Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Have You Ever Asked an eBay Seller to End an Auction Early? If Yes, Why?

RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
There's the question. If so, why? Did you succeed? What was the coin (or other item).

Comments

• Options
    Yes ............. Wasn't for a coin tho.

I needed a taillight for the Wifes Volvo. Somebody "parked" their shopping cart in it one day at the market.

The seller agreed, and the Volvo was happy again image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never did but I thought about it. I liked the coin & figured I might make an offer & avoid all the games & waiting.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to buy the item and had another on the fence that I could go after. The buyer elected not to end the auction, and it worked out better for him. I did get the other lot of baseball cards.
    Wondo

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Several times. I was successful two times in purchasing a 54P, and 45D PCGS AU58 Washington quarters for my AU58 set. I made the offers before ther were any bids, and offered what they considered to be a fair price each time.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    When I try to cherrypick.... sure. I tell them to put up a BIN instead.... It makes me feel not as bad....image
  • Options
    I have, but will not divulge who with so as not to get anybody in trouble. Caveat that there were no other bids at the time, so nobody got screwed up front.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Many times. Pretty much on a daily basis. Why? Because it's about the only way I can wrestle anything away from all the other bloodhounds looking for the same coins I am, (that means YOU Marty, Don, Ken, et al). image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭
    It's wrong, immoral, possibly illegal, definitely unethical and it usually works like a charm.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I ask all the time. I end alot of my auctions when people send offers that I can live with. If there is a bid I won't end a auction though. My auctions have a opening price so I don't do alot of the N/R type of listings.
  • Options

<< <i>Many times. Pretty much on a daily basis. Why? Because it's about the only way I can wrestle anything away from all the other bloodhounds >>

he he he ................. Looks like i'm gonna have to do it more often to get on Russ' list image
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not nearly as often as I used to, but yes. More often I'll write after an auction closes with no bids and offer an amount less than the opening bid. I've also written to winners of large lots and inquired about a single coin within them. Oddly enough, I've never had someone make me an offer when I was the seller.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Russ......I'm holding up a finger.image

Richard, yes. I do frequently. I won't ask a seller if there are bids, but if I see something I like, I'll ask. The seller has a few good options (adding a BIN, end listing and sell to the highest bidder, etc) that are within Ebay's rules so they get their fee. I just asked a seller if they wanted AU money for a coin they listed as XF because I liked it's look. Before they responded, someone else bid $10, so it didn't happen. I may or may not bid when the auction ends depending on other purchases, but I'm certain my offer would win the item. My only rule buying or selling is that there have to be NO bids.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Yes,
    to offer a price lower than the final bid will probably be. Why not? It's worth a shot.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yes, because of a particular association the coin had with where I grew up. I offered the seller a certain amount of money but there was 1 $1.00 bidder and the seller felt obligated to see the auction through. Because of a computer problem, I couldn't snipe it at the end and got outbid. The sad irony is that I offered the seller more than what the item ended up selling for. I was really disappointed that day.
  • Options
    A coin dealer showed me a High Relief Saint in MS64. I asked the price and, at the time, it was $14,000. I really liked it so I said I would take it. He said there is a problem, I've got it on Ebay and I don't want to end the auction early. We agreed that I would buy the coin if it didn't bring $14,000 AND if it brought more we would split any amount over. Well it went for $15,000 and so I got $500 !! image
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Options
    Yes, I do it all the time if there aren't any bids.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. Got several great coins that way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file