Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hit for the Cycle

<< <i>Brewers' Moeller goes full cycle in win over Reds
By Chuck Johnson, USA TODAY
MILWAUKEE — Catcher Chad Moeller hit for the first cycle at home in Milwaukee Brewers history. >>

I know that no one is going to rush out and pick up his RC's or anything. But, how significant is this statistic? What are your thoughts on this one.
Mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    chad moeller?
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    I view this feat a little like a hole-in-one in golf: it's more of a statistical anomaly than a major achievement.
  • Options
    pretty impressive when your hitting under .250 i beleive...

• Options
    Except the double was really an error.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Cycles are cool, and rare but not really super-rare. Someone 7 or 8 years ago figured out that there had been as many cycles as no-hitters, which was 239 at the time. I think no-hitters are a little ahead now. Hank Blalock did it twice in one week back in 2001 in the minors. It's only 4 hits in one game, but if you can find a list of who has done it, it is amazing to see who has done it, and who has not.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Thanks, spacktrack.

The fact that the Pirates have had 22 but the Dodgers only 8 shows what anomalies these are.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Interesting that babe ruth never hit for the cycle! nor has barry bonds
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    "The Cycle" is over-rated. The premier accomplishment is hitting 4 home runs in one game. It's only been done 15 times. Fewer perfect games have been thrown than 4 home run games. There are also many players who have acheived 4 hits in a game that are actually "better" than "the cycle" (ie - 2 home runs, double, single).
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I meant to say that "more perfect games have been thrown than 4 home run games".

As refererence, here is who did it:

AL - Gehrig(32), Seerey(48), Colavito(59), Cameron(02), Delgado(03).

NL - Lowe(1894), Delahanty(1896), Klein(36), Hodges(50), Adclock(54), Mays(61), Schmidt(76), Horner(86), Whiten(93), Green(02).
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    The cycle isn't over-rated. In fact, I'm not aware of any "ratings" at all. It's just a curious accomplishment that has a cool name. If there was a name for a single, a double and 2 homers, people would keep track of those, too.

Earlier this week, Kevin Mench of the Rangers was a double away from a cycle. In his last AB he hit what looked like a gapper to left-center but Raul Ibanez cut it off (it wasn't really hit very hard). But for a second Mench looked like he was going for it, really digging around first but he pulled up when he saw he had no shot. That was pretty fun.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay