Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New collector needs some help with coin ID...

I am trying to ID these two coins and Im having a tough time finding any info or photos to identify them

The reverse of the copper (?) (the first 2 pics) coin seems to be similar to my other old austrian coins, but I cant find it in any listings for Austrian coinage yet.
Its very thin and approx. 5/8 inch in diameter...

The Silver one I just purchased and havent received it yet, but the seller didnt have a lot of info on it.

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
william

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Welcome to the forum williamdtipton - I can't help with the answer to your question but stick around and I'm sure one of the forum experts will ID them for you.
    Shep
  • Options
    The first one sure looks like an Austrian copper coin with a 1740 date. The second one-- 1609 Poland, maybe?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first certainly appears to be Austrian- it has a portrait of Charles VI. I'm afraid I can't do much better than that, without some prolonged head-scratching.

I did, however, score a hit on your 1600 "silver" coin, thanks to the legend MONETA NOVA TVGIENSIS ("new coin of Zug"?), which indicates it to be from the canton of Zug in Switzerland. It is actually struck in billon (an alloy of copper and silver), and it appears to be a 3-kreuzer piece. (That is a "3" on the eagle's breast, right?) The type was struck from 1597-1608 (excluding 1607). All the listed coins of this type (KM#17) are valued at $8.00 VG / $15.00 F / $25.00 VF / $50.00 XF, except the 1605, which is a better date. Since the Krause coverage only begins at 1601, your 1600 and the coins from the 1590's are not listed (though Krause makes mention of them), but the price should be similar to the others. The soft, somewhat crude strike (typical of hand-hammered coinage of the time) makes it tough to grade, but I see nothing wrong with calling it Fine at least, maybe a low-end Very Fine. It's probably a $15-30 coin, I'd say. You can label it:
      Switzerland (Zug): 3 kreuzer, 1600. F-VF, billon. KM17.
    Edited to add: note that prices I quoted are from the First Edition catalog (which, having been compiled in 1995, is almost a decade old).

Thanks for the challenge, and welcome to the boards. image

Oh- one other little addendum: though I am not certain, I believe the denomination kreuzer is pronounced something like "KROIT-ser", not like "cruiser". image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome to the boards, Williamdtipton!!

BTW, I have heard that in the Austrian dialect, kreuzer is pronounced more like "krite-zer" (long 'i'). Can any of y'all "over there" confirm that?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I can't add any value to this thread, but I welcome you to the boards!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT for our new member, since he doesn't have PM or email showing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.