Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Type set starter

I'm starting a Dansco album U.S. type set..i already have an AU-BU 20th century set done so that knocks down a few coins.......i'm going to try to set a $120/per coin limit.....should i buy the highest grade i can find or keys?..and what coin/series should i begin with?.
Thanx

Comments

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save some and buy problem free low grade flowing hair and draped bust coins first! K
  • Options
    I would go more for common dates, get the most for your money... pick sharp strikes over higher grade weak strikes... make luster and eye appeal a big deal... technical grade means squat if it looks like someone used it for Toilet Paper... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    I would probably agree with Nic.

If you want to complete the set, it may be better to get the hardest (read most expensive) coins first before they go up even more in price with the hot market and every new collector starts to work on the older coins and type sets.

That said, with a limit of $120, you need to decide what you want your type set to look like. Since you have the 20th century in AU-BU, it sounds that you prefer higher grade to lower grade so you should probably choose high grade, attractive, common-dates over low-end keys. This would give your collection the most cohesion. Also with type sets, many collectors want to see what the types look like, so again you might want to stick to higher-grade examples, when you have a choice. imho

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file