Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Rims Filed" why is this done and how is it detected?

I've seen this term applied to some coins recently (a few in the upcoming Stacks auctions) and beyong the obvious meaning, WHY would someone file rims......what does this hide or do?
Craig
If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes a loop is soldered onto the rim for jewelery. When the loop is removed they will file the rim to hide the fact the piece was a jewelery piece. There could be other reasons, but this is the one in which I am aware.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose that rim filing could also be performed to eliminate rim nicks or more severe rim dings.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    What Stuart said.
    To try to hide a rim nick or rim nicks. I bought a couple of coins that had the rims filed. I didn't notice it until I got the coins home. Now I always check all 3 sides of the coin. Obverse, Reverse, and Rim or edge. I always take a lighted loupe with me whenever I go anywhere there might be coins just in case the lighting is bad. If I even think that a coin has had the rim filed, I do not buy it unless the price has the filing taken into consideration.

Robert
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    From coinsite.com:

"Reeded edges were incorporated into precious metal coins to prevent filing, that is removing a small amount of metal off a coin that cumulatively would be sold. Money used to be defined as precious metal in coin form. ... By examining the reeded edge a prospective receiver of the coin could ascertain that a coin hadn't been filed. This saved the trouble of weighing it."

Edited to add: Depending upon the extent/severity of the filing, it might be very easy or quite difficult to detect. It often appears as a different finish (such as extra shiny) and/or texture on the coin's rim.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Other reasons for filing rims,
    :

The Mint used to sometimes file the wire rims off of early proof coins before mailing them out. Collectors would also tend to ile off wire rims on circulation coins that they had.

If the coin had a rim cud many 19th century collectors would also file those down flat as well.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    that pretty much covers it w/ 1 more addition. there are instances where the filing of the rim was incidnetal, not intentional. for example, a coin that was carelessly slid across a rough surface might well show scrapes of the rim, while the lower relief detail was protected & not scraped.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file