Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How do I know if this is PVC?

Hi all

I just received this

Franc

Nothing too special I guess but it seems to fit nicely into my "bith year" collection

I like the presentation in the case but I was worried about eventual damage if the case is PVC. I don't know if this is the original folder but I guess it is as it fits so well. There is a little clouding on the fields of the coin but no sign of corrosion to date.

Is there an obvious test that will tell me if this coin is in a PVC case?

I know the best option is pull the coin out and stick it in an airtite but for $6.59 I like the combination of coin and dated cover more than the coin alone.

As always the wisdom of the forum is humbly sought

Dr J

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Softness of the plastic is a good indicator. If it feels soft yet is firm, it probably contains PVC plasticizer.

There might be a strong smell from the plastic, which would make one suspect PVC, but it may have already completely outgassed.

I have a similar stamp/coin combination for a 1980 Queen Mother crown. The wallet continaing the first day cover is PVC but the coin is housed in a blister-pack made from what appears to be safe plastic similar to that used to make "Cointains."
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Please note that sometimes that thin hard plastic can seem like soft plastic.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    If you detect a smell like a "shower curtin" in the plastic you can bet PVC is not far behindimage
  • Options

<< <i>If you detect a smell like a "shower curtin" in the plastic you can bet PVC is not far behindimage >>

Well, now im confused........so i smelled my coin sleeves that hold the 2x2s..........they wreak of ''shower curtain''.........yet I checked the home page of the company and they sell them as not containing PVC.

its the Cowens 3 holed pages that hold 2x2s.........

anyone know for sure about these?
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382

I should have phrased my answer this way, coins with active PVC can often be detected by a noticeable "shower curtain" odor (what a new shower curtain smells like). But the same hold true to coin holders. I don't use coins flip or other holders that have that shower curtain smell and remove coins from holders that also have this smell.

I don't know much about sheets that hold 2x2s but I think that if the coin were in a 2x2 and then placed into the sleeve then it should be safe.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    It's not PVC plastic, if it was, the coin would have been severly damaged after 30+ years of exposure.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson