Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Filed under T for the Twilight Zone - Phantom Nolan Ryan

I'm putting together a month end submission and came across some nice 1987 Ralston Nolan Ryans - couldn't find it in SMR, Pop report, or even the Ryan master set that Mudflap linked a few days ago. What's up with this card? Does it really exist or am I, my god, in the, in the....have I just stepped into the twilight zone?image

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    If it isn't listed, it does not exist.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have seen that set. The hats are airbrushed out if I remm correctly. it was sanctioned only by the players association not MLB company's would do that to save some fees.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm - interesting point. The '84 Ralston cards were issued with Topps, logos on hats, licensed issue; the '87s were issued with Mike Shecter, no logos, no licensing (?) - I loved the '87 Kraft cards too, but I'm guessing neither issue is gradable through PSA - is that correct?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Did someone say Nolan Ryan?? The new thread title defintiely caught my attention!

Morrelman is correct... this is an MSA issue and is readily available. It is listed in the big Beckett in the 1987 Ralston Purina Star Lineup set. I have a few of them. The most intersting thing is that they are a bit shorter than a standard card. I dunno why. Any ideas?

Sorry to dampen your hopes of having a really scarce Ryan! image
  • Options
    The Nolan Ryan Master set is far and away not complete. We (Nolan Ryan Players set members) are working to compile a complete list of his cards from 1968 - 1994 that PSA will grade and this card is in my list.

The 1987 Ralston Purina Nolan Ryan is listed in the Sports Collectors Digest catalog, so PSA should grade it. As far as I can see on the submission sheet there are no licensing restrictions specified.

------Cut from the PSA submission form-------------------------

THE FOLLOWING IS A COMPLETE LIST OF CARDS
    PSA grades most cards that are catalogued in major sportscard publications, including Sports Market Report (SMR), Krause Standard Catalogs (Baseball, Basketball, football), and Beckett Price Guides. The following is a list by category:

MINOR LEAGUE CARDS

Minor League cards that are regular issue, regular size, post-war cards manufactured by TCMA, Pro Cards, Best, Fleer, Classic, Grandstand, Just, Multi-Ad, Skybox, Upper Deck, Signature Rookies, team issued sets and all other minor leagues in major catalogues.
    FOREIGN CARDS

All regular issue, regular size cards manufactured by Topps, Bowman, Fleer, Donruss, Leaf, Score, Upper Deck, etc.

Japanese: Menko, Calbee, BBM, Panini Sticker and Fournier Estrellas, Takara, Future Bee.
    NON-SPORTSCARDS

All regular issue, regular size, post-war cards manufactured by Topps, Bowman, Fleer, Philadelphia Gum, Gum Inc., Donruss.

Pre-war gum and candy cards manufactured by Goudey, National Chicle, Jolly Roger Ice Cream, Mickey Mouse, etc.
    OTHER CARDS

Hand numbered replacement cards accompanied by original letter of authorization from manufacturer, 1998 and later.
    Autographed cards direct from manufacturer dated 1998 and later.
    Autographed cards authenticated by PSA/DNA.
    Hand cut cards such as Bazooka, Post Cereal, and varieties of Pre-war Strip cards.

All card issues vary in size. Occasionally, a card from the above listed series will not fit into the designated holder. If this occurs, it will be placed in a mylar sleeve and put in an oversized holder. PSA does not grade autographed cards dated earlier than 1998 (must first be authenticated by PSA/DNA) or any cards manufactured by Star, except for Star Baseball & 1996 Star Topps (reprint) Basketball Cards.

Pins/Coins
    The thickness and diameter are key factors for the pins and coins in regards to encapsulation. For more information please call customer service at (800) 325-1121.
    BASEBALL
    1962 Salada-Junket coins
    1962 Shirriff coins
    1963 Salada-Junket All-Star coins
    1964 Topps coins
    1965 Old London coins
    1971 Topps coins
    1987 Topps coins
    1988 Topps coins
    1989 Topps coins
    1990 Topps coins
    1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins (P2)
    1932 Orbit Gum pins
    1956 Yellow Basepath pins (PM15)
    1961 Crane Team pins
    1965 Crane Team pins

HOCKEY

1960 Shirriff coins
    1961 Salada coins
    1961 Shirriff coins
    1962 Shirriff coins
    1968 Shirriff coins

NON-SPORT

1896 American Pepsin Jockey pins
    1956 Kellogg's Pep Cereal pins

TICKETS PSA CURRENTLY GRADES

MLB regular season, All-Star games, Playoffs and World Series
    NFL regular season, Super Bowl
    NBA regular season
    NFL regular season
    Indy 500
    Kentucky Derby
    Boxing events
    College Football Bowl games
    NCAA Finals
    We will grade entertainment tickets on a case by case basis. Please call customer service for inquiries.

We will not grade high school tickets, audit or gate stubs, fan tickets issued after the event, Phantom Tickets where event never took place, or Ticket Master issued sporting event tickets.

Occasionally, a ticket will not fit into the designated holder. If this occurs, it will be placed in a mylar sleeve and put in an oversized holder. For more information on holder sizes or tickets not listed above pls. call customer service at (800) 325-1121.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    -------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Scott;

You are locked and loaded! I think the organization of the new master set will be in good hands!
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    I had sent in for the 'Limited Edition Collectors' Sheet' for the '87 set.
    It has a few wrinkles, but it's one of my favorite, sentimental items.
    Fifteen players including Mattingly, Boggs, Ryan, Clemens, Schmidt and Ripken.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    DHJacks - you're right about the uncut sheets - I sent away for a few of them myself. I really dug those cards - I think they were issued in a cello wrapper inside Cookie Crisp cereal, which I eat an awful lot of in 1987. Cards in or on food boxes really fascinate me - more now than they did when I was a kid - I remember looking at the Post cards in '62, reading them while I ate my cereal, and thinking they were cheap wannabes compared to Topps. That might very well be true; I wish I'd saved some though.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Lots of fond memories...I just came across the backs of Kelloggs cereal boxes from '77, '78 and '79. Fun to 'go back in time'.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.