Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mickey Mantle Autograph help needed

***edited because I just noticed I had typed Micket Mantle***** I am hoping to add a Mickey Mantle autograph to my collection. There is one for sale that should probably end in my price range, however it does not have a COA but the seller is a power seller with perfect feedback (over 2k transactions) I emailed the seller and he told me he would refund my money if it did not pass PSA/DNA certification but I would hate to waste the time getting it graded if it appears to those with more knowledge then I to be a fake. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated! Thanks
Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
Unique Chicago Cards
Wrestling Cards

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UD Authenticated exemplar
    Rockdjrw
    I am definitely not an expert on auto's, that one looks pretty good to me - here's one I took off a website entitled 'tribute to Mickey Mantle' - it looks similar to yours - but if he is giving you a guarantee and he has a good reputation - well, that's pretty good. What is the size of that item?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The swoop on the bottom of the "M"s lloks like it is looped around itself. Mantle usually comes straight up from the point into the second hump. The slant on the "a" also is not as steep as Mantle often makes it. It is hard to tell where it is such a heavy and dark sharpie. Autos w/o a COA are always a risk, a low ending price is usually a sign that many shyed away from it for some reason or another. I say save your money and get a COA one.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Allen makes some good points, it does look pretty good, but that doesn't mean much. The other too, in response to Allen's post, is that a COA is only as good as the person/company backing it up.

To steal a line from Tommy Callahan in Tommy Boy, "But what if the Guarantee Fairy's a crazy glue sniffer? Next thing you know there's change missing from your dresser and your daughter's knocked up. I've seen it a hundred times"

Er something like that...no wait, it has to be your bull..

Ah nevermind. You get the point. image
  • Options
    Yeah I should have clarified on the COA deal. Anyone with a computer can make a COA. I usually like PSA/DNA, UDA, Steiner, even Scoreboard. Scoreboard is out the window now though since someone has either had a stamp made or somehow gotten one from Kenny Goldin. Ebay has a lot of Autos of Wilt, Russell, Bonds, Kobe etc. that have scoreboard seals and are fake. Sadly they have the Bidders ID Private and no one can warn them and they go in the hundreds.
  • Options
    another UDA auto
    When it comes to Mantle's auto - if you look at a bunch of UDA's - I see many slightly different versions of his signature. In this one, he loops the bottom of the M similar to the one shown on top. Click on the photo and you will get a magnifier button.
    Authenticating is a tough job!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help guys! What do you think of GAI/DNA? I recently got a good deal on a Hank Aaron auto by GAI. Hank Aaron auction
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Okay, I just had the itch to actually find the full quote. I'm a huge Tommy Boy fan and thought it was appropriate, if not at least good for a laugh.

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
    Ted: I'm listening.
    Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
    Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
    Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
    Ted: What's your point?
    Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
    Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
    Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of $hit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
    Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
  • Options
    I hate that UDA auto, It is sad to see Mantle like that. I still say the auto just dosn't llok right, it dosn't really look fluid. In the second "M" you can see what looks too be a little stutter at the end and then the "a" still just dosn't look right. I wouldn't spend my money on it, but then again you never know. How much is the bid?
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    The bid now is only at about 30 dollars. I'm not trying to hide the auction so if you guys want to see I can post a link. I am looking to spend under 200 dollars on a Mantle. I know i can get a HOF postcard from Les Wolf for that but I am not a big fan of those.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    There is a 86TCMA PSA/DNA on ebay with no bids. It started at $200. I suggest you email the seller and maybe work something out.
    Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>In the second "M" you can see what looks too be a little stutter at the end and then the "a" still just dosn't look right. >>

Allen
    I see what you mean - also, I think I read an article that you should look at the spacing of the letters in the auto - the n and t in mantle are very close - all UDA's appears to be evenly spaced. Tho, of course there can be exceptions. As we know, people have sent autos they have obtained IN person and have them rejected.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I have 7 Mantle autographs - all gotten in person. This looks pretty good. If the seller will refund your money if it does not pass authentication - go for it. The biggest sign of fake Mantle auto's is if the M's are not of the same loop and different sizes.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...