Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dark Copper imaging HELP!!!!!!!!

Any tips on taking pictures of dark old copper???????

This was the best I could do and I think it sucks.

Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    like this one? The way I figure dark copper is: Lots of light at a lowish angle from one direction. You've got to maximize the light/shadow difference to see anything.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    That's a great shot how many lights. IS the coin really that color or is it darker? Plus the coin I have is in a slab which makes it toughter.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i could photoshop em the show the detail better.
    but i know it may not show accurate color.

everyone has photoshop dont they?
    just use brightness/contrast to adjust the image.
    also the color adjustment helps to correct what you think the image should look like.

• Options
    I don't remember how many lights, but it may be a couple next to each other. Just keep it coming from one direction only. If it's slabbed may need to be even brighter. Here's another that's slabbed.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Make sure you have lots of light, and what really works for me it to fiddle with the exposure setting on my camera, usually about + 1.0 works for me on dark copper.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    If you can't do it with lighting, do it in your image editing software:

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice coin Barry
  • Options
    Oops nice coin Cosmicdebris
  • Options
    Next attempt. This image is to be printed on photo paper and to be as acurate as possible for a client. This is one tought coin to get it as dark as it really is and see any detail.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I can only take credit for the image doctoring, not the coin. Oops, I mean image curating image
  • Options
    Next image:

• Options
    Barry now get me that detail without washing out the color. The coin is as dark as my last image.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Pretty good! A little photoshop help also! Barry, Try to use a dark backgroud and angle the coin slightly. Maybe this will help.

Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Nice coin ConstellatioCollector. Someone gave me a C-4 convention sale book last week that has a lot of that era stuff.
  • Options
    Bill,
    I'm at a disadvantage, not having the real coin to see what it looks like. Here's two more attempts:

• Options
    I think I got it

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Looks pretty good. Hard to keep it looking like real life and get any detail or contrast . Oh, you asked earlier whether my half cent was that dark or darker. i would say it's a little darker than the pic. Very dark brown, almost black.
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    if i remember, I used sunlight, macro setting with a slow shutter.....

Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file