good point...if a crook wants to be a crook, they'll find a way. I'm just looking for any excuse not to resubmit all my photos back into my set.
    You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set