Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question.....

Hi folks,

I have been away from the registry sets and coin collecting for the past 3 years, and I am starting to get back in to it. I have noticed that PCGS has been putting the State Flags on the State Quarters. Is this a standard they do now or do you have to pay extra for this.

Thanks
Ryan
Let's Go Mountaineers

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told some time ago when I called PCGS that it was only for dealers and that it was just for a limited time only, which to me didn't make any sense, because at the time I called, there were still 6 years left on the program. It may have changed since then.

I would either wait for another answer here, or just call them.

image Welcome to the boards!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan: Hi and welcome to the boards.

FLAG holders are a "premium" product - not obviously from the standpoint of the coin within the holder (where there is absolutely no difference in quality in my opinion), but from the standpoint of the PCGS holder itself. Basically, PCGS charges $10/set more for 5 pc. FLAG holder sets. Some dealers chose to pay the extra $10/set and some do not. Incidently, on good information, let me also state that PCGS does not cut it largest submitters ANY break on the cost of flag holders. It is a $10 bill extra per set - not $9/set or $7.50/set in massive quantities. PCGS is getting the $10/set premium because many collectors specifically request flag holders and their popularity is growing every day from what I can see. It does impact ones "bottom line" to be sure, however. For example, I offered every Registry set owner a FLAG set of 2004 Silver State quarters in PCGS-PR69DCAM holders for $79.95 plus $5 shipping (my shipping on those incidently should begin early next week)! When you do the math, you can see that $50/set grading fee for FLAG holders really "eats" into a $79.95/set asking price (especially when the coins also cost around $24/set from the mint) !! image

My best guess is nearly 2/3 - 3/4 of every 2004 slabbed state quarter will be in a FLAG holder this year and probably 90% of every state quarter I handle this year will be in a flag holder. Hope this helps.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Interesting..........I called them about this before and I was told
    all you had to do to get flag holders was send in 20 coins
    of the same date and mint........guess I got bad info.......
    the left hand seems not to know what the right is doing.......