Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Need help with project!!

I am looking for old Whitesox baseball cards in terrible shape. These will be destroyed because in my new home I wan't to build a bar in the basement with the bar top covered in all years Whitesox cards. I know some of you will want to kill me for this but if you have some vintage worthless Whitesox cards you want to get rid of cheap. Please let me know.

I think a bar like this would me classic, all years of cards mixed up and coated with apoxy resin.

What do you think?

Good for sports bar? Or Bad for sports cards?

Thanks,

Glen

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I dunno... you sound like a salesman for PRO grading out to snag a few more PRO 10s for nothing... LOL!

Sounds like a nice idea... I have seen that in a sports bar in Boston and always thought it'd be a cool thing to do... but no Cubbies?

Unfortunately, I can't help you with some free additions. But good luck!
  • Options
    Absolutely NO CUBS CARDS!!!!! Anyone from Chicago knows about the North and South side rivalry. I am a life long south sider and I want this to be a cool sports bar so no Cubs cards PLEASE.

Just kidding Cubs fans!

Yeh, I thought it would be a nice touch. Sox pub table and chairs, old Comisky Park stuff, my 1954 Topps Whitesox psa cards displayed, my 2002 MLB Stadium Giveaway boblehead collection with ticket stubs (All teams).

I think it would be cool.

PS

King Kellogg - Wish I took your advice more seriously in Chicago. I started way to many house projects all at once now I am working my butt off trying to finish all of them before i move in.

Man, I am one stupid kid.

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    Glen

I'll take a look tonight- are you looking for team cards or players- or both?

Ryan
    Collector of T cards and other pre war
  • Options
    Ryan,

Anything and everything, Any year, any condition. Something that you do not want. I would appreciate any help with this. If you have a handfull of cards with paper loss, I'll take them.

Thanks again Ryan for looking,

Glen
  • Options
    As a lifelong Cubs fan, I use all my White Sox cards as toilet paper. I have a few soiled ones sitting in the garbage can right now, just let me know where to send them. image

Seriously though just email me your address and I will send you some, my email address is below.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    ------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Anything to help out a fellow South Sider! PM me your address and I'll send you a couple from a lot I won a few months back.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got some 80's commons your welome to for free. cb3302fan@aol.com
  • Options
    I think my company email is down so I am having trouble emailing everyone.

Perkdog,

That would be great. I appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

I will post my adress here, for those of you that are kind enough to help,

Glen Surwillo
    115 Kishwaukee Lane
    DeKalb, Il 60115

Like I said they can be terrible, I don't care about condition or players as long as they are Whitsox.

Thanks to everyone so far, this bar once created will be the highlight of my basement. King, I will take care of the started projects first. Promise!

It will not be as big as I hoped but when my wife and I wrote down two things each that we wanted in a house,

She wanted Hard wood floors and a old growth tree lot.

I wanted a big kitchen and a big basement.

She got both, I got none. GO FIGURE!!!!!

Thanks to all so far.

Glen
  • Options
    WHAT NO BEARS CARDS image GL ON THE HUNT
  • Options
    Hell, I'll take em. Any Chicago team but the Cubs. I do have some nice Bears stuff that will be displayed.

I have the whole 1989 team signed white signiture NFL Football and bears football bobbleheads.

I do have three Cubs things that can be displayed though.

Harry Carry bobblehead (He was the announcer for the Sox you know)

And Rookie Black and White 8" by 11" pictures signed by Maddux and Palmerio signed in 1987 or 1988 when they were Rookies at a local mall.

So if you have some beat up Bears, Blackhawks, bulls, and Whitesox cards you don't mind getting rid of I'll take em.

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think I have a few extra Sox cards from the 70z with the softball uniform look I can send your way.........
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>As a lifelong Cubs fan, I use all my White Sox cards as toilet paper. >>

I would think that this might be the only time when a sharp corner would not be valuable. image

Scott
  • Options
    Scott,

It was a little painful at first until I perfected the process. Now I take a roll of Charmin and glue the White Sox cards to the middle of every sheet. That softens the wipe and puts the "stuff" right on the front of the card. image

Keith,

Unless you live in the Chicago area you will never understand the depth of the loathing that occurs between Cubs and Sox fans. You have to be one or the other, you can't be both, and the ones that say they are for both teams aren't real fans of either team. This rivalry splits families apart, its kind of like a mini Civil War. One of my cousins is a Sox fan and doesn't get invited to family parties because of it. The Red Sox / Yankees thing doesn't even come close to the Cubs / Sox animosity. image

Luckily though as a collector, I can help Glen out, without the Cubs-Sox thing getting in the way. image

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    -------------------------------------------
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    ChicagoGlen...

(I told you so.....hee...hee....)

Now.....about those White Sox cards......
    I would love to send you a pile of cards, and of course....No Charge........

.............HOWEVER.........

.....can I get a few free beers at the new White Sox Bar..?????

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Here's a few I pulled from the archives in lower grade condition.

Earl Torgeson, Al Smith, Jim Rivera, Billy Pierce, Gary Peters, Sammy Esposito

Sherm Lollar

John Callison rc

Joe Cunningham

Camilo Carreon, Ray Herbert, Gary Peters, Gene Stephens

White Sox Team, Juan Pizarro, Bob Locker, Ron Hansen, Luis Aparicio, Buddy Bradford, Don Pavletich.

PM me your address and I'll send 'em off to you. Just be sure to complete the project and shoot us a pic.

Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    Larry,

You know I will by you all the beers you want!!!!!!

I know you have a beat up disk to donate.

I am showing all the guys here in the neighborhood the boards for the first time, they love how everyone pitches in and ribbs you over the cubs. You all have been great!!!!!

sjeanblanc is excactly right.

My buddy grew up on the Southside down the street from me. His dad found out that he was a Cubs fan and said, "I'd rather have a son that is a "$%&" than a Cubs fan! Insert fowl word there.

Thanks to all and once I get moved in the bar is being built!! Of coarse I will post pictures.

If anyone needs anything from me, if I can help I will.

Thanks,

glen
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    I will be happy to send some 1977 Cloth Stickers of Ralph Garr and Richie Zisk.

I am sure there are plenty of others I can find, and since I am all in favor of things involved with drinking, they will be sent by Monday at the latest. Any thought to using lower grade slabbed Sox as your coasters. That is what I use in my gameroom.

I just acquired the Zisk in PSA 10, so I am in a giving mood.

Regards,
    Luke

Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    Luke,

Already in play are the coasters, I have some PSA 7-8 1954 white sox cards slabbed in PSA 5 holders because of 1/16 to 1/18th surface creases. GREAT IDEA!!!!!

I can't wait to get in the house and start this project. With all of this help, all I'm going to need is some 1/4 in oak plywood, some trim, 2 by 4's and some imagination and I'm set.
    Thanks again all,

Glen

Hey Joe O!!! Ready to have an article about the support of the message boards to show how great these people are on here????

I think you are!

I love you all!!! (Yes, I've been drinking)

Glen

• Options
    First, there's ... "As a lifelong Cubs fan, I use all my White Sox cards as toilet paper."

Then there's ... "I would love to send you a pile of cards."

What could possibly be added to that?

Scott
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭

Whlie I do follow both the Cubs and the White Sox, I am primarily a Sox fan.

Though I must say the Cubs are probably my third most favorite baseball team of all. The Sox are my favorite, whomever plays the Cubs are my second most favorite.

In regards to a prior post about using sox cards as a supplement to toilet paper, it is no surprise, considering that many in the Cub neighborhood fan base are quite familar with unusual objects being used in the area that most people would insert toilet paper.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    ChicagoGlen...

Hey! Hey!......

A few WS cards are on the way to you....

(Where's my free beer???)

Please take a pic and post when you're done with construction...

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Scott,

("sjeanblanc") Thank you very much for the cards, I will be putting them to good use. I received them Saturday. I wanted to thank you sooner put my home computer shuts down everytime I try to get online at home. I have to call MSN customer service. I ran the worm blaster removal tool and a complete virus scan but they come up as clean. Anyone else having problems with MSN?

So agian Scott, THANK YOU. image

King,

When you going to be in town for that beer? image

Thanks for the cards. I can't wait to see em!

I will post pictures when I 'm done. Finished two bedrooms this weekend, stained allot of trim, framed in a soffet and a wall. Been very busy. I have to be in two weeks from today but once I am moved in, the bar project starts.image

Thanks again to all who have gone out of their way to help. I appreciate it a ton.

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    No problemo Glen,

Man the Post Office hauled butt on that, I didn't get them in the mail until Friday morning. Maybe we could have a CrossTown Classic party at the new "Sports Bar"?

Take it easy,

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ---------------------------------------

• Options
    More thank you's from yesterday. Again sorry for the delay but I have the Sasser Virus at home and I will be putting in the patch hopefully tonight.

Thanks to

Don Huse
    Eric Gibson

and someone from OSS NY?? (Unless I misplased a name here)

I appreciate this very much. Last night I worked til 1 am and back to real work at 6 am. Getting sleepy now but I have to be in in less than two weeks. Bought all new trim yesterday and started staining. I'm off the next three days so hopefully I can get a big chunk done.

Work, work, work work, work!

Can't wait to get to the bar work though. Thanks will be really fun.

Thanks to all,

Glen