Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

pop 16 Ohio Silver PR70DCAM /I was asked to pull this item from eBay

going, going, gone

I receieved an email from someone asking me to pull this and sell it outright. I have never done such a thing, and wouldnt consider doing it now. The question I have is do sellers consider this an acceptable practice? What about the people who go thru following an item for a week to 10 days only at the last minute to see the item disappear?

Thoughts?

Thats right, turning my interest elsewhere. I know I whined for the longest time trying to aquire
a few top examples, but Im turning my interests to key issues, no rhyme or reason. Im also liquidateing
alot of high grade examples of Jeffersons and junk cluttering the apartment, as Im heading off to a condo soon
as I find a decent one here in my neck of the woods. Im not dumping all, so those of you who know what I am holding,
Im not parting with all my Jefferys, just the typical mish mash readily available.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    ttt for my question

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    If the price is right go for it. Dealers do it all the time.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I don't see any problem so long as there are no bids yet.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never ended an auction early. I believe that once bidding has begun, you owe it to the current bidders to complete the auction. Who knows - a couple of snipers may be waiting for the last instant to bid big bucks? What do you stand to gain by ending early? Did the person offer to buy the coin for double the market price? If so, then they should be more than happy to bid at that level in the auction.

I have had a few people ask me to end my auctions early and given me an offer. I have found that their offers were never higher than what the coin ultimately sold for. I also find that a couple of these people are really annoying. I finally had to stop replying to them after exchanging multiple emails.

Cameonut

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    I refused his offer, as I hate when people do it to me...Just was wondering if its common practice, it wont make me change my mind though.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill: I rarely, if ever, will pull an ebay item which has multiple bids on it, like your coin. IMHO, it is just bad business practice in the long run. Where there are no bids - that is a completely different story I believe, especially where the interest for the coin comes outside the ebay process.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bill: I rarely, if ever, will pull an ebay item which has multiple bids on it, like your coin. IMHO, it is just bad business practice in the long run. Where there are no bids - that is a completely different story I believe, especially where the interest for the coin comes outside the ebay process.

Wondercoin >>

Mitch, I absolutely agree.
    NO bids? I'll pull the auction- although even that is slightly risky as it is possible some potential bidders may have placed the coin on their 'watch list'. That is my personal 'line in the sand'. Now, if there is a bid or bids placed? No way. You may succeed with this one sale but you hurt your overall impression with other eBay'ers.
    Short term profit at the expense of long term relationships.

I've pulled- awhile back- an auction or two that had attracted bidders, prior with coming up with this personal game plan of mine, and regretted doing so. I received a friendly, but disapointed PM from a Member here stating his displeasure in me doing so. That was enough to make me regroup and rethink my older policy and change it, for the better.

peacockcoins

• Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    Bill, I had a person make an offer to trade a coin he had on auction with bids (including one from me) for a coin I had on auction with bids. I refused his offer mainly because both auctions had been going on for several days. I might have made the deal with him if the auctions had just barely started. As it turned out it would have been a $100 advantage to me image but my conscience would probably have bothered me if I had made the deal.

Charlieimage
  • Options
    I also believe it is against ebay policy to pull an auction once it has recieved bids unless there is something wrong with the description etc as posted. I havent posted on ebay in a while..but I agree with all here...if the auction has no bids pull i, but not neccessarily because someone whats the coin...that voids the entire auction process!...if he wants the coin...have him bid as well...my two cents
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto Wondercoin.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Oops, too fast on the trigger.

Agreed, only pull if no bids. I recently caught Michael Dixon (your buddy?) pull an auction with bids. After inquiring, it turns out the deal didn't happen, and in the end he may have hurt his (grand) reputation. I think he learned from it, and I quote him directly:

"It was always my policy not to end an auction
    early, even when asked by buyers. But, when the guy
    wanted all the halves I had, to include that one, and
    made an offer, I guess greed took over."

Not trying to 'dis Michael, he is a great guy, and I give him credit for even responding to my question regarding this particular auction.
  • Options
    well Im glad most here share my convictions...had there been no bids maybe id entertain his offer, but there was already 5+ bids...I simply told him I didnt want that done to me, so I wouldnt do so, and I hoped he understood, which he did image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    hey bill do what ever you want! if you sell it outright then thats ok.
    you listed it to sell it.

I also have never stopped an auction, but might consider it.

rob.
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Options
    hey Lazz

cool ta see you stomping around again image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    You have some really nice coins there, and there are some good deals to be had for the perceptive. . . .imageimage
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    manscomansco Posts: 229
    I believe it's only okay if you explicitly state in your ad that the coin is subject to prior sale.
  • Options
    Thanks BNE

I hope one day to own a coin like your icon there, But id venture to bet it would cost more than a down payment
    on a house.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill