Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

starting a new set

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well now that I'm employed I've decided to start a completely new coin set for me image I'm gonna do a 20th Century Type Set. First coin will be the Frankie cause it's my ladies favorite coin image This is gonna be a fun one!

Comments

• Options
    nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Franklins rule. image
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Kewl image
  • Options
    Cool! Are you going to consider the Sacagawea as part of the 20th century? Personally, I would -- don't know how others feel.
  • Options
    No Sac $, I'm going by the set composition for the pcgs registry set and its not included (good thing cause i dont like em) image
  • Options
    I would not talk so much trash regarding the Sacagawea. Compared to the SBA, it's friggin beautiful.

TB
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well now that I'm employed I've decided to start a completely new coin set for me image I'm gonna do a 20th Century Type Set. First coin will be the Frankie cause it's my ladies favorite coin image This is gonna be a fun one! >>

May I recommend a DCAM Frankie stunner!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>I would not talk so much trash regarding the Sacagawea. Compared to the SBA, it's friggin beautiful.

TB >>

I like the reverse of the SAC but the obverse seems to be looking right at me. The SAC looks great in proof DCAM.
  • Options
    You didn't mention, so I'll ask:

Is your set circ strikes or proofs or both? (or neither image)
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • Options

<< <i>Well now that I'm employed I've decided to start a completely new coin set for me image I'm gonna do a 20th Century Type Set. First coin will be the Frankie cause it's my ladies favorite coin image This is gonna be a fun one! >>

Is there a target grade that you had in mind? For myself, for example, I'm aiming for the following:

FBL MS64 or higher (PCGS or NGC) (no toning)
    non-FBL MS65 or higher (no toning)

My favorite aspects of Franklins are that it's pretty easy to complete the set as there are no tough key dates and the coin had a short run.

• Options

<< <i>I would not talk so much trash regarding the Sacagawea. Compared to the SBA, it's friggin beautiful. >>

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of SBA's either...at least I'll only need 1 image

<< <i>Is your set circ strikes or proofs or both? >>

Just circulation strikes. (maybe proofs when I'm done with the MS coins)

<< <i>Is there a target grade that you had in mind? >>

Only target I have is the best grade I can afford at the time I'm ready to purchase one.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing better than a type set, imo image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I started a 20th century not too long ago, it is a fun set to put together.

• Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The Sac is ugly, but the Franklin is beautiful, now that's funny.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I recently started an "El Cheap-O Type Set" image 20th Century Major Design, No Gold, Registry Set... I'm #42 current finest at the moment, I believe... haven't check recently, and I'm only 45% complete currently... though i still have some of the harder, and more expensive, coins to get for the set... like the IHC, V Nickel, Type 1 and 2 Buffalo, Type 1 SLQ, High-Relief Peace, Barber Dime, Quarter and Half... tryin to find them already slabbed in lower (AKA Cheaper image) grades... but that is proving difficult... also lookin for a nice VF30 Morgan for the set... but that's turning out to be hard... image And I only have a couple dates to choose from the Morgans... 1900-1904 and 1921... will probally end up with an '04-O or '21...
    -George
    42/92

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file