Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

notification of instant purchuse... you have just eceived... scam

Beware... this may be the oldest trick in the book, but it was a new experience for me... people on this board have always been good at alerting me to scams... so, here's this...
I just received notice that I received a $222.22 payment from someone I never heard of for mickey mantle patch cards.
I wasn't selling anything and...
I have no idea what mickey mantle patch cards are anyways.

I logged on to my paypal account and there was no record of the payment.

The notification was perfectly realistic as far as I could tell.
I imagine there was some link I could have clicked that might have opened a world of trouble for me.
-G

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I got the same one the other day. The link, of course, asked for credit card numbers and all that stuff. I forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com with the slim hopes that they can actually track down and perhaps prosecute the perpetrator.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Yawie...
    ps... did you start the "card trading" club at your school yet?
  • Options
    When I get scam emails like this and others, I usually reply back with fake bank account numbers, passwords, and fake credit card numbers, as long as I can reply on a website without my email address being attached. I just laugh when I think about these losers trying to purchase something with my "fake" credit card and getting denied.
    You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I sometimes do the same thing, bill. Or I'll enter the most vile imperatives I can think of in the ID and password boxes on those scam pages.

We're still into cards, YDS, though it's kinda waned a bit since football season ended. The kids today just don't seem to be into baseball as much as my generation was when we were that age, and I'm not even that old (30). I also have one kid who's actually more into my old Becketts and auction catalogs then the cards themselves. It's kinda funny. Almost every morning, "Got any new magazines, Mr. Yawitz?" When we got back from our spring break a few weeks ago, he was in heaven: I had a Beckett, an SMR, the Superior catalog and something else for him.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage