Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

POLL: Do you prefer large scans or small scans on the Registry?

Any additional comments are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    The file size doesn't really bother me. It is the "full screen" scans that annoy me. A quarter of half screen is good enough.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    Dude,

Didn't you get the memo? Size matters.

TG
  • Options
    Just make sure that they are large enough to see the card, but will fit on the screen for viewing. Small files also make it nice for us poor dial-up users.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    --------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    HOW DO YOU KEEP IT SMALL? WHEN I SCAN THE CARD, IT LOADS AS A GOOD 4X6 SIZE, BUT WHEN I PUT IT ON THE REGISTRY, IT COVERS THE WHOLE SCREEN AND THEN SOME? RON
    TWINRON
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I wish there was a slide show function with a few intervale selections (3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, pause, etc)
    I don't think it's that hard to implement.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>HOW DO YOU KEEP IT SMALL? WHEN I SCAN THE CARD, IT LOADS AS A GOOD 4X6 SIZE, BUT WHEN I PUT IT ON THE REGISTRY, IT COVERS THE WHOLE SCREEN AND THEN SOME? RON >>

I agree Ron. This is a real pain and the main reason I haven't scanned more of my cards. I think this is an area PSA should concentrate on. I like Dave's suggestion of implementing a slide show feature. When the image is larger than the viewing window, you have to maximum the image window and then scroll down to see the entire card. I've been unsuccessful in getting good scans when shrinking to smaller image sizes. It would be nice if the registry tool would format the image automatically for easy viewing and indexing.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    smaller scans about the size of the card or maybe a little bigger with high quality pic.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I do like the idea of a slide show function.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I like the quarter screen size. Just makes it easier to click through the set and not have to jack around resizing the screens and all that crap. My file sizes end up around 15K.

Keep photos smaller problem: The scanner software you have should allow resizing of the photos. I keep mine 350 pixels high by 200 (and something). It keeps the scan proportional to the original size, so I standardize at 350 pixels high and let the software figure the rest.

By the way, AWESOME IDEA ON THE SLIDESHOW !!!! Hopefully this will be a feature added soon...image

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    remember that depending on how many pixels you allow on your monitor, the size of the image and window will vary. what is quarter screen to you is probably full screen on my rig.

It is annoying to constanly have to resize the windows to get down to the navigation buttons.
    I wish i were nerd enough to figure out a fix that would force the window to stay within the screen size, but then what would we complain about around here?

......waiting 2 months for rediculously harsh vintage grades?
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I'm just happy to get a scan up period.
  • Options

<< <i>HOW DO YOU KEEP IT SMALL? WHEN I SCAN THE CARD, IT LOADS AS A GOOD 4X6 SIZE, BUT WHEN I PUT IT ON THE REGISTRY, IT COVERS THE WHOLE SCREEN AND THEN SOME? RON >>

Caps Lock....learn it, love it
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I gotta go with small size - I'm assuming that small equals original as opposed to the whole screen (large) sized photos I've seen.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I strive for balance with a preference for keeping things small so that modem users don't have to try and figure out how many packs they can open while they wait for the picture to load. Like others who've commented on it I'm also not a fan of the scrollbars on windows for larger pics.

I've settled on a method much like Ken's-I target a 240 pixel width and end up with heights in the 400-410 range and filesizes ~35K. On my little monitor at 1024x768 resolution they don't look so big that you can scrutinize every detail, but you can get a good feel for the focus, centering, etc. I'd be curious to know how they look on other platforms.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • Options
    I have brought this thread back to the top to share something which I have just recently learned. When viewing the scans of cards in a registry, if I press the "F11" button, the screen height enlarges and I am able to select "next image" without having to scroll down (usually). When I am finished, I press "F11" again and the screen returns to normal. I'm sure that many of you knew this already but I know that there are others here that are as technically challenged as I am and I hope this helps a bit.
  • Options
    Didn't know that.....thanks for the tip. Makes it much easier viewing the full screen cards!

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    ZodiacMindwarp,

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought I knew alot about computers, but I never appreciated the benefits of the F11 key.

Dude,

Interesting poll. I am frustrustrated on how the true sharpness of cards can not be realized from a scan, but this has been tempered by the understanding that there must be memory limits. In the end, I believe that the 100K limit is reasonable aside from the size that is actually visible. In any event, my vote is for the large image which I entered in the poll you created.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I'm somewhat in the middle, my own scans are 50-60 kb to maintain a certain level of detail for cards I'm going to be selling so my default is that size. But......I don't like having to scroll on the large scans either so perhaps zodiac's tip will alleviate that problem. The idea of a slideshow option is great too.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?