Home PSA Set Registry Forum

'52 Topps Mantle PSA 10 - your opinion?

Hey, I just saw the following item on Ebay. Can't tell much from the scan, but I'm leery of this card. What is your opinion?

'52 Topps Mantle
You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set

Comments

• unless Fogel sold his Mantle, it's a scam.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think this guy is trying to put the wammie on someone.....3 day listing etc..............sounds too good to be true....it prolly is
    Good for you.

here is Marshall's card from his registry set. obvious scam. i sent the seller a nasty email, let's see if he responds
  • lol, I didn't even check to see if it was Fogel's card, but sure enuff, it is. Can't this be reported to eBay as fraud?

• << <i>lol, I didn't even check to see if it was Fogel's card, but sure enuff, it is. Can't this be reported to eBay as fraud? >>

already did.
  • Thanks for reporting it. I just sent him a nasty email too, but it bounced back.

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't this be reported to eBay as fraud? >>

This is a clear case of fraud and the seller deserves to be thrown in jail. I'm sure when notified, eBay will cancel his current account. No sense getting bad press by prosecuting this guy...jay
  • NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hey Guys, I've got an idea. Why doesn't someone tell the bidders that it's a scam? One of them might make this guy an offer on the side and be out some big money. Neil
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    WHERE DO THESE IDIOTS COME FROM!! ARE THEY ACTUALLY BIRTHED, OR DO THEY BREED THEM IN A VAT SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE OF OMAHA?! If you're going to steal a scan and try to bilk someone out a few bucks, do it with an '82 Topps Traded Ripken PSA 10; or a 1987 Fleer Bonds. Don't do it with one of the five most famous slabs in existence.

My feeling on this kind of stuff is two fold; first, I'm offended by it because it's fraudulent. And secondly, I'm offended by it because it's so inexcusably stupid. I can deal with the guys selling trimmed Pujols and Prior RC's in BGS 10 slabs, since at least a move like that requires a little moxie and know-how. But this kind of stuff just flat-out disgusts me; like someone mugging an Amish guy in a back alley. It's criminal, yes, but it's also just so damn stupid. There should be a law that tacks an extra three years on a sentence anytime somone commits a crime that offends the notion of human intelligence.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Very true, boopotts. Look at the number 10 on this guy's scam scan...you can't even make out the second digit. A card of this magnitude would be displayed with many large scans, of both sides...and sold by a major dealer, not a guy with 55 feedback.

By the way, look at what this seller purchased last : 1987 Topps George Brett #400 PSA 5 EX

Not quite a 52 Mantle, eh?
  • purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Boopotts - I hope that Omaha crack wasn't based on your response to my thread I started.
  • Has anyone emailed Mr. Fogel about this (since it's his card)? Perhaps he could get local law enforcement after the guy trying to sell it. We all know that all Ebay will do is stop the auction and MAYBE cancel wammie1's account. I've made a PDF file of the auction in case Ebay pulls it.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • perhaps whammie needs more cash to finance his 1987T psa 5 set (see his last transaction)image
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you CON40?

Why are people stupid enough to bid on that?

Shane

• CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Where are you CON40?

LOL! I'm observing silently on this one... didn't feel like fanning the flames on this one as it seems like its in good hands and will soon go away.

But, I am not idle! I did file another fraud complaint with ebay (I have that page bookmarked now!).

Someday, I really want to hear that one of these cretinous vermin gets convicted to few years of showers with the "big boys"! LOL! image
    Here's a copy of my email to eBay this morning:

This item belongs to a gentleman named Marshall Fogel and is in his private collection and currently not for sale. This seller hijacked the image from the PSA website and is auctioning it as his own property. The card has a market value of approximately $250,000, making this a potential felony crime. Please stop this auction immediately and prosecute the seller as he is intentionally attempting to defraud a bidder of a huge sum of money.

Let's see what happens! I have a notion to bid a huge amount so this becomes a slam dunk case of wire fraud, plus other charges such as felony larceny, etc, etc...
  • Keith...did you get a reply from eBay...the last time I submitted a fraud report...I never heard back from them???
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
    Henri;

It's eBay's SOP to not notify you of any proceedings that you are not involved with as a bidder or seller... it kinda kills the "curiosity factor" if you know what I mean! I guess the only way to know is keep checking the link until you see it listed as an "invalid item"... then you know you have achieved some success!
  • I can't tell which is worse...the guy selling the card...or the idiots bidding for it...most look like there somewhat new to eBay...but still...I guess WC Fields was correct when he said..."there's a sucker born every minute"...or was that P.T. Barunam...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the bidders on this card are simply trying to get his contact info before the auction is cancelled, so that they will have a better record to present to the FBI.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Isn't "wammie" Marshall Fogel's EBAY ID?? image

Elaine on Seinfeld: "Fake....Fake....Fake.....Fake!"
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

<< <i>thiscardismarshallfogels >>

Your current high bidder! Gotta love it.
  • LOL, who is the smart ass who bid on the card using the id "thiscardismarshallfogels". HAHA...that's hilarious.

On a side note, I did email all the bidders (except for the one mentioned above of course) that the auction is a scam. Two replied back, thanking me for the info.

• spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭

<< <i>LOL, who is the smart ass who bid on the card using the id "thiscardismarshallfogels". HAHA...that's hilarious.q]

This is my new alternate ID. I couldn't resist. My max bid is $14999.99 because I didn't want to put a credit card on file. Hoping eBay takes it down before it tops $15K.

Already received a bunch of emails about the new ID through eBay Contact a Member.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Steve-

It absolutely wasn't. In fact, I didn't know you were from Nebraska until a minute ago when I read your tagline.

FWIW, I appreciate-- and largely agree with- your assessment of the spirit of the Reilly article; at the very least I can understand your anger.
  • spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    The guy cancelled my bid image
  • Yeah, I saw that.....Here's an email I just sent to the loser:

"Hey, I've contacted eBay about your fraudulant auction. I see that you stole the picture of the PSA 10 Mantle from the set registry. The card you have pictured is Marshall Fogel's card. You will be brought up on felony charges if the auction ends and you collect money for the card. So either end the auction, or be prepared for the cops to be knocking on your door soon."

Apparently eBay doesn't give a rip and is keeping his auction up.

I see you are back in, though...keep on him! image
  • Just sent a message to every bidder, referring them to this board. Hope they heed our advice.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just emailed the seller this email -

"Hey,

That card is awesome! Would you be willing to end it early? Would you take $95,000? That is all my wife will let me spend on cards this week. I could fly my lear jet to South Dakota and meet you and pick it up personally. Please let me know."

Let's see if I get a reply. image

Shane

• Let's all bid on this and get it over a $100,000 !! I'm pretty sure that would me jail time!
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I think this guy's been pulling this stuff before...a few months back, some idiot tried to re-sell the PSA 7 '54 Topps set that was sold for about 18k. He used the same exact description and photos from the first sale. Anyhow that goofball was from Lead, SD, which is right next to Deadwood. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if this is that same clown.
    How is this still going on? What more does Ebay need to pull the plug?
  • bill7549bill7549 Posts: 182
    Yeah, I think several of us have tried to clue eBay in on the fact that this is a scam, yet it just keeps going. What a bunch of slackers over there!

• jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    If I had a PSA 10 Mantle rookie, and I wanted to sell it, I'd make I sure I taped the words "This card is John's" across the front before posting on eBay. Surely that would soothe any worries about authenticity.
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    And I have to say, nobody who can pay five figures for a baseball card would NOT know there is only one PSA 10 Mantle rookie. I agree with whoever said that some among us are setting up this bozo. I hope it works.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrdolan,

Actually, there are three PSA 10 '52 Topps Mantles according to the PSA population report.

Steve
    So, wammie's makes 4? (I'm kidding, of course.)
  • BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>jrdolan,

Actually, there are three PSA 10 '52 Topps Mantles according to the PSA population report.

Steve >>

but the Scan he is using in his auction is a
    STOLEN scan of Fogel's from the PSA Registry...

(which is reason enough NOT to post scans there...)

~jeff
    imageimage
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(which is reason enough NOT to post scans there...) >>

BKAH - It doesn't matter, then the crook would just lift a scan off of a Mastro's auction, or an eBay auction or anywhere else that a card image is stored...jay
  • bill7549bill7549 Posts: 182
    Hey, the doofus ended his auction early. Hopefully, it was eBay that pulled it and not some other dummy making a side deal for the "card".

• schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If eBay had ended it, the auction wouldn't exist any more. Hopefully the guy got cold feet and decided time in a federal prison wouldn't look so great on a college transcript.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKAH,

I completely agree with you, and would absolutely love to see sellers (crooks) like this rot in he!!. I was simply pointing out to jrdolan that there are more than one PSA 10 '52 Topps Mantle. I was in no way trying to lessen the abhorent nature of the referenced auction.

Steve
  • pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>BKAH,

I completely agree with you, and would absolutely love to see sellers (crooks) like this rot in he!!.
    Steve >>

well since you're a considerate soul i dont think YOU'll see them rot in hell
    and i'm certain YOU dont want to SEE THEM there.

Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    easy with the olive branches......... hoss

edited to say:
    No picking on the idiot (s)