Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look what Coinguy1 bought for me...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
and he does not even know it!

It fits in nicely with my new collecting theme, gold, silver, and copper coins from 1857.

Comments

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It fits in nicely with my new collecting theme, gold, silver, and copper coins from 1857. >>

Is there something special about 1857 to you or your family?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Is there something special about 1857 to you or your family? >>

Barry, "something special" indeed. Robert is too modest to admit it, but, that is his birth year.image I might add that he looks great for his age.image

Robert, since I "bought it for you", do I need to write a check to Pinnacle?image
  • Options
    CherwoodCherwood Posts: 1,073
    Hey Coinguy1, feel free to buy something for me anytime! image

Believe me, my meager coin collection needs all the help it can get!

Cheryl
    Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    Is there something special about 1857 to you or your family?

It started when I coincidentally purchased an 1857-D and an 1857-C half eagle. I thought it would be nice to get all the 1857 half eagles as they were produced in all five operating mints (P, C, D, O, and S). Then, I had the opportunity to buy a nice 1857 $20. It did not exactly fit in with what I was collecting, but as I considered it, I investigated the 1857 issues of other denominations and mints. It turns out that 1857 is the first year that the SF mint was operating that all gold coins of all denominations and mints could be collected by one of not extraordinary means--there are no "stoppers." I discussed the idea with my advisor (Doug Winter), and he agreed that it would be an interesting set and suggested looking at the silver (and copper issues) as well. It turns out that the US mint and branches struck a total of 34 issues, all of which are obtainable in XF-AU (for gold, AU-MS for silver and copper) for not an obscene amount of money. Add that to the historic background of 1857: the "Panic of 1857" (the greatest U.S. financial downturn of the 19th century) and the sinking of the SS Central America, and it makes for an interesting year in U.S. coinage.

Robert, since I "bought it for you", do I need to write a check to Pinnacle?

Now, actually I think that the check usually goes in the other direction image. But if you are offering...

Robert is too modest to admit it, but, that is his birth year. I might add that he looks great for his age.

Mark is modest, too, since I am younger even then he is (I think)!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Coinguy1, feel free to buy something for me anytime! >>

Sorry Cheryl, only if YOU were born in 1857, too.image
  • Options

<< <i>

Sorry Cheryl, only if YOU were born in 1857, too.image >>

when I first wake up - I sure LOOK like is was born in 1857 - does that count?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    Hey Mark... you know, you missed my birthday... a shopping spree at Pinnacle would be nice... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Frank, as they say "close but no cigar, (or coin)".image A most excellent effort on your part, however.image

George, your effort falls a bit short(er).image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mark...

Give me a shopping spree at Pinnacle or those compromising pictures that I "made go away" might resurface...image

How is that for effort... and blackmail image

Guess I should have done this via PM.... do'oh!!
  • Options
    compromising pictures image Now, this is getting really interesting...

Also interesting is the fact that you can buy a nearly 150 year old toned silver coin in MS-65 for about the same price as a 61 Frankie in MS-65.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    To be fair to all on the Forum, Coinguy should spring and buy a coin for each of us.

That should include free shipping and maybe a couple of jelly donuts.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Actually, when you buy one of these:

You get 5% off one of those half dimes.

I would guess that if you buy 20 MS Type I $20's, Pinnacle would be more than happy to throw in a half dime. I would have to take that up with the management.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear,

Have you looked into seeing someone about your jelly doughnut problem?????

I'm just looking out for you...

V.r,
    John
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I'm with Bear. Coinguy, I want one of those little silver coins with all the funny colors too!
    DSW
  • Options
    CherwoodCherwood Posts: 1,073

<< <i>

Sorry Cheryl, only if YOU were born in 1857, too.image >>

Ummmmm, I think my great-grandmother, was born in 1857. Yeah, that's the ticket!image

Actually, I'm really not that picky, 1957 or 1958 would be just fine! image

Oh, and hey, I just passed my 50th post, so doesn't that mean someone should give me something???

Cheryl
    Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    sweet eye appealling coin that 1857 half dime one of my favorite series

michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file