Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Mastro hockey sheets = future BGS 9.5's ?

Did anyone else hear that the winner of the uncut hockey sheets
in the mastronet auction is Mr. BGS 9.5 himself.

I hear he is on his way to Chicago to pick them up personally.

These sheets sold for close to 40K. Based on what I heard,
there is a lot of damage to them. I know that he sells uncut
sheets to customers, so I'm not yet convinced that these are
going to get cut up. However, it will be interesting to see if
we ever see some of these on ebay. The guy who won them
is a dealer, so we'll see what happens. I heard that he won
75k worth of stuff, so hopefully he won some wax that will be
for sale too.

marc

Comments

• Options
    At least if Jason Martin won them they will most likely be ending up in BGS holders instead of PSA holders
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I have no clue who might have won those or what his intent is, but when I first saw those sheets in the Mastro auction, I couldn't help but think, "Man, look at all those future BVG/BGS 9.5's."
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I would hope they sell them as un-cut sheets. Would love to have a couple framed.
    I collect Vintage Hockey cards in PSA 8 or better.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Marc - Which Mr. Bgs 9.5?

My initial thought was like Steve's that they would be going into BGS/BVG holders.

Marc - Did you get the Quaker? and are you going to the Canadian Expo this weekend?
  • Options
    Depending on how they were stored all these years, I bet they are covered in spider creases and the like from being folded and handled.....let alone some of those corners that were completely ripped. Like the packs, they are probably better displayed, uncut (unopened) and framed.

Dan
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Aro,

Got the quaker. Funny thing is that I sent it to another Ontario buddy to get it reholdered.
    So it is in transit right now. Please keep your eye out for any more at the show. I will
    be at Fort Washington this weekend. The past few Expo's in Ontario have been less exciting
    than in past years. I guess there is a four letter word that could explain that.

Howitallbegan got it right on the Mr. BGS 9.5

Teemu,

This dealer sold a 1969-70 opc low series uncut sheet for 2.5k two years ago.
    So you may be looking at that price again, unless he raised his asking price.
    He's got six of them now, so you're chances are good. I believe he's got
    6 of the 1970-71 high series as well.

Tripoli,
    I agree. Those sheets will have damage on them for sure.
    I won't believe that he'll be cutting them. I heard the condition is rough.
    Maybe he's hoping for a BVG 9.5 Bobby Orr rookie.
    However, I know virtually every Bobby Orr rookie collector
    (Even had Patrick Roy look at one in Massachusettes believe it or not,
    He wanted to trade a game used mask for it).
    Anyway, I doubt that they would even think twice for anything outside
    of PSA or SGC. However, I've been wrong before and will be again.

Guys, good luck at the Ontario show this weekend. You should see
    that guy and confirm whether this information is true or false.
    Please report back to these boards early on Monday.

By that team your Leafs should be in much better shape.image
    marc
  • Options
    Who is Mr BGS 9.5 and should I stay away from him? Same question for Jason Martin?
    Looking for Red Sox HOF items
  • Options
    Jason Martin= Martin-Sports on ebay. notorious for selling BGS sheet cut OPC cards
  • Options
    Marc - Was at the Expo yesterday, and heard some interesting "stories". Are you positive Martin won the uncut sheet lot?
  • Options
    Just came back from the expo. Word was that Martin did not win the uncut sheet lot. Harvey said he was a bidder on them but did not win them. He did however win the 57-58 Topps packs and is taking preorders on sales

I really didnt have much time to spend at the show but i did buy more raw today than i have at the Toronto show since May of 2001 including PSA 8 quality 69-70 low series for half book. I went through some 71-72's including a 3200 count box of which i pulled out 4 cards that would 8 and none that i needed. I did find one 71-72 that i needed that i expect to 9

The only intersesting conversation i found amusing was a dealer telling Jason Chartrand how he could make money if he bought his complete set selling it card by card. Im thinking he will take 15 cards from that 264 card set grade them and have his money back he doesnt need any advice

If i watch one more dealer take a card out of a toploader then bang it back down on the showcase to put it back in the holder. Im going to scream. Its gotten to the point i dont even ask to look through cards dealers have in there top loaders because they toasted all the corners by not keeping them in card savers,screwdowns or sheets.

Randy
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Thanks guys for the news.

My source in Ontario must have been misled.
    He networks with a couple of store owners and
    dealers in the area and usually gives me sound advice.

It would have been nice to have a dealer win the sheets.
    It really does have good break up value for a dealer.

I'm glad Harvey won some packs. That will give some
    collectors a chance at owning some. I bid six on
    the 1954 single pack and didn't come close. I'm not into
    the 57's.

Good job Randy on the low series 69's.
    I see that some went over 100.00 on ebay
    recently. That has been the going rate
    for the past year or two. The only reason
    is that guys with money are willing to pay
    a big price for the cards.

marc
  • Options
    Martin told me he did not win the lot. There were very few high grade 50's and 60's cards at the show but if you were looking for early 70's cards there were a ton in high grade and usually for low prices. I upgraded my 71-72 OPC set and found some nice 72-73's as well.
    I also talked to Steve Pottie and he told me some interesting stuff about the Mastronet hockey lots.
    Marc - turn on your PM's as I also found a dealer who had a stack of Quakers.