Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An enormous collecting idea...

So some of you may know that my real area of interest is British sixpences dated 1674-1694 and i'm trying to get every date and variety in VF or higher.

Well i also fancied doing something that involves hammered coins as a secondary collection.

Now having realised the other day that i have at least one coin for every monarch since Charles II, i've decided to have a bash at getting the rest, yes all of them, from AEthelwulf (succeded Egbert, but i can't afford an Egbert) through to Oliver Cromwell.

Missing out only AEthelbald (no coins exist), Edward The Martyr, Empress Matilda and Edward V.

So that just leaves AEthelwulf - Henry I, Henry II, Richard I, Edward II, Richard II - Cromwell.

I think this is gonna be fun.

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    That's indeed ambitious.

Best of luck!

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    So you only have those seven monarchs left to get? If so, you're doing darn good. I also enjoy putting
    together a coin-for-every-British-monarch type set-- I didn't set out to do it, but I began noticing my
    accumulations were turning into that kind of type set.
  • Options

<< <i>So you only have those seven monarchs left to get? >>

No i've got every monarch between AEthelwulf and Henry I to get! All thirty or so. Not to mention every monarch from Richard II to Charles I.

But i don't think Henry V through to Charles I will give me too many problems.
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Posts: 887
    Your best bet for the Cromwell would be a shilling. Only the halfcrown starts at £950 Fine and then the other denominations jump to £1750+. The shilling books at £500 in fine but usually turn up in better grade than that so is hard to find in "affordable" grade. At the moment however, all Cromwell coins are skyrocketing and a purchase of £500 Fine may involve a lot of luck. Everyone wants one but can't afford the VF. Consequently putting a Fine grade shilling on Ebay would be like throwing a bloody carcass to a pack of starved wolves. The final value may be closer to £700 or even higher.

I'm finding that British coin fairs only have better grade examples of Cromwell gear because of the above reason, so that involves an outlay of at least £2,000.

Around 18 months ago I purchased a Good-Fine shilling for £360 and sold for £450. Those days are long gone.

L
  • Options
    I saw a Cromwell shilling in F going for £750 a few months back, it was the real thing not the copy.

I'd love to get one of those contemporary copy Sixpences though struck from the original dies. Me and sixpences image

But the shilling is the most affordable.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Me and sixpences >>

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Me, too! A tanner a day...... Good luck with the monarch run!

I'm only ambitious enough to try for C2 to E2. The many types of George II could put a further crimp in my mousepad though... image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "my real area of interest is British sixpences dated 1674-1694"

Have any pics?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    i got a whole page full... practically got a full type set, i've just got a William IV one and i'm upgrading the 1693, (all i need now is a James II, a Queen Anne pre Union [if it has VIGO it kills two birds with one stone] a type I Geo IV and a Victoria Young head).

I'm working on the Charles II set at the minute, i've got the 1674, 1675/4 big 6 over little 6, 1675, 1676/5 and 1680 so far. (I know where there is a decent 1677 for sale, and a 1684 that i'm unsure about, gradewise it's borderline, i think i want a better example),

Here's the link...

Sixpences
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Well, I am impressed... very well done!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I am impressed... very well done!image >>

Thanks! It took me about two years to get that lot, so i'm very proud.

Here's the new William IV one, that arrived this morning.

imageimage

I should have been concentrating on the 1677 now, but something caught my eye, i need to upgrade my King John penny from a very dark toned one that looks to have been dug up, and i just happened to see this...

Here's what i should really be buying...

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once was trying to get one coin per monarch from the Norman Conquest onward. The earliest I had was a nice Stephen penny.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins, I really like that 1711 Queen Anne.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    A worthy challenge for a worthy collector, indeed!! image Best of luck!!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Sylvestius, nice collection of sixpences. I'm also trying a monarch set, I would like to complete a set from William I
    to Victoria.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your comments!

And yes i like the 1711 one too (not many people say much about that one), but the obverse is wonderful, the eyes, you can see the detail on the eyes, now that's what i like most about these things. If you can see the eyes it's good enough for me!

Just crossed another monarch off of my list, I now have an Edward III coin and i'll be upgrading the John one shortly.

And my AEF 1693 sixpence arribed today so i am well happy!
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I also have a monarch set going back to Edwig 955 - 959. I'm down to five left, Edwig 955 - 959, Edward the Martyr 975 - 979, Edmund Ironside 1016, Harold II 1066, and Edgar Ethling 1066. So I'm complete from 1067 to date.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very impressive!!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image