Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

OK Im just full of them tonight

The "National Trading Day Cards" were they not "free" handouts? Just curious.

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    yes i heard that certain card shops had them and were to give them out for free, why Jim lol
    Good for you.
  • AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Just curious then on why people would be allowed to sell them by the cases. Unless of course the shops had to pay for them. I mean I saw that as something to "pull" people into the hobby and they SHOULD (at least still in their packs/boxes/cases) still be free. Course that is just my opinion and I do not think "less" of anyone for selling them. It just seems wierd. Like my pselling.
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    From what I've heard the dealers all paid about a buck a piece for the "kits", they weren't free for the dealers.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "National Trading Day Cards" were they not "free" handouts? >>

Jim
    SCD reported some 'reader' feedback to the effect that some shops did not participate and left customers high and dry to find a shop - it is possible those 'non'participators got the sets and dumped them - if so, that is exactly the kind of thing that gives local shops a bad name. On the other front, shops reported high sales and brisk traffic. American legends in Scarsdale, NY said they had 250 sets to give away. National trading day? Overall, I believe a good start in the right direction to promote the hobby.
    What does everyone think about the viability of the local card shop?
    Mike
    Mike
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I like my local card shop to pick up some packs and chit-chat baseball... and he had the National Trading Day sets, 100 of them, and ended up with 30 left over... he saw eBay was flooded and just hung onto them. He gave me three... It's tough to find decent vintage stuff in local shops. Seems like just a few will invest in that kind of inventory because the turnover can be slow.
  • ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    50 years from now, I bet they are the new Wilson Franks in terms of price and rarity. Stupider things have happened.