Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I am getting close

Just received a card back from PSA today that puts me 3 cards away from finishing my 1934 batter up set. I have really enjoyed making this set and I am very proud of it. If anyone has some of these in their collection and are willing to part with some, please let me know. I know PC32, you have one that I need. I hope someday that it will be mine.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards,
Shane
Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    shane...congrats...I understand were your're coming from. The sets that have the most meaning for me are the ones I had to work hardest to put together.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    SHANE - Thats a helluva achievment! Great Job!
    Whats next, a nice easy set like the Old Judge N172? image ...jay
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Shane-
    how about posting a few pics of your favorites from this set? Any other anecdotal info you might have would be interesting too. Did you start with a large raw lot, grade everything yourself, cards that were tougher than you thought they'd be, things to look out for, etc...

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Shane,

Glad to see you are close.... Will you post scans when complete I would be curious to seesome of the higher numbers these are really nice cards. Thanks for turning me on to this set... However Now I will have the dilemna of keeping or selling these . Oh well better to have loved and lost etc etc... by the way submission # 555617 Zip code 08520 will be flying 2nd day Fed Ex tommorow morning ... I will email you the list.... Jeff

I will also email some more raw cards I am chasing down....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I will be glad to post scans up when I finish it. As for what is next? I am thinking about taking on the task of a 1960 set or the 1948 Leaf. I want it to be easier than what I have experienced in the past.
    Jeff- Keep it at least for another year or two. It will be worth the wait.

As far as some secrets about the set.
    The first series of the set consists of #1-80. Cards 41-80 are extremely easy to find, especially in higher PSA (6-8) grade.
    Cards 1-40 are more difficult than the others mentioned above. I really don't know why this is the case other than the normal thought of first cards of the set are usually damaged the worst.

The second series is a bear (#81-192) . The cards are a tad smaller than the first series. There are many cards in the higher series that the population is 4 or 5 total per card. I have been lucky that not many were trying to make the set when I first started. So I got a real big jump on the set before it started to take off. Now there seems to be five hard hitters on this set (Luchious, Badovick, Burmon, and PC32) that keeps everyone honest. I have had some help with the set from some dealers, but mostly I built this set from raw submissions and then upgraded those that came my way.

My theory in building a prewar set is to buy raw, submit yourself and upgrade at your own pace. Financially that has been the best move for me.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Shane-
    Thanks for the info, hope to see a few scans soon.
    As far as your next set, if you're considering the '48 Leaf set know that it will probably not be any easier than the batter ups, and will be a whole lot more expensive. It would probably be a lot more economical buying a complete set from Mastro or RE for 40K+ than putting it together card by card- with 1 complete set on the registry it is evident that this is not an easy set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Griffins-
    Good to hear from you. I know that it won't be an easier set, but it is one that I would love to begin. I was thinking about doing a 60's set just to have more activity than once a month.

Later.