Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Operation Iraqi Freedom 'pogs'

Just a random question here first.. have any of you guys spotted the Operation Iraqi Freedom 'pogs' for sale anywhere??

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the US military made cardboard coins in .05, .1 & .25 US denoms for the troops to use at the American exchanges in Iraq/AF. This was because shipping metal is more burdensome than lightweight paper. Folks call em pogs.)

I've wanted to collect them. There are 39 varieties (I think) in total. But all the guys I know who are down there or have come back.. well they were kinda busy fighting a war or something image that, and from what I hear folks didn't really like them, a lot got thrown away.

Anyway, the AAFES branches are now advertising them by posting signs saying they accept them here in Germany, and are selling display folders for them (tho they look kinda cheesy and I think they'd actually screw up the pogs). I just noticed these signs last month at the PX in Vicenza.. a lot of guys were just coming back from there so apparently a few were being turned in. So I ask the cashier if I can buy a few back... nope, not allowed to. They are taking the pogs in and immediately putting them in the safe! What?! After begging for a while the cashier agrees to check for me when the manager next opens the safe so I had to mill around the PX for a while but I eventually got three at face value.

Oh well. I just thought that was kinda odd. If the PX is clamping down like that (I can't imagine why) what's the civilian market like? I still haven't noticed any on eBay? The PX here in Stuttgart says they don't have any.

Back to promising favors, I guess. Unless I can weasel a few out of AAFES HQ.. haven't tried that yet imageimage

I'll scan the few that I have in the coming days in case any one is interested in seeing some image

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Okay.. I'm slacking off right now anyway so here's a pic of what I've got so far:

[ edit: goto http://www.numispedia.org/aafes instead, more pics image ]

The reverse is boring.. just "Gift Certificate" and the denom.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd never heard of them. Interesting!

Why're they called "pogs"?

From what little I know of the military, something tells me it's some acronym for Piece Of (G-something) S***... image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Page one of two image

• Options
    I have about 40 different, and I was not even close to getting all of them.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, Ray- maybe you can tell us why they're called "pogs"?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure how the game went but back in about 1990-91 there was a game called Pogs. They were carboard disks that each player would put into a pile. Lets say there were two players and each put in 10 each. There is a pile of cardboard circles in the middle. Then one player would take a "Slammer" usually made of metal and about the same size of the cardboard disks and SLAM it ontop of the pile. I believe if you succesfully bounced a cardboard "Pog" off the pile and singled it out (Not touching another POG) then you weould get to keep the pog. There would also be an Ante involved so the "GOOD" POGS would not get dammaged by the Slammer.

Now, why they are called POGS? I'm not sure that is what AAFES calls them, I believe that is a nickname that the soldiers gave to them because they look just like the old POGS.

Hope that helps,
    Ray
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of "Bad Boy" brass pog slammers from when my kids used to play with them. Not sure where the pogs went, though. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Pogs were all the craze when I was in grades 1-2. I still have some unopened packages of pogs with NHL (hockey) players on them.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Neat!! I'd heard of them, but haven't seen any before.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    i threw all mine away when I left. image

wish I kept them now

hmmm....maybe I'll search my mobility bag and see if there are any left overs I missed. image
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    The pog disk idea originated from the cardboard lids that sealed milk bottles when milk came in glass bottles (those of us old sods that remember milk in glass bottles) and had a pull-tab on them. At one time people used to have collections of the cardboard milk lids. Different dairies had some really neat looking lids and later the pogs game came along.image
  • Options
    Wow! That's some collection, Ray image

I'd never seen most of those. Looks like some are dated too? and some with OEF/OIF written on them? Hmm.. maybe I should harass AAFES for some background info and write an article image Wait, wasn't there an article about these in one of the US coin mags? Can anyone recall/confirm this?

Re 'pogs': Yep, the other guys covered it well. I'm not sure if there is any official name for these, but a bunch who use them call them pogs, after the kids game of the mid-90s, which was spun out of the old milk caps image
  • Options
    A quick check on Ebay, I noticed at least three auctions with these pogs image

All around 20 dollars.

Ray
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I know Ken Hallenbeck out in Colorodo Springs has been handling a lot of them but I haven't gotten any of them yet.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Very interesting - reminds me of when I was in Vietnam, we used paper "script" or as they are technically called "Military Payment Certificates" These pogs are the same idea. I still have some of the ones from Vietnam.
    Mrpaseo's collection is awesome also.
    Shep
  • Options
    Woohoo!! I got a baggie full of pogs straight out of IZ today! imageimageimage

Now I have about 25-30 different types and quite a few extras. I'm still shuffling thru them but hope to image most and post a giveaway in the coming days image
  • Options
    spoon, we just shipped the 2004 edition last week. should be showing up downrange soon.
    that makes 4 series. 1st series has 3 designs (one for each 5, 10 and 25)and the next 3 have 36 each (12 for each 5, 10 and 25). You'll see some vintage WWII photos mixed in on the next addition.
    The best way to get them is to deply down rangeimage

Happy collecting!
    the maker

+there is a bootleg site called aafespogs.com for more details
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Interesting! But I wonder, isn't this a bit "Lightsided"??

Welcome, POGman!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome, Pogman!! image

No, Jester ... remember, "Liteside" is US collectors solely of US coins. Currency, medals, tokens, pogs, etc. all remain in the Dark to them ... aside from our modest attempts at educating 'em as to what they're missing. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Of course you're right, Sorceror! Leave it to us to keep the flame alive for that tiny dominion of the Darkside called the USA.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Hi Pogman! Thanks for the info and welcome to the boards image

What more do you know of these? Could you please turn on your Private Message (PM) function, it's found under "profile". I'd like to ask you a few questions if I may.

And for everyone, I'm going to try to post a giveaway announcement this weekend. I have over a dozen extras from the first series. And Jester, you can't enter.. image (jk)

I also have half a page up about these now, still looking for more info. The pics section isn't as complete as aafespogs.com, just what I have myself so far, but I'll get there eventually image
    http://www.numispedia.org/aafes
  • Options
    ...little did I know, that I had entered into the dark side.

the (Pog)maker
  • Options
    spoon, I'm now PM. A have the answers.
  • Options
    Very interesting, Spoon and Pogman!image I like these items, especially a few shippogs!image

Eric, your 25 cents Sailing Ship Pog is really great! image
    N. N.
  • Options
    POGMAN is pogmaker??? image With state of the art printing presses, no doubt....image

Spoon, I don't want none of your stinkin' pogs nohow.....imageimage

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    you might like the WW II carrier photo with hellcat circling, also the first submariner plus more. now would a "token" pogmaker know this. have faith

• Options
    PM sent to Pogman image
  • Options

<< <i>Now, why they are called POGS? >>

Because.image

<< <i>when I was in Vietnam, we used paper "script" or as they are technically called "Military Payment Certificates" >>

MPC were issued by the Military in denominations up to $10 or $20 (senior moment - the Korean "Police Action" was a long time ago when I was young) to troops stationed outside the United States for all purposes, and these new POGS are issued by the Exchanges for use there only. We had to exchange MPC for yen (or won) in order to have money spendable in the local stores, although many merchants/hotel keepers/personal service persons illegally accepted MPC, which became worthless when there was a currency exchange for new-style MPC every year or two.image

<< <i>Interesting! But I wonder, isn't this a bit "Lightsided"?? >>

Absolutely not! POGS are a form of money outside the U.S., which clearly makes them darkside.
    Roy

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Roy -An interesting lesson on the origin of POGs - thanks.
    Shep
  • Options
    Hmm.. I guess I oughta post the link for that giveaway over here also.

AAFES pogs -- giveaway!