Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

More Retail Heritage Quirkiness!

I have bought so much of this stuff at my local target that I think their stock has just gone up! LOL

Well last night I saw that they got in a new shipment so I was ready when they put it out
this morning. Beating the pack feelers is key. Sure enough a new shipment of heritage...2
24 count boxes. I like to buy a few packs at a time and stop buying them when I get a big
hit..well. 10 or so packs into the first box I pull:

Myers Jersey and
Thome black refractor

Ive never pulled two big hits in one box...the second was even better...took me only 6 packs to pull:

Pujols Jersey
and

Steve Kraly Red Auto /55!!

My first red auto. I believe that topps held back some good cards and now they have a bunch left and
are putting them into the late releases...now I know a bunch of you bought the retail 12 pack boxes, and
I now believe that they odds of pulling any auto from those boxes were close to 1 in a millon, I really
do think that now is the best time to pull an auto from these "late" boxes. Im going to go back and
check the jersey/black ref box and maybe see if there is an auto in that box. yes I am crazy!

Well, just be on the lookout, if you see any new 24 count boxes maybe take a stab, I would forget
about the 12 count boxes unless you need a bunch of short prints, and heck even if you need a bunch
of short prints, if you pull an auto I can hook you up, the cheapest auto is 50 bucks I think.

Thanks
Kevin

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    damnit i thought i was done opening Heritage!! now you got me wanting to check Wal-Mart again..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>damnit i thought i was done opening Heritage!! now you got me wanting to check Wal-Mart again.. >>

funny,
    this just makes me mad and
    makes me want to not collect anything
    new, since they are playing us
    just to get all our money.

that sucks.
    imageimage
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    yeah, they did the same thing in 2001 with the toys r us packs, I must have bought at least
    100 packs..no auto..but they were loaded with low number short prints and in the long
    run they at 6 per pack would be worth more than the occasional autograph. I have thought
    of writing topps, but what can you do about it? You can't buy a 300 pack box and prove them
    wrong! LOL

JS
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    This type of discussion is why I don't collect modern. Besides the huge number of sets, there is this lottery mentality where you try and make a good pull and the rest of the set is garbage.

I really wish that the major card companies would go back to the way it was in the 80s.

joestalin- I have enjoyed reading your posts about Heritage. Glad you are enjoying it.
  • Options

<< <i>This type of discussion is why I don't collect modern. Besides the huge number of sets, there is this lottery mentality where you try and make a good pull and the rest of the set is garbage.

I really wish that the major card companies would go back to the way it was in the 80s.

joestalin- I have enjoyed reading your posts about Heritage. Glad you are enjoying it. >>

yeah, there is the lottery aspect of it.. we all love finding a high $ card, but i disagree that the rest of the set is garbage.. I ebayed most of my inserts and kept very few of them, but I put together the base set and kept it for myself.. I'll probably have it for several years.. the fact that I'm keeping the base set tells me that its worth more to me than the inserts I sold (even though the inserts brought me some cash)..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve Kraly Red Auto /55!!
    My first red auto. I believe that topps held back some good cards and now they have a bunch left and
    are putting them into the late releases >>

Kevin
    Looks like you and Jeter have something in common: the Slump is over! Nice pull, better than my blue Floyd! I did pull a Vazquez blue outa CJ though. But, I'm due for something more interesting.
    I talked with the Excel rep who handles all the Target stores and he told me that he has NO control over the ordering - it is 'supply/demand' ordering specific to each store. Also, if the shelves looked more bare recently, Target demanded they take 2000$ inventory from each store due to slower overall sales. He said that there is more Heritage left to distribute (that is his quote, not sure how accurate). Thus, if your theory is correct and someone has 70$ to throw away - if you see what looks to be a full, untouched/searched box - pick it up. He told me they are shipped to Target and their employees put it up on the shelf - they are Required to Open the box since the closed box could be sold accidentally as One pack by bar code. Probably more than anyone wants to hear on this but I report it as I hear it.
    Thanx, again - Heritage is a great set for fun once every year.

And, I know it is tempting to discredit modern for the "lottery" mentality but on the other side of the house: what do you call sending in a 55T #123 hoping that you get a 9? Just requesting a little balance.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I thought I was done, but I've been checking Targets the last week for more boxes. Even though I opened I think 11 retail boxes, and I'm just a dozen or so cards short of a set (plz check 3rd page of Official Heritage Trade Thread) I still have yet to pull an auto or a black refractor, and I really want to. Just because you open 251 packs by no means guarantees pulling a 1:251 card. Throwing good money after bad? Probably. The thrill of the hunt? Definitely. This isn't to say that the rest of the set is garbage. Quite the opposite, it's probably the best all-around set of the year so far. But the overall quality, and low price, is what makes the chase so sweet. Sure, there'll be 50 other sets this year that will sink without a trace. That's what the market has become. But within the chaff there's some wheat. Heritage is wheat.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I think mrc is on the wrong thread. What he said couldn't be further from the truth, heritage is the
    anti-modern issue, much of the value are in the "base" cards. So you buy a box of heritage for
    72 retail...you get 12 cards that will book at least 5 bucks, you also get 4 chromes that book at
    least 3.50 and in most cases 5-10 bucks. You have a decent chance at a GU minimum 8 bucks. Thats
    more than the 72 dollar price tag in every box!

Ill agree that that isn't the norm in modern issues, but why bring it up if you don't collect modern?
    How are the companies going to turn others into collecting if those people never get over their
    sterotypes? Why post if you know nothing about the product? I came here several months ago
    and started posting about heritage, along the way that knowledge spured quite a few people
    here buying. They didn't buy a case right off the bat but maybe started with a retail box or a
    few packs and liked something about it. The look, the price, the value...for me the chase of the
    set and the nice surprise of an autograph

The important thing is that we all knew the facts before we opened the packs. That info can't be
    published in some mag, we are real collectors opening real packs, if the product sucks we say
    so, if the cards are damaged we say so. I wouldn't trade this info for anything. There is some
    good in modern issues, and without that the vintage market can't survive.

Kevin
    Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>How are the companies going to turn others into collecting if those people never get over their >>

<< <i>There is some
    good in modern issues, and without that the vintage market can't survive. >>

Kevin
    Right on the money - there is a perfect symbiotic relationship between modern and vintage hobby markets. Each one needing the other to survive.
    Very well put.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    One thing I'll make note of... I purchased 6 hobby boxes at $74/box when heritage first came out. i didn't pull a single GU or auto. I sold another 3 boxes either as packs or full boxes, none of them said they got an auto or gu. I opened a full box of retail, no GU or auto. I then proceeded to purchase 3 booster boxes and got 1 auto and 1 gu. Corky Valentine Auto and Torii Hunter GU, not to mention at least 1 short print per pack. I finished my set very quickly and sold it for $425 besides. I still buy booster boxes when they come out. I've bought about 11 or so of those boxes and I have over 100 sp's still, a box full of commons, 3 autos and 5 game used not to mention 2 retail boxes full of Gum!

I was not turned on by Heritage at all when I first saw it. I only picked it up cuz people were asking for it at the shows I was at. Then I started opening a few packs to get some short prints to put out. Next thing ya know... 6 hobby boxes intended for sale were ripped and on the table as singles. image

I had a blast with this product, and I will buy it again next year.
  • Options
    KLS23KLS23 Posts: 1,581
    Kevin,

Found an untouched retail box of Heritage at the local Target tonight. Pulled 4 chromes (Ichiro and Prior were 2 of them), 1 chrome refractor (Adam Dunn), only about 10 SPs.....and.....a Duane Pilette Red Ink Auto #37/55. Nice card of an old St. Louis Browns/Orioles pitcher from the late 40's. Pretty fun rip and not a bad box at all.

There was one more retail box left at Target...hmmm...wonder what the odds are of pulling another auto?

Ken
  • Options
    nice pull on the red. I was visiting my dad this weekend, and we were buying a few packs out of some
    retail boxes, nothing yet but I will let you know if he pulls anything. Could it be that these boxes were
    actually early runs perhaps saved for kmart but then allocated to target? Stone has some good
    insight into this. Is the red auto for trade?

Kevin
  • Options
    KLS23KLS23 Posts: 1,581
    Kevin,

Not sure what's going on with these boxes lately....I was surprised to not get very many SPs. The red ink auto made up for it though and my chromes were decent players....so overall I was happy.

I would consider trading the Heritage auto - drop me a PM and let me know if you have an autograph tradelist. Thanks.

Ken
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I found my local Target with a new supply tonight, so I bought 2 boxes. Now having busted 5 of these retail boxes, I still haven't found one auto. But, the boxes tonight had 3 chrome cards in each box (2 refractors / 4 regular) and a lot of SP's.
  • Options
    my wife bought me a retail 11pk box today - I guess she felt sorry for me?
    Well the box wasn't a $ hit but definitely had a nice variety:
    11 sp's
    F5 NAP15
    3 chromes Navarro, Jung, Piazza
    GU bat Irod
    Legends auto Johnson
    Well guys for a sunday - and where the heck are the Sopranos! Week off before the finale - I say his family with his two snotty children are gunned down while driving in their mercedes. And Johnny "Sack" Sacramoni is left to ponder why "I want a fat babe".(press go, play video save time) - this wasn't so bad! Hope everyone is having a safe holiday weekend!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, you find the craziest links - image

Also, who's getting gunned down next week? Not Tony's family...no way, more likely he goes to war with Johnny Sac and the feud spills over into next season in 2006 image I thought it might be a two hour finale, but no. According to the website, it is just a regular 57 minute episode.
  • Options
    CT
    I was under the impression that this was going to be the last season and I was thinking dramatic justice to the haunted and depraved Tony and the "wages of sin" stuff - ya know like in the Godfather III - he lost a daughter - tony loses his family?
    I know - that's out there - just tryin to think of an ending in which there is payback. Who knows? Did you get that stuff about Johnny - remember his wife is a little large?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    man I need to get those dvd's!

Kevin
  • Options
    Mike -

I could definitely see that happening. But, there is one more season to go after this one. David Chase agreed to do it before this season started production, but he said it would only be 10 episodes (normally 13) and it wouldn't air until 2006. After that, there is talk of a movie (but just talk at this point). I will be sad to see it end, it has been some of the best television of recent years.
  • Options

<< <i>I will be sad to see it end, it has been some of the best television of recent years. >>

I agree. I wonder how popular pics and autos are? I wouldn't mind having a full photo w/all the sigs if I knew it was real.
    Anybaaady bought any Soprano stuff?

<< <i>man I need to get those dvd's >>

Kevin
    What dvd's?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I bet he means the full season DVD sets of the first four seasons. Must haves!

Also, did you see the James Gandolfini auto card in one of the recent baseball releases?
  • Options

<< <i>Also, did you see the James Gandolfini auto card in one of the recent baseball releases? >>

Heard about it - which product is it in? Can't remember.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    2004 Donruss Elite, if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    yeah some guy on the beckett board pulled one.

I dont have HBO so the dvd's are as close to seeing them as I will get, but they are expensive!

oh well

JS
  • Options

<< <i>but they are expensive >>

Kevin
    You can rent them at Blockbuster and record them if you wanted. So, what did you think of what was in one box of heritage?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Bighurt4Bighurt4 Posts: 384
    MMMMMM...Heritage Talk.

Hi Mike,
    I am still working on the Heritage Master although it seems a little easier to get CJ's right now(wonder why, lol). Anyway, I hope all is well and if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i> left to ponder why "I want a fat babe".image >>

SAME Song... But about EBAY!
    Weird Al did it a few years ago...
    it is funny as hell, but dead on, perfect
    in capturing the Ebay experience...

here are the Lyrics:
    eBay
    Yeah
    A used ... pink bathrobe
    A rare ... mint snowglobe
    A Smurf ... TV tray
    I bought on eBay

My house ... is filled with this crap
    Shows up in bubble wrap
    Most every day
    What I bought on eBay

Tell me why (I need another pet rock)
    Tell me why (I got that Alf alarm clock)
    Tell me why (I bid on Shatner's old toupee)
    They had it on eBay

I'll buy ... your knick-knack
    Just check ... my feedback
    "A++!" they all say
    They love me on eBay

Gonna buy (a slightly-damaged golf bag)
    Gonna buy (some Beanie Babies, new with tag)
    (From some guy) I've never met in Norway
    Found him on eBay

I am the type who is liable to snipe you
    With two seconds left to go, whoa
    Got Paypal or Visa, what erev'll please
    As long as I've got the dough

I'll buy ... your tchotchkes
    Sell me ... your watch, please
    I'll buy (I'll buy, I'll buy, I'll buy ...)
    I'm highest bidder now

(Junk keeps arriving in the mail)
    (From that worldwide garage sale) (Dukes Of Hazard ashtray)
    (Hey! A Dukes Of Hazard ashtray)
    Oh yeah ... (I bought it on eBay)

Wanna buy (a PacMan Fever lunchbox)
    Wanna buy (a case on vintage tube socks)
    Wanna buy (a Kleenex used by Dr. Dre, Dr. Dre)
    (Found it on eBay)

Wanna buy (that Farrah Fawcet poster)
    (Pez dispensers and a toaster)
    (Don't know why ... the kind of stuff you'd throw away)
    (I'll buy on eBay)

What I bought on eBay-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>yeah some guy on the beckett board pulled one.

I dont have HBO so the dvd's are as close to seeing them as I will get, but they are expensive!

oh well

JS >>

Kevin,
    I have the 1st season on DVD.. I can burn copies.. *hint Hint* what ya willin to trade? =)
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>here are the Lyrics: >>

BKAH
    Great song! I would love the video! Thanx for the link - I've got a few people mesmerized with "all your base, are belong to us" - if you get it in your head - you're dead! Now I'll be humming:

"They had it on Ebay,
    they had it on Ebay.image
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Anyone that wants this song, needs to read my new Sig line...

imageimage