Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anybody else notice....

that when you get down to about 10% of the set left, it's harder to find some thing you need?

....I have a profound grasp for the obvious.

David

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you answered your own question.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    As a type collector, I find the problem is that I don't want that last 10% in my collection.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

David,

Not only harder to find, but a he** of a lot more expensive! I am getting to the point that adding coins to my set is financially challenging.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    JKN,

I hear you. My set is worth right at what I make in a year as a Teacher.... well, after taxes. I just bought a really nice house. The only money I spend on coins is the money I make with coins. That slows things down a bit. It also makes i necessary that I deal at a level or two above what I collect. That makes it even more difficult. Since I'm a collector at heart, I want to keep the best stuff. I just sold a NGC 67RD 54-P that I hated to let go. There are a number of coins that I've had over the past year that are that way. However, with each sell, it makes me more able to buy another highly desirable. That's the kind I like to have... the kind where if it doesnt sell, I'm happy to keep.

I still have two toughies left: the 14-D and 26-S. I've had both, twice. I had a NGC 64BN 14-D that didnt have the strike I wanted. I sold it after owning it for about a month. Shortly after that, I picked up a 14-D in PCGS 65BN. Man, I didnt like that coin. It had some carbon spots on it, and I absolutly hate carbon. I also think it had been wiped with some MS70 or something. It had a unnatural blue "glow" to it.... and no, it definatly wasnt whitman album toning. I sold it about three or four months ago. I've seen several holders that would fit what I'm collecting, but I dont want to look at the most expencive coin in my set and frown. I'm holding out for a killer example. On the 26-S, I know where three 64BN's are, two NGC, and one PCGS. I'll probably go for the PCGS one. If I dont get it, I'll pick up the better NGC example.

The rest of them are relatively easy to buy, in the $100-$400 range. It's just a matter of finding a nice one.

By the way, do you know how hard it is to find a nice common date P mint in slabbed brown????? They're worth too little for anyone to slab, and nice raw ones are extreamly scarce ....

David

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>As a type collector, I find the problem is that I don't want that last 10% in my collection. >>

AMEN!

I find I don't always want to spend the money. As is the sometimes the case, the most expensive coins are put off till last.

Another problem is finding what you want... good qualilty coins. With all the Registry sets, and coins being held by collectors not participating in the Registry, finding nice coins becomes a challange. That's why I like collecting by type. I have a broader selection base than if I was focusing on a specific series. Besides that, I'm impatient. I don't want to wait months/years for a single date and mint mark, in the grade I want, to come to market.

Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The only money I spend on coins is the money I make with coins."

LincolnCentMan, I have your problem solved. Now here it is:

Go to your local coin store and buy 1 roll of 1969-S or 1970-S lincolns. Your choice, as it won't matter. Open the roll, find a double die from that roll, send it in to PCGS, and get a MS68RD grade, and sell it to wondercoin for 100K or so, and then you will have enough income to buy the 10% of the coins needed for your set! Now...isn't that easy? imageimage

I just want you to know, I was laughing the whole time I was writing this!

Good luck!
    Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    If anyone could make such a find, I bet it'd be David!

p.s. I own several rolls of 69-s and 70-s, and looked for double dies but didn't find any image.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    And about that last 10% percent thing... here's what happened to me... My 14-d and 09-s vdb were the first 2 early mintmarked coins I got, and then next was 24-d and twenties S's, so my last 10% was going to be easy dates... but lots of these coins I got early on were only 63rb and I kept making my goals for the set slightly higher... slightly higher... so now I have or may want to upgrade these coins and then they unfortunately might be the last 10%! Didn't quite work out. I wish I had realized I would have the ability to afford as many really nice 64rd's as I have got. I had a lot more money early on too so I could have bought some really nice ones but didn't (an 18-s and 23-s come to mind!).
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. Anybody got a roll of 70-S or 69-S doubled dies they can sell me for a few bucks? Man, I could afford a nice Morgan Dollar set with that kind of find. Heck, who am I kidding.... I'd pay the house off first.

David
  • Options

David,

I might be able to help with a nice brown early P mint. I'll check my 2x2's. Remember, I said "might". If it puts you further ahead of me I may have to hold offimage.
    Just joking, I'll see what I got.

Jack
  • Options
    JKN,

Thanks for looking for me. Concidering PCGS is a three month turn-around, I wouldnt be passing you anytime soon. ;-).

David
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Its funny you are one spot behind me on the registry list. I too am having a tough time filling out the set. I have some additions to ad but I just have not sent the coins in. I have a nice 22-D but its in an ANACS holder. I will be droping a couple of spots after long beach. I am selling off my 20-D 65RD, 24-S 64RD, 51-P 67RD, 23-P 66RD and 45-P 67RD and these will be at long beach heritage sale. I have replacements for all but the 20-D and 24-S. Sigh