Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hockey Guys..80-81 Topps PSA 8

Should you be able to get a grade of PSA 8 with the black hockey puck scratched off? Check out this auction 80-81 Topps Bourque. Has anyone ever seen a grade this high? or, is it an oversight by a PSA grader?

BTW, he has the Gretzky also 80-81 Gretzky which is interesting as it has a ST qualifier.

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen too many graded '80-81 Topps cards with the puck scratched off, but I think I've read somewhere that 8's are in fact possible on scratched cards.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    I would be awfully upset if I purchased the cards sight unseen as PSA 8s. I feel as though the cards are altered and probably shouldn't be graded at all without the black puck.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I actually think the black coating is kind of unsightly - especially on the leader cards - so I don't see a problem with PSA awarding 8's to otherwise mint cards that have been scratched. The pucks were meant to be rubbed off so it doesn't seem right to lump that action in with recoloring, trimming or what have you. However, you're definitely right about buying them sight unseen. Anyone who is concerned about the issue should probably request scans or information if neither is provided in a description.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy any Topps cards from that year... I think the puck looks awful, scratched or not. With the OPC issue, at least you know it won't look that crappy.
  • Options
    I agree with you whole heartedly as the seller of this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16307&item=4126701574&ssPageName=STRK:MESSE:IT

(anyone care to teach this neanderthal how to make a link? thx)

Are they really the same grade???!!! Grrrr.
  • Options
    I think they just blew it on this one. No way is that card otherwise mint--both right and left edges show wear.
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings
  • Options
    scratched cards should grade no higher than a 6, imo
  • Options
    I believe the grader must have mixed up the issues with OPC and believed that the pucks were suppose to look like that. The black out is part of the card and if it's scratched off the grade shouldn't be that high.

Go for the OPC issue....Topps just sucks in hockey in the 80's...why settle for second best?.....OPC looks better too, you get some funky french stuff on the backs of cards....
    CB4
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Spigrimace, How to link

Hope this helps,
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    I don't think the scratched cards should be downgraded as long as the scratching didn't affect the surface of the card. It's not part of the card, just like Topps Finest peels. Maybe they should designate "scratched" on the labels. Or just stick with the OPCs.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    The problem with these Topps cards is you can never get ALL of the scratch stuff off. Look to the top-left of the puck and you can see a slight ring left behind, and the puck itself is left darker in color than the OPC issues. I kind of like the idea of a "Scratched" qualifier.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    I know that the 1964 baseball cards have a rub spot on the back of the cards, which shows a comic or stat when rubbed, are they downgraded when they have been rubbed? Also, the hockey "game cards" from the mid 70's have the same black, I do think that they would be graded after being "used".