Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Kyle Patrick Collection of Lincoln Cents to be sold/ Remodel of house is coming along

I purchased a summer home with waterfront on a nice lake. So, I am forced to liquidate my set in order to afford this new home. It will be sold at the Long Beach Heritage Signature Sale at the beginning of June. If anyone is interested in a description of a specific coin...please PM me. Also, my set can be viewed in the PCGS registry (some pictures on a few coins) where grades of specific coins can be seen as well as where some of the coins were acquired. The set can't begin to compare with the recently sold Sadler and Poole collections...but there are some nice coins that can be had for a fraction of the cost of the next grade up. For example, the 14-S and 23-S (as are others) are really nice coins in my opinion when compared with what you would have to pay for an MS65RD example. This is a hard time for me...knowing I spent a great deal of time over the last 5 to 8 years putting this set together....and may never be able to complete the set again without spending a great deal more money.
Marc

Comments

• Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I am confused. Is this an announcement of a sale or an invite to your new house?

Sorry to see you go

-sog
  • Options
    SOG- I think it would be both. I think a meeting with other Lincoln Collectors (who of course bring some of their nicest coins to show off) at my Lake House would be perfect. The beers are cold, the sunshine is warm....and the Lake water is clean/clear. Relaxing out on the boat with a cold one will have to be my consolation for giving up my collection. I will definitely start a new series. Maybe Indians?? I need two quarters to finish my 1932-1964 set...so I will probably use some of the proceeds to finish that set (not sure if I need to clear that with my wife yet).
    Marc
  • Options
    Not the way I like to climb in the ranks but attrition is one way.....

Sorry to see it head for the block. Out of the entire series, which 5 (or ten) did you like the most and why.

Rich
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marcalan,

Yet anohter changing of the guard!

As you anticipate, one of the largest prices of selling is diminishing the opportunity to schmooze as much with other like-minded Lincoln nuts.

I think a reunion at your lakehouse would be the perfect touch and solace! image

Massive good fortune on your auction!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Marc,

Total bummer on the sell. I'm sure you will enjoy your new home.

I was faced with a similar situation a few months back. I started selling off coins to help with the purchase of a house. I think I bought one peice of furnature with the proceeds. The rest went right back into coins. The house is awesome!!! The payments are comfortible, and I've managed to send in a decent amount extra on my payments each month (both of them).

Now my next big decision is do I finish everything but the 14-D then build funds, or go for the 14-D and get the 20 or so coins I'll need after the big sell off.

...got any browns left over?

David
  • Options

WOW, sorry to hear the news. I'm sure you're doing what's right for you and your family. I will be astonished, however, if you are able to stay away. I had very similar circumstances that lead to me selling my first collection (I'm sure you can tell I'm still not over it), two and half years went by and I went back at it. I like the idea of a little Lincoln cent collectors retreat. Everyone can bring a few "show and tell" items.
    Best of luck with the sale,

Jack
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Yes, best of luck with the sale! I'm sure you'll have more than enough fun at your new home to make up for the loss of the coins! Even though your grades aren't as high as Poole or Sadler, your coins are still fabulous. (One of the nicest coins in my entire set was one of Marc's duplicates!). I'm going to have to really work hard selling tons of my coins so I'll have money to bid! Thanks for the early heads up! Best of luck again!
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Marc,

Congrats on the great set; I'm sure you'll see some nice prices. You better start planning to treat me to a fine steak dinner to celebrate the hammer price you're going to get on a certain coin. image

All of us down at the Lincoln Recidivist Society will be waiting to hear from you in a year or two. image

Roger
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    Roger- You sold me some nice coins. Which specific one are you referring to? I am thinking you could possibly be talking about the 54P...but I might be wrong?? Marc
    Marc
  • Options
    Keyrock (Rich)- It would be easy to pick out a few MS66RD and MS67RD coins and say I like them the most...because they are nice...but they are expected to be nice. If I was putting together a set like mine (Red coins at modest prices)...I would have to say the following few coins in my set are probably the pieces I would very aggressively pursue.

Early dates:

1914-S and 1923-S in PCGS MS64RD. These would be the top 2 I would go after because it is so hard to find nice ones.

The 14-S is extremely clean and nice for the grade (this isn't common for this date in MS64RD). Look at the pictures on the PCGS Registry site (Kyle Patrick Collection). I paid $2350 for the coin almost 18 months ago. The 23-S is a very difficult date to find nice in 64RD....and my piece is way above average from the coins I have seen. In MS65RD...the 23-S is a $30k coin. I would be comfortable paying $3000 for my coin....knowing that in MS65RD....it would cost 10x that for a coin that is only marginably nicer.

Other nice coins (for the grade). The 09-S VDB, 1909P (REALLY NICE and SUPER PQ), 12-D, 13-D (nicest I have ever seen for the grade...and much nicer than the MS65RD I own), 21-S (tough to find nice). There are some pictures of these on my Registry.

Later Dates:

1949P (phenomenal acquired from Angel Dee's). 1954P (super PQ from Rella). (Both MS66RD PQ++++)

Other nice coins are the 1947P (another Rella PQ) and 1953P (lincolncentman)Both MS66RD PQ+

The nicest coin in my entire set (my opinion) is the 1958-D PCGS MS67RD (Acquired from Angel Dee's). A Heritage Rep agreed it was the nicest of that date he had ever seen.

Hope this helps. Marc
    Marc
  • Options
    I decided to make it a true auction. All 140 coins will be sold without any Reserves!! I am a little nervous about doing this....but after talking with Mike Sadler....I decided to roll the dice and hope the market will be strong and the demand high for my coins. There will be a few bargains I am sure. I have my airfare and will attend the auction in person. I hope to meet some of you at Long Beach early next month.
    Marc
  • Options
    KeyrockKeyrock Posts: 961
    Marc,

Don't worry too much. I'm sure they will get bid up to nice numbers. The way some of the lower quality material has been selling anything with great appeal should do quite well. Good Luck, I'll do my part.

Rich
  • Options

You're going to do just great. The last Heritage auction shows that there are still people out there willing to take these crazy Lincolns to the stratosphere (including meimage). Plus there are new sets popping up all the time. Just take a look at Bender. That person is very active right now. I find it hard to believe, but many think that Lincolns will be strong and getting stronger up through 2009. Sit back and enjoy your lake place.

Jack
  • Options
    Jack and Rich - Thanks for the comments.

Jack- I don't think I have more than 2 coins that Bender would be interested in. I met him at the recent Portland ANA and he is a nice guy and is putting together a really nice set of Lincolns. I encouraged him to register his set so that he could meet more of us and share in our common pursuit as well as do a little networking (as I did putting my set together) to help him locate the coins he is looking for.

Marc