Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Coming Soon? Company That Grades Graded Cards?

How long before somebody starts up a professional card grading company that grades graded cards -- PSA, GAI, SGC, etc. They make a true tamper PROOF holder slightly larger than the standard PSA/GAI/SGC holder, grade the slabbed card without removing it from its slab, then encase the slab in their own tamper PROOF slab? Just think ... Standard size holder, standard appearance, and no concerns about anybody cracking it.

Thoughts?

Scott

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Scott.

GAI has a service for double-checking graded cards similar to the one that you are suggesting. (NO additional holder though.) If you send an already encapsulated card to GAI, GAI will provide their assessment and attach a sticker on the back of the original hodler with its assessment. I believe it is called their exemplar service.

Koby
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Scott;

Interesting new product! Are you looking for seed money?

BTW, what happens if this graded card grader rejects the slabbed card? Do they crack it out of the original slab to prevent one from passing a lemon onto an unsuspecting stooge?
  • Options

<< <i>Scott;

Interesting new product! Are you looking for seed money?

BTW, what happens if this graded card grader rejects the slabbed card? Do they crack it out of the original slab to prevent one from passing a lemon onto an unsuspecting stooge? >>

Seed money? LOL! Well, anything's possible!

On card rejection -- My initial thought would be to have it as an option for the submitter. Either choose to have it graded as is and slabbed as is -- Or non-slabbed if rejected due to its original mis-grading.

Scott
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    If the card/slab were rejected, there would have to be some assurance that it wouldn't get back into the market as a legit card. Otherwise, where would the value and protection of the service be?

I think it should be encapsulated regardless of what the owner wants with either a thumbs up on the case or big X -- something that would in effect remove a lemon from the market.
  • Options

<< <i>If the card/slab were rejected, there would have to be some assurance that it wouldn't get back into the market as a legit card. Otherwise, where would the value and protection of the service be?

I think it should be encapsulated regardless of what the owner wants with either a thumbs up on the case or big X -- something that would in effect remove a lemon from the market. >>

Who's value and protection are we talking about here? The market's or the card's owner? I don't see how or why such a company would/should be expected to protect the market. As a private enterprise, I'd think that their alligence should be to their client's first and foremost. They are not taking ownership of the graded card so why would they be expected to assist in keeping it off the market in the future? Of course, if the owner authorized slabbing regardless of what they determined, then the "Big X" should certainly be OK.

Scott
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    I'll give you credit for "thinking outside the box", as they say,
    but I don't think that this service would be a successful business
    venture. First off, since we already know that grading is basically
    another person's opinion about the condition of a card, who's to say
    that collectors would value the opinion of the "Graded Card Graders"
    (let's use GCG for short) over the opinions of PSA, SGC, GAI, etc.?

Secondly, I think that the absolute best way to view a card & grade
    it is to hold it in your hands. The graders at GCG would be at a
    disadvantage from the beginning, since they'd have to look through
    another company's slab (edges can be tough to check in a slab).

Finally, I think collectors would be turned off by having to look
    through 2 holders to view their cards. We're already a little bit
    "detached" from our cards in their PSA slabs, and adding yet another
    plastic window in front of the cardboard could take even more away
    from the viewing experience.

Still, having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if a company sprouted
    up with this service...
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I would be. What a ridiculous idea this is...I actually thought it was a joke post at first.

Why stop there? Why not have a third company grade the slab of the second company? What's the point? image
  • Options
    A few years ago, lots of people thought the idea of a coffee shop on every corner was ridiculous too.

The purpose (point) of such a company would be two fold: (1) A super-standardized holder, (2) a truly tamper-proof slab such as clear liquid plastic poured into a mold around the original slab. If such a company could initially create at least the PERCEPTION that its graders and grading system were superior to existing professional grading companies (as GAI has done pretty well, for example), the possibilities are really endless. Maybe a far out concept, but definitely not ridiculous.

Scott
  • Options
    RG58RG58 Posts: 119
    I think the future of card grading is with computers- One day some computer geek will develop software that grades a scanned card in less than a minute and aids in the process. (ultimately a human will always have to look at the card, but the computer will set a minimum garde based on centering/corners/focus/color). This well help make the grading more accurate and precise. I personally would choose the grading company that has the most accurate and precise grading scheme/standards and in the future computers will be the key to the process- Just waiting for someone to run away with the idea!

I would also love to read in a magazine like Consumer Reports an evaluation of the the grading companies to see who is the most precise. A third party, scientific evaluation would be cool and would force the grading companies to raise the bar.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>If the card/slab were rejected, there would have to be some assurance that it wouldn't get back into the market as a legit card >>

Does SGC or PSA return a card it deems trimmed or altered to the submitter?
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

<< <i>Does SGC or PSA return a card it deems trimmed or altered to the submitter? >>

I've gotten several back unslabbed with a sticker that says "MISCUT." I haven't figured out whether that means "not square" or "trimmed" or both. At least one of them was definitely "trimmed." The others -- They looked and measured OK to me. One of them has been resubmitted but I haven't gotten the grades on that submission yet.

The "computer scanning" idea sort of goes hand-in-hand with this "graded card grading" concept. Its certainly possible to do it. Automated high resolution scanner analysis can do that type of thing right now (I was a computer guy in my previous life) though the cost of them probably is still not cost justifiable for this type of application. But as with all technologies, its just a matter of time before the cost comes down.

Scott
  • Options
    how about this, a company that encases the card in titanium and puts a microchip inside plastic portion of the slab, these microchips will be able to read the brainwaves of any evildoer with the intent of doctoring the card an electric charge is then emitted causing an explosion thus maiming the cretin and saving the card! ted kasiznski could be a technical advisor for the cutting edge company known as UNI-GRADERS.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell ya what you are looking for....A SUPREME "GOD" of GRADER of Of GRADED CARDS......after awhile there will be several companies jockying for position and claiming that they are the Ultimate company where every card that has been graded should go through them for the end-all stamp of approval....just what this hobby needs.....simply ridiculas