Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this 1859 Seated Half a proof or business strike? (Warning: multiple large images).

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

It appears to have a rather crisp strike, and the fields in the protected areas around the devices are definitely mirrored and reflective. I just don't have enough experience with these to know one way or the other. Is this a proof, or a prooflike business strike? Thanks.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well could be a business strike. I have an 1878-CC Seated Lib Quarter in a PCGS AU58 slab. If it wasn't from Carson City I'd swear it was a proof with some cameo.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business Strike

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business strike. Would not be worth any more or less to me if it were a circ. proof.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Russ, it appears to be a business strike.

Among other reasons, I feel that way because - even taking some circulation/wear into account, a Proof would likely be better detailed in areas such as the centers of the stars and Liberty's hair on the obverse, as well as the eagle's claws and the leaves on the reverse.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Cool. Thanks for the added wrinkles in my grey matter. image

Russ, NCN
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business strike. Would not be worth any more or less to me if it were a circ. proof.

It would to me!!!

Russ,

I think that the coin is a business strike as well. One thing that I look at with possible seated halves is the denticles. Proofs generally tend to have very defined and crisp denticles as well. These (and the rest of the strike) is a bit soft IMO... eagles' legs, lib's hair...

John

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    biz strike.

K S
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reeding is very sharp and square that usually implies a proof.
    A business strike usually always has rounded reeding that is not sharp and square. When handling raw proof seated halves the edge almost feels like it is cutting into your fingers, not so with the beveled business strikes.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    It is an interesting looking coin. I like it. I'm no expert but I was thinking biz strike before I read the other replies. It seems that there are several neat proof like seated coins out there. I saw a super seated half at the last show I went to. It had very frosty devices with very reflective fields. I really like those image
  • Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    You will also see slightly doubled denticles on many proofs of this era.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file