Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Information on coin/medal needed please.

Hi all, I have been searching for infomation on a coin/medal given to me by my late grandmother about 18yrs ago and am now trying to find out if its worth hanging onto.

I know a bit of the history in that it is commemorating the peace in Westphalia, ending the 30yrs war.

I have a scans of the item plus a letter from the Heberden coin room at the University of Oxford.
http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//463965-Letter.jpg

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards Steve..

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    A big welcome to the forum crush - How about posting a picture of the coin/medal in question.
    Shep
  • Options

<< <i>A big welcome to the forum crush - How about posting a picture of the coin/medal in question.
    Shep >>

I put a link as I could'nt find any info on what size restriction for attachments were.

Tha link again - http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//463965-Letter.jpg

Steve..
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Medal in question

Welcome to the forum, can't help in identity but upload size is max 50kimage
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can put in links though. It is nice to warn people if it is a large image however image

Linkage

Askari, or some of the other knowledgable people here can possibly help you out with the medal. If nothing else, if it comes from your grandmother, the sentimental value would make me lean towards keeping it.

Cathy

• Options
    imageimage

Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome, Crush!!image Sorry for the tardy response, but I've had little spare time for the boards recently.

Your medal looks like it dates from that period and is in superb condition for a 17th century medal. The style of lettering on the obverse is unusual. I'm no expert on 18th century medals, but I have to say I've not seen its like before. Maybe Laurent would since he collects more medals from that period.

The cornucopia are a style common in German medals in the 18th century through the early 20th century.

That's about all I can really add.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    The lettering on the obverse contains a chronogram...take the larger letters (Roman Numerals) and they can be arranged into the date located on the reverse.
  • Options
    Neat! I supposed they had some meaning, but I hadn't noticed that.
    Askari

• Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I get the feeling that I should hold onto the medal now.
    And Stork, you're right I should keep it as a reminder of my grandmother.
    However I would be really excited if it turned out to be something unusual and/or special.
    I think I'll take it back to the Heberden coin room and see if they can give me more information now,
    it was quite a few years since my last visit there.

Steve..
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    "Neat! I supposed they had some meaning, but I hadn't noticed that."

Yeah, it was considered a novelty to try and arrange the Numerals correctly before looking on the opposite side of the medal/coin....sort of like an early "Cracker Jack" prize of sorts...heh heh
  • Options
    Family memories always weigh more on the scale than any "market value" an item may have. image I encourage you to talk to your family members who might know something about the history of the heirloom, collect it and write it down, and keep it together to pass along to your kids. It's always special to be able to "touch" a piece of the past behind your heritage. Unlike any other coin or medal you may ever own, for this one you know at least a little of the tales it could tell you, could it but only speak. image
    Askari