Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bring back San Francisco business strikes

I was thinking that to boost popularity and draw in more collectors, why not, perhaps for a year or two, bring back the San Francisco mint, for business strikes? I can remember when I was little being so excited when I found an S-mintmark Lincoln cent or Jeff. nickel, and I think the same thing might work today. Any thoughts?
Best,
BR

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have thought for a long time that the SF mint should produce circ coins, I doubt that it will happen, but if it does, that would be cool.
  • Options
    With the quality of the business strike CRAP coming out of the Philly mint, I would be 'all for it'.
    But then again the business strike quality from Uncle Elmers back yard with a die and and a big ass hammer would provide a better alternate mint mark!
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • Options
    Having grown up in the San Francisco area, finding S-mint coins was no big deal as a kid. For my 18th birthday, I went to the San Francisco mint for a tour -- it was great! I've heard they've since closed it for public tours...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file