Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

There seems to be a lot more Musicians that collect around here

I find collecting and baseball to be a therapeutic break from the insane and demanding lifestyle of music. At one time I thought I was the only one who collected sports cards that played an instrument.It's not exactly true but it seemed that way even though a couple guys I've played with for years always did.But the majority of the music community couldn't give a rats arse about a card or sports in general but it's cool to know there are a number of folks around here play instruments either as a hobby,or professionally.

One of my students is a Hockey/Football/Soccer/Lacross nut.Back in my day at his age the Musicians didn't want to play with sports guys and it's the same for this kid too because I guess the jocks and Musicians still don't click and that's a shame.I remember when music took over my life - baseball and football stopped and friends you had your whole life were no longer just because of your interests as a youth.

I wonder how much has changed since I was a kid because you see a lot of major leaguers in all sports that play instruments and there happens to be quite a few musicians (famous and non) that collect sports cards.

So what do you play???

I play Bass as my primary instrument.

Comments

• at one time or another, i've played drums, guitar, and sang for punk bands around my hometown
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob
    I don't have a scanner or I would post a pic from the last band I was in. I play guitar and some drums and am better at rhythm than lead. The last band I was in was while stationed overseas and we toured the country as a representative of the Turkish embassy (attache for cultural affairs) - it was the greatest experience of my life since I was always in what is referred to as "holiday inn" bands that play in a bar from thur-sun to about 200 people. While in Turkey, we played to as many as 3000 people! I'm not ready to put another band together in San Antonio - it's way too much work. Thanx for allowing me to reminisce. BTW, the first band I was apart of was in High School and we were called the Rondells. Pretty hokey?
    Mike
    Mike
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I played drums for several years, but stopped a few years back. I miss it.

Rob, there was an article you'd probably like in Rolling Stone a few years back. It was about the traditional divide between "music people" and "sports people," and how that divide is breaking down. Master P and Shaq were used as examples, and they talked about the blending of the cultures and blurring of lines. Interesting read.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have played my Washburn 12 string for almost 10 years now.
    before that I had a fender 12 and an Applause 6 string (the one with the rounded back) I taught myself how to play about 13 yrs ago

That coincided with my leaving the card hobby. I try to pick up my guitar at least 1x a day.
    Good for you.
  • anyone know any card collecting musicians?
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I've been getting back into music after several years of semi-neglect. I'm in a recently formed band and rehearsing for local club gigs. I have no aspirations or dreams of expanding outside the weekly gig scenario but I'm looking forward to sharpening up my chops again. I started collecting and playing sports at age 8 and playing the guitar at age 11. I never had any conflicts with the two at all. I find both equally enjoyable and a nice break from the "real world".

In fact, I'm heading off to rehearsal shortly so out the door I go...
    For the guitar guys:
    I would like to know what you play and set up: I play an Ibenez 340S which has clean sounds and paint peeling distortion through a marshall stack with a JCM dual reverb and a Digitech pro legend/rocktronics processor rack - for small gigs I have a Fender Power chorus that is really nice.
    Anyone else?
    Mike
    Mike
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Acoustic all the way for me Mike, Im into clear crisp chords and notes. The most I'll do is a few bends and pull offs....hehe
    Good for you.

<< <i>Acoustic all the way for me Mike, Im into clear crisp chords and notes >>

Steve
    The motto of my first few bands I was in: If you can't play well, play LOUD!
    Mike
    Mike
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    anyone know any card collecting musicians?

Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) collects from what I have heard
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Most of the guys in Pearl Jam are huge basketball fans.

Here's a record me and my obscure garage band cut in 1968 :

Back in the olden days these things were known as 45s.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

<< <i>Here's a record me and my obscure garage band cut in 1968 : >>

Wolf
    That is INCREDIBLE! I have quite a few casette demos but a 45!!!! I was in a band in college and we used to play Led's Stairway to Heaven two three times a nite! You should be right there dude!
    Thanx for the scan - my son is in school in NYC for music and technician training for recording - I will save this and show it to him - this kid is equipped with an Apple G5 and software that is totally foreign to me.
    Thanx again,
    Mike
    PS: I know this has nothing to do with sports, but Wolf, you have brought a smile to my face!!!
    Mike
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Great Stories everyone.

I'm happy to see the connection between Sports the Hobby and Music.

Gemint,I'm glad you got that band togethor you were speaking of attempting a while back.Nothing wrong with being a blue collar musician making a few bucks and having fun doing it.

Some of the origional people frown on the people who play covers but the cool thing is you get paid to play and the material is limitless.Plus that extra $100 per gig can certainly get handy for feeding the addiction to the hobby.

Heh.One night between the regular pay of the gig I did and the Tip money I got a PSA 10 1980 Andre Dawson.image

• << <i>anyone know any card collecting musicians?

Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) collects from what I have heard >>

Eddie does. PJ used to be called Mookie Blaylock, but had to change names.

Toby Keith collects baseball cards, and he has a pretty good collection from what i've heard.

Russ Rankin, lead singer of the punk band Good Riddance (my screen name), is a huge NJ Devils fan and collects hockey stuff.
    Who posted that Picture on the Registry forum of Geddy Lee's collection.

I think the guy who did does a Rush Tribute band.

Geddy has a massive sports collection.
  • CW

rush is awesome, "red barchetta" always gets me pumped
    Leland Sklar
    The bass player for James Taylor, Carol King, Brian Wilson etc., has been a big memorabilia collector for years - while others would sleep, he would comb the countryside looking for interesting stuff both sports and nonsports. Saw a piece on him on the 'incurable collector' on TV.
    Mike
    Mike
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    This talk about "music people" and "sports people" and breaking down barriers and all...

It all started with Huey Lewis! LOL!
    He Played bass on Bernie Williams CD and did that Live gig in Chicago Last year.

If you have the Yes Network you might have seen Leland on the Gig.

He also played with Phil Collins,John Lennon and a number of others.He's one of the top session players out there.

<< <i>He also played with Phil Collins,John Lennon and a number of others.He's one of the top session players out there. >>

Good one Rob
    In fact he is in a few of the Collins' videos like I believe the one he did with Phillip Bailey - 'Easy Lover' and the one 'Something Happened on the way to Heaven'.

You can run, and you can hide
    But I'm not leaving less you come with me
    We've had our problems but I'm on your side
    You're all I need, please believe in me image

Mike
    Mike
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Nice thread, Rob - great to see all you musicians climbing out of the woodwork. My first post on these boards was that cards and guitars are my passion, always have been, always will be. Wolfbear - nice 45! I had an indie album out in the mid '80s, but the cover is too big for my scanner. In '72, I played with the remnants of Blue Cheer (Paul Whaley's old lady would walk him in, sit him behind the drums and watch like a hawk till he fell off). I played lead with an offshoot of Levi and the Rockats in the '80s and now I'm comfortably retired into a '60s British Invasion band, sponsored by KOLA radio in Riverside. This has been a fun ride, allowing my to play recently with Gordon Waller of Peter and Gordon, Fang of Paul Revere and the Raiders, as well as gleaning some great friendships along the way. I play 6 guitars on stage, for all the band sounds we emulate: '62 Fender Strat (my main ax), Gibson ES135 (middle pickup for early Beatles, I'm not obsessive!), Rickenbacker V64 12 string (for Byrds and others), modern American Tele (tuned open for Keith Richards stuff), a Gibson J160 acoustic and some sort of recent electric sitar (Paint it Black, Norwegian Wood).
    Edited to add: let's see if I can put this one up....

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

<< <i> now I'm comfortably retired into a '60s British Invasion band, sponsored by KOLA >>

Mark
    Good post - great pic! I was in an Eagles style band a few years back and would like to settle into an 60-70's combo to bring in the 'southern rock' sound which I really like. Thanx,
    Mike
    Mike
    Norwegian Wood

I know that one.image
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mike - you must have one sweet voice if you were doing Eagles! Hey, I got my Sanella set - WOW! The holdered Ruth is a swimmer, but it's gorgeous. How do you display your set? I'm not sure if I'm comfortable putting them into Cardsaver I's. It also looks like they are numbered on the back (my wife read the Der Kaum zum Finfleben biefes, etc. perfectly; I asked her what does it mean and she said I dunno!). Is there a checklist somewhere? Mayhaps, in English?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."