Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Favorite Sports Quotes

"There is one word in America that says it all, and that one word is, 'You never know.'"

"You can't worry if it's cold; you can't worry if it's hot; you only worry if you get sick. Because then if you don't get well, you die."

Joaquin Andujar

Anyone else have a favorite or two?
Where have you gone Dave Vargha
CU turns its lonely eyes to you
What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
hey hey hey

Comments

• Options
    "The accusation that Pedro Guerrero could finance and underwrite a drug deal is ludicrous! He doesn't have the acumen or the ability to finance anything more complicated than lunch."
    --Pedro's attorney

"They can talk about me like they want to, but, um, I got my money ... so matter what you all say, Mike black, but Mike rich!"
    --Michael Irvin

"When I'm dead, and my activities on Earth have passed, I hope they bury me upside down so my critics can kiss my ass."
    --Bobby Knight

"Relax. We've been playing these guys for 80 years. They're never gonna beat us."
    -- Yogi Berra to Bernie Williams during the 1999 ALCS

"That's what they get for building a stadium on the ocean."
    -- Oil Can Boyd, after a game was fogged out in Cleveland

"Last time I checked, there weren't any W's and L's in my paycheck."
    -- Former Celtic Curtis Rowe

"The only time I want to talk to a woman when I'm naked is if I'm on top of her or she's on top of me."
    -- Former Tigers pitcher Jack Morris on female sportswriters

• Options
    "We played a good game - they played a good game, but they played a better game - so they won the game."

Former Brave Terry Haper
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    "Sure we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too"

Patrick Ewing during the NBA strike 5 years ago
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    MIke Tyson:
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.”

"I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity. A dark shadowy figure from the bowels of iniquity. I wish I could be Mike who gets an endorsement deal. But you can't make a lie and a truth go together. This country wasn't built on moral fiber. This country was built on rape, slavery, murder, degradation and affiliation with crime."

"I really dig Hannibal. Hannibal had real guts. He rode elephants into Cartilage."

"I can sell out Madison Square Garden masturbating."

"I just want to conquer people and their souls."

"I guess I'm gonna fade into Bolivian."

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    On Berra:
    "Most everybody knows me by my face."
    On malaprops:
    "I really didn't say everything I said."

On baseball:
    "Ninety per cent of the game is half mental."

On golf:
    "Ninety per cent of the putts that fall short don't go in."

On the pennant race:
    "It's not over 'til it's over."

On reoccurrences:
    "It's deja vu all over again."

On declining attendance:
    "If people don't want to come to the ball park, how are you gonna stop them?"

On Little League:
    "It keeps the kids out of the house."

On losing:
    "We made too many wrong mistakes."

On managing:
    "You observe a lot by watching."

On outfield shadows:
    "It gets late early out there."

On RBIs:
    "Every time I came to bat, there were men on base."

On seasoning:
    "Bill Dickey is learning me all his experience."

On umpires:
    "Anybody who can't hear the difference between a ball hitting wood & a ball hitting concrete must be blind."

On "Yogi Berra Night":
    "I want to thank all those who made this night necessary."

On shrines:
    "When you're a great enough person, you get to be a place."

On emulation:
    "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."

On sweaters:
    "The only colour I don't have is navy brown."

On tardiness:
    "Well, why did you wait so long to go now?"

On aftenoon naps:
    "I usually sleep two hours, from one o'clock to four."

On Bo Derek:
    "Well, I haven't seen him."

On Joe Altobelli:
    "Now you're an old Italian scallion."

On Steve McQueen:
    "He made that picture before he died."

On his Montclair home:
    "Wotta house. Nothin' but rooms."

On a popular restaurant:
    "Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded."

On pricey hotel breakfasts:
    "That's because they have to import those English muffins."

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    T'BOBS - Good Stuff! ....here are some more...jay

"Writers like to say thy've seen a lot of players come and go. I've seen a lot of writers come and go."
    - Nolan Ryan in his 25th season

"I found out that it's not good to talk about my troubles. 80% of the people who hear them don't care, and the other 20% are glad your having trouble"
    - Tommy Lasorda

"Hey, you are only young once. But you can be immature forever"
    - Larry Andersen

"Run it out, you piece of crud"
    - Carlton Fisk to Deion Sanders

"I don't read the stories about myself. I just look at the pictures
    - Shaq

• Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    Now, this is a thread. I love all your choices. I wish I had one to add, however I don't really know any. I do remember Mickey Rivers entertaining us all during his career with some doozies. Anyone have access to some of those?

PSAtanumbi
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    "When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story." -- Bob Gibson

"I didn't begin cheating until late in my career, when I needed something to help me survive. I didn't cheat when I won the twenty-five games in 1961. I don't want anybody to get any ideas and take my Cy Young Award away. And I didn't cheat in 1963 when I won twenty-four games. Well, maybe a little." -- Whitey Ford

"I'd rather him (Grover Alexander) pitch a crucial game for me drunk, then anyone I've ever known sober. He was that good." -- Rogers Hornsby

"I've cheated, or someone on my team has cheated, in almost every single game I've been in." -- Rogers Hornsby

"I've posed with some real major leaguers, not bush leaguers like he (Roger Maris) is. He couldn't carry my bat. He didn't hit in two years what I hit in one." in Spring Training -- Rogers Hornsby

"One time he (Cool Papa Bell) hit a line drive right past my ear. I turned around and saw the ball hit his ass sliding into second." -- Satchell Paige

"They used to say, 'If we find a good black player, we'll sign him.' They was lying." -- Cool Papa Bell

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    For the gatekeeper himself --

My goals this season are to hit .300, score 100 runs, and stay injury-prone. -- Mickey Rivers

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Superb thread! Here's one quote I use quite often... it was said by former portly BoSox GM Lou Gorman on the certainties of the day:

"The sun will rise, the sun will set, and I'll have lunch."
  • Options
    "Right in the lumber yard." Ty Webb

"If I saw myself in clothes like those I'd have to kick my own a$$." Happy Gilmore

Do these count? image
    PSA Graded Sets:
    1969 Topps Basketball: 25/99 25.25%
    1970 Topps Basketball: 81/175 46.29%
    1998 SA-GE Red Autographs 8/50 16%

Looking for PSA graded Topps Baseball card #69 from all years 52 to 04!

Always looking for PSA 5-8 of these!
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I will have to go on memory with Mickey -
    "It was so hot in Texas the dogs were chasing the cats and they were both walking."
    Reggie Jackson - "My IQ's 175." Mickey Rivers - "Out of what, buck, 1000?."
    Reggie Jackson - "Why I am bothering to argue with somebody who cannot read or write." Mickey Rivers - "You ought to stop reading and writing and start hitting."

Here are a couple of dialogues:
    Stewardess: "Mr. Ali, please fasten your seat belt."
    Ali."Superman don't need no seat belt."
    Stewardess: "Superman don't need no airplane, either."

Here is one of my favourites,
    Dick Williams being interviewed after walking Bake McBride intentionally to get to Mike Schmidt - who than hit a game winning single.
    Williams."I don't care if Jesus Christ was coming up, I was going to walk McBride."
    Reporter: "What if Babe Ruth was coming up?"
    Williams: After a pause, "I don't know about Babe Ruth."

"It's really great being Magic Johnson the basketball player for eight months and than just plain Earvin for the other three."
    -Magic Johnson

"Winfield robbed Armas of at least a homerun."
    -Announcer Bill White

"He slides into secondbase with a stand-up double."
    Jerry Coleman announcer

• Options
    Quotes By Lou Gehrig

“We were mighty short on infielders in those days."

"Lets face it. I'm not a headline guy. I always knew that as long as I was following Babe to the plate I could have gone up there and stood on my head. No one would have noticed the difference. When the Babe was through swinging, whether he hit one or fanned, nobody paid any attention to the next hitter. They all were talking about what the Babe had done."

"I might have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for."

Quotes About Lou Gehrig

"I would not have traded two minutes of the joy and the grief with that man for two decades of anything with another."
    ...Lou Gehrig's wife, Eleanor

“Gehrig had one advantage over me. He was a better ballplayer."
    ...baseball player Gil Hodges

"He was a symbol of indestructibility – a Gibraltar in cleats."
    ...columnist Jim Murray

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    Vanderbilt Commodore football announcer,

"He's at the 30, the 40, the 50, the 40, look at that sumbit-ch go."
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    I've always liked...

"F@!k you, Jo Boo, I do myself"
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    "I could ask the Phillies to keep me on to add to my statistics, but my love for the game won't let me do that. "

"They read their sports pages, know their statistics and either root like hell or boo our butts off. I love it. Give me vocal fans, pro or con, over the tourist types who show up in Houston or Montreal and just sit there. "

From my namesake, of course.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Here are 3 more that I always liked...jay

Don Drysdale talking about throwing at a batter. He said something to the effect.
    "I would always throw at him twice, so he knows the 1st one wasn't a mistake"

From the book Sandy Koufax "a lefty's legacy"
    "Trying to hit Koufax was like, trying to drink coffee with a fork" - Willie Stargell

"New Guinea, I'd thought I'd see a lot of Italians there"
    Phil Rizzuto's Hall Of Fame induction speech on being in the Navy in WW II
  • Options
    "Cool Papa Bell was so fast he could get out of bed, turn out the lights across the room and be back in bed under the covers before the lights went out." - Josh Gibson
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    "Once he hit a line drive right past my ear. I turned around and saw the ball hit his ass sliding into second." - Satchel Paige
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Dizzy Dean:

Anybody who's ever had the privilege of seeing me play knows that I am the greatest pitcher in the world.

I ain't what I used to be, but who the hell is?

It puzzles me how they know what corners are good for filling stations. Just how did they know gas and oil was under there?

Let the teachers teach English and I will teach baseball. There is a lot of people in the United States who say isn't, and they ain't eating.

Son, what kind of pitch would you like to miss?

Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.

The good Lord was good to me. He gave me a strong body, a good right arm, and a weak mind.
  • Options
    Another more recent Yogi-ism ... Sitting in the Yankee Stadium stands last year on the day they honor all the former Yankees who passed on in the previous year by putting their names on the scoreboard, Yogi turned to Whitey Ford and said, "Boy I sure hope I never see MY name up there."
  • Options
    From the great Satchell Paige:

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter."

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move."

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

"I never had a job. I always played baseball."

"Mother always told me, if you tell a lie, always rehearse it. If it don't sound good to you, it won't sound good to no one else."

and my two favorite...

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I would toss one that ain’t never been seen by this generation."

"My pitching philosophy is simple; you gotta keep the ball off the fat part of the bat."
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Tug McGraw, asked whether he preferred grass or Astroturf
    ..........."I dunno. I never smoked any Astroturf."

Darrel Chaney on how management could keep the Braves on their toes
    ............"Raise the urinals."

Mike Greenwell
    "I'm a 4-wheel-drive pickup type of guy...... So is my wife."

Mickey Rivers, on his relationship with George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin
    "Me and George and Billy are two of a kind."

Eddie Eichorn, White Sox owner
    "I told [GM] Roland Hemond to go out and get me a big name pitcher. He said, 'Terwilliger's got 12 letters. Is that a big enough name for you ?'"

Jerry Rice
    "I feel like I'm the best, but you're not going to get me to say that."

Jason Kidd
    "We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."

Floyd Patterson
    "Fear was absolutely necessary. Without it, I would have been scared to death."

Pat Glenn - Weightlifting commentator
    "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria....I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing."

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Tommy Lasorda in 1976 after Dave Kingman hit 3 HR in a game to beat the Dodgers:

What's my opinion of Kingman's performance!? What the BLEEP do you think is my opinion of it? I think it was BLEEPING BLEEP. Put that in, I don't BLEEP. Opinion of his performance!!? BLEEP, he beat us with three BLEEPING home runs! What the BLEEP do you mean, "What is my opinion of his performance?" How could you ask me a question like that, "What is my opinion of his performance?" BLEEP, he hit three home runs! BLEEP. I'm BLEEPING pissed off to lose that BLEEPING game. And you ask me my opinion of his performance! BLEEP. That's a tough question to ask me, isn't it? "What is my opinion of his performance?"

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Stengelese

What Casey said about being given the greatest living manager award. "I want to thank all my players for giving me the honor of being what I
    was."

"The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those
    who are still undecided."

On his dismissal as Yankee Mgr.- "I'll never make the mistake of turning 70 again"

"I made my mind up but I made it up both ways."

"Okay everybody line up alphabetically according to your height!!"

"There comes a time in every man's life, and Ive had plenty of them."
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    When Mike Schmidt was asked about his faith he said...........

To those who understand, no explanation is needed.

To those who do not understand,
    no explanation would suffice.
  • Options
    Nick -- I never tire of hearing the recording of Lasorda's rant. That's some funny stuff.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    "If'n Paul had told me he was gonna pitch a no-hitter, I'd of throwed one too."
    -Dizzy Dean on September 21, 1934, after his brother Paul had no-hit the Dodgers in the second game of a doubleheader. Dizzy had tossed a three-hit shutout in the first game.

"it took you five years to get this far- and now you want to spoil everything."
    -Yankees third base coach Art Fletcher, to poor-hitting pitcher Lefty Gomez. Gomez had reached third base and asked Fletcher if he should try to steal home.

"I found that it's not good to talk about my problems. Eighty percent of the people who hear them don't care and the other 20 percent are glad [I'm] having trouble.
    - Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    excerpt from the movie "Raging Bull": Jake Lamotta: "I hear Tony Janiro is a good lucking guy, they tell me the kid is pretty, I don't know whether I'll fight him or ---- him."
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    Yogi Berra quote given by his son:

My dad ordered a pizza, the pizza guy asked my dad if he would like that sliced in 4 or 8 pieces. My dad say's, "You better make it four, I don't think I can eat Eight."

Yogi Berra
  • Options
    Sandy Koufax on Astroturf:

"I know one thing. I was one of those guys who pitched without a cup. I wouldn't do it on this stuff."

Jimmy Piersall was once ejected from a game by an umpire with the same last name as an assassinated president . "They shot the wrong McKinley", he quipped.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    There are so many.

"Playing middle linebacker is like walking through a tiger cage wearing a pork chop suit."

In one of the Yanks/Dodgers WS in the 70s, one Yankee (Munson, I think), in response to a question about whether they could beat the Dodgers, said,"I think we'll win if we can just keep them from hugging each other too much."

My signature line for a while was something out of a Harry S Truman biography:
    Once when I was a young boy lying on a riverbank with a friend, he asked me what I'd like to be when I grew up. I said I wanted to be a real major league baseball player like Honus Wagner. He said he wanted to be President of the United States. In the end, neither of us got our wish.

My favorite may be either apocryphal or sarcastic, but its just pure comedy to me. Rickey Henderson, on seeing a player taking fielding practice with a batting helmet on, said something like,"What's that guy doing out there with a helmet on?" The player was John Olerud, who by that point had been Rickey's teammate on the Mets AND the Mariners.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    It is apocryphal. Henderson allegedly told Olerud, while a teammate of his in Seattle, "You know, I played with a guy on the Mets who wore a batting helmet in the field just like you do." (They were also teammates in New York. Both Henderson and Olerud have confirmed that it is false. They both thought it was pretty funny though.
  • Options
    Speaking of classic tirades, this always brings me to tears of laughter ...

(edited to add - caution, profanity-laced tirade coming up ...)

The one and only Lee Elia
  • Options
    And one personal anecdote ... during a halftime pep talk during a 0-0 tie, from one of my old football coaches at MIT:

"If we can just cut down on our mistakes and score more points than the other team in the 2nd half, we've got a really good chance at pulling this one out."
  • Options
    "I am not going to make a skeptical out of my boxing career. I am doing this for me and me alone"

-Tanya Harding

Ahhh, being home-schooled in a double wide.....What a hottie and she is single!!!!!!

And a few from Mickey Rivers:

"What was the name of that dog on Rin Tin Tin?'"

"Pitching is 80% of the game and the other half is hitting and fielding"

"I might have to commute. You know, left field, DH, wherever."

"I felt alone out there, like I was on a desert island. I felt like Gilligan."
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    "I want his heart! I want to eat his children! Praise be to Allah!"

- Mike Tyson
  • Options
    nice thread, i love the mickey rivers quotes. those yankee teams had alot of characters.

nettles on sparky lyle: "from cy young to sayonara"
  • Options
    Bobby Valentine on being in the NLCS compared to Bobby Cox who is there every year.

"That's very impressive for Bobby and someday when I grow up I hope to be just like him"
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    I have a few for sale if any pro athletes out there need some:

"I never knew my dad. Sadly, he died two years before I was born."

"It's terrible what happened in Yahtzee, Germany."

On cocaine use - "Look. I only inhaled the stuff. I never smoked it."

"I dread home games because I live in an apartment."

"It's not pitcher that hit people, it's the baseballs."

"If we win four games in the series, I like our chances."

"I'd rather be the worst fifth man in basketball than the best sixth man."

"Break the plane at the goal line. Break the plane at the goal line. I ain't never seen one single damn plane at the goal line."

"If Bonds is so good, why isn't he in the Hall of Fame?"

"...... was so stupid, we needed to give him a roadmap before he ran the bases."

"Dont shoot the messenger...unless he gives you a mail bomb."

"All this drug stuff is overblown."

"I used to just hate when they pitched me outside, but I probably should have kept my mouth shut about it in the press."

"Never shower next to your center if he giggles every time you take a snap."

"That was barely a knockout."

Contact me about purchasing.

Scumbi
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of classic tirades, this always brings me to tears of laughter ...

(edited to add - caution, profanity-laced tirade coming up ...)

The one and only Lee Elia >>

That was awesome!
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    One of my fav's is from legendary Michigan football announcer, Bob Ufer,
    who called UofM games from 1945 to 1981. He was a true "homer" but he
    called games with a passion that was unmatched. He died in '81.
    When Anthony Carter caught a 45-yard touchdown pass from John Wangler
    with no time left to beat Indiana in 1979, Ufer nearly blew a gasket. An excerpt
    of his call on WJR:

"Under center is Wangler at the 45. . . . He goes back, he's looking for a receiver,
    he throws downfield to Carter, Carter has it . . . AGGHHHHH! Carter scores! . . .
    Ufer is going out of his mind! I have never seen anything like this! . . . Bo
    Schembechler is looking up at Fielding Yost in football's Valhalla, and Bo
    Schembechler says, "Thank you, Fielding Yost! Thank you, Fielding Yost,
    for that one!" . . . Carter went streaking down there like a penguin with
    a hot herring in his cummerbund! . . . Carter had visions of sugarplums,
    and he had visions of roses, because Carter's never been to Pasadena! . . .
    They aren't even going to try the extra point! Who cares? Who gives a damn?!?
    I've never been so happy in all my cotton-pickin' days!"

Ali and Cosell had some classic exchanges. Here's one of my fav's:

Muhammad Ali: Man, without me, you'd just be a mouth and a microphone.
    Howard Cosell: And without me, you'd just be a mouth.

And finally, one from Ty Cobb regarding Walter Johnson:

"The first time I faced him I watched him take that easy windup and then
    something went past me that made me flinch. The thing just hissed with
    danger. We couldn't touch him....every one of us knew we'd met the most
    powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park."
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Wrote this one down from Ken Burns' "Baseball" series.
    Not sure it's 100% accurate, but it's very close.
    Gave me the chills when I first heard it...

Lou Gehrig in a note to his wife:

"The road may come to an end here.
    Seems like my back is to the wall,
    but there usually comes a way out.
    Where & what I know not, but who can tell
    that it might lead on to greater things."

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Great thread!!! Keep it coming!!!

Yogi Berra, with words to live by: "When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

Don Drysdale, on batters digging in: "Yeah, dig yourself a nice one, you'll be lying in it."

Big D, again, calling a fly ball to center from a batter going 0 for 17: "And if this one comes down, he'll be 0 for 18."

And, of course, the Bambino facing Walter Johnson on a darkening field, taking a called third strike: "I didn't see it either, but that one sounded outside."
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Well....it's a little more of a foul worded but I'll give you the G-Rated quote from Pete Rose latest book he says about Koufax.

"That guy could throw a baseball through a car wash without it getting wet".
  • Options
    "The boy's (Hack Wilson) got talent and desire, but he ain't got no neck." -- Connie Mack

"I'm probably the only guy who worked for (Casey) Stengel before and after he was a genius." -- Warren Spahn

"(Bruce) Benedict may not be hurt as much as he really is." -- Jerry Coleman

"And Kansas is at Chicago tonight or is it Chicago at Kansas City? Well, no matter as Kansas leads in the eighth four-to-four." -- Jerry Coleman

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    TBOB'S - I met Jerry Coleman at a CBS party (along w/ Johnny Bench) at the Babe Ruth museum in Baltimore a few hours before the All Star game. I talked w/ Jerry for awhile and he always had a drink in his hands. he seemed to be loaded while broadcasting alot too! image
    A very nice & personable guy. While talking to Johnny, he kinda grunted at me...jay
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Mickey Mantle circa 1980 when asked how much he would be making if playing today...."I'm not sure, but I think I would be talking to George about being a partner."
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    He said this in 1973 after leading a group to buy a baseball team for a depressed price of $10 million?

"I look forward to coming to town just to see the games ... We plan absentee ownership. We're not going to pretend to be something we aren't. I'll stick to building ships"
  • Options
    i could use a Howard Cosell quote, but i might get banned.

one of the funniest i've ever heard was when i was watching a regional Fox Sports college football game. they were using 3rd or 4th rate announcers, and one of em remarked "he shucked him like an ear of corn!" when some Cornhusker juked a defender. i almost died laughing