Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What should I do

I purchased the attached coin from a board member, yes a board member. I noted in the purchase that it was tone and problem free 2001 S Silver PR69DCAM (paid $29.00) 50C Kennedy. Received first which had a spot to the right of Kennedy's head, I think it was carbon spotting.

I contacted the individual noting that I purchased the coin tone/spot and error free. Well this is the coin I received in return.

Problem Free Half

Picture is not greatest but there is a cavern just under the Y of Liberty, there is a contact mark on the cheek and ear of Kennedy (I do not know how this graded PR69DCAM). I am out shipping cost twice and waited almost a month for the error/tone/spot free coin I purchased. What should I do. Send it back noting that the agreement was an error free coin again and being promised an error free coin or keep the one I have and not purchase from individual again since he does not know what an error free coin is. I emphasize that I did not pay for a PGCS PR70 but then again I did not pay this much for a coin with divits in it either.
Jim Chandler

Comments

• Options
    melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    The customer is always right.

You must be happy or the deal is not do

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    Just return it for a refund,you have to pay shipping both ways if you want to look
    COLLECTOR AND DEALER FOR 45 YEARS LIKES MINT STATE MERCS AND WALKERS I HELP BUILD REGISTRY SETS.
  • Options
    This is a second coin to replace the first, this will be the third shipping charge. It will go out in the mail tomorrow for a refund since the more I look at it the more upset I become. This coin is in worse shape than the first, I have the feeling that I was sent this coin not by mistake, since after reading the message sent to me

"I apologize for not catching this problem. Please return it & I will either refund your money or send a replacement, your choice. We have a lot of these types of coins in stock & try pick out problem coins, but sometimes we do make mistakes."

it appears that the problem coins are picked out and shipped to individuals.
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    someone correct me if I'm wrong but PCGS doesn't holder "problem" coins.

No offense but if you are going to be that picky over a generic modern coin then you might want to find somewhere to buy them in person where you can inspect them to insure that you are happy.
  • Options
    I am sorry goose, but I do not expect to receive a coin with the markings on it That I have received, not once but twice. You are right PCGS "does not" holder problem coins but they also do not / should not grade coins like the two I have received as PCGS PR69DCAMS. The last one - current one I have has what appears to be coin contact marking from the cheek below the eye to the chin, the ear and neck. These detraction marks are not 69 maybe 66 or possible 67. I do not know but I do not expect a 69 to have these visual marks without the use of a 10x or greater lens. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is the whole purpose of purchasing a graded coin - so you can do it sight unseen.

Let me know goose, if you wish I will send it to you for you to review before I return it and you tell me if I am being too picky.
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Correct me if I am wrong, but that is the whole purpose of purchasing a graded coin - so you can do it sight unseen. >>

Jim, I do not think it's a good idea to purchase a coin (PCGS certified or otherwise) sight-unseen, if at all avoidable. Besides the imperfect nature of and subjectivity in grading, which is a given, there are many coins that most would agree are accurately graded, but, which a given buyer might not like anyway, for various reasons.

Sure, some buyers are looking for generic coins and they don't necessarily care what the coins look like, but for those who do, sight-unseen purchasing is usually not the way to go. Many sellers offer approval service to those who can provide suitable references - that is one option you might consider in the future.
  • Options
    I guess your right coinguy, I am living in the old days when someone notes "free from defects, toning and/or spotting" and the coin is a PR69DCAM I should be ready to receive a coin with marks on the coin that detract from its natural condition. I just want you to know that the marks on the coin were not there when it was received from the mint in a set or the individual would have returned it to the Mint for replacement. The marks were a result of coins being stacked or clashing together during the removal from the mint packaging. But since these marks were not disclosed I should expect them to be present upon receipt. I just do not see how the coin was graded as a PR69, but then again I am not a grader just a collector that believes what he is told before buying.
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not difficult to remove coins from proof sets without damaging them or to store
    them without developing problems. In fact coins are usually safer when they leave
    proof set packaging since corrosion becomes less likely. There will be a coin damaged
    on rare occasion by some people who remove coins, but most marking is usually on
    the coin when it leaves the mint.

Send the coin back and ask for a refund. Unless the seller provides a good reason or
    return postage then it might be wise to avoid him in the future. Just remember his
    obligation is to satisfy the customer or provide a refund. If he accomplishes this then
    he's done his job.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    JimC
    because the seller does not mention the mark or marks does not necessarily mean that he/she is trying to pass these coins off on you. For all we know this seller may have multiples of this coin and is just grabbing one randomly and shipping it out to you.

I have in the past listed some PCGS modern type stuff on ebay such as '96W dimes and I certainly don't spend any time looking at them at all to point out any problems prior to listing them. I figure that the pcgs grade should be sufficient info on an uncirc. coin.

Have you asked the seller to inspect the coin for problems that you noted prior to shipping? I'd consider asking for that if you were wanting an exchange. 99.9999999 percent of the members on here are fantastic to deal with.
  • Options
    I am sorry goose I may not have explained myself and have caused you to come to the conclusion that you have.

1. I purchased the PR69DCAM (problem free/error free/tone free coin) and paid for it over a month ago.

2. I received this coin 3 weeks ago, immediatly upon receipt informed the seller of the problem. He said send it back and said he was sorry, would ensure I receive what I paid for.

3. Yesterday I received this subpar coin which is in my view more a problem from the first since the first had a large size carbon spot to the rear center of Kennedy's head.

I am just depressed that I have spent monies for the coin I did not receive, shipping costs twice and now a third to return this coin and a month later I have no coin and out the cost to ship a coin three times. I am sorry but this was the first time this happened to me but I know it definitely will not be the last since you cannot accept some one's word and as you stated I should not be purchasing from mail unless I want to get these types of coins. If the coin was like received from the mint I would not be depressed but it had come into contact prior to being slabbed.
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    The next step Jim, is to send it to PCGS. Call customer service and explain what's going on and they'll

give you instructions as to what to do. At some point you might just surrender as you could potentially

end up having paid enough postage to own the coin and end up with nothing!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Send the coin back and ask for your money back. Don't ask for a replacement coin again.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I am trying to take a neutral look at this. The coin in question is not a high value coin, but it is in a 69 holder. The seller is not going to check out this coin in great detail before sending it out, nor in my opinion should he. This is basically a commodity coin. It is neither rare nor expensive.

If your standards are such that two PCGS 69s do not meet your purchase criteria, the I agree with coinguy1 that you should most likely steer clear of sight unseen purchases. This is the price of not seeing a coin in person first.

I think the seller has been most accomodating. Sometimes the cost of having a good eye is extra postage, but remember that you did not incur any travel costs, food, lodging or parking related to buying this coin. You have to look at this in the context of the big picture.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    not to stir waters, but im with John on this one.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill