Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins with way different grades on the front & back.

Do you own any coins where 1 side grades 3 points or more different from obverse to reverse ?

To this day, coins like this appeal to me [God knows why] I'm bidding on a m.s. 64 barber half in the Central States signature sale right now that has this look. The obverse looks 65 to me with great color & luster, but the reverse looks... well... crappy, bland, almost no luster and maybe it's just the picture but it appears to have light rub to me.

I have on occasion purchased 1 sided nice coins especially if the obverse was the nicer side. What do you think of 1 sided p.q. [half coins] ?

Les
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The GSA I just bought is maybe 61, 62 max obv and a strong 64, 65 rev. But the obv is nicely toned which makes up for it all.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    I don`t have one I consider 3 points difference but, have a 1880 - S Morgan that is about 2 points difference. It`s graded MS63 and the reverse is looks as good as any of the MS65 Morgans I have. The obverse I consider to be a true MS63. It`s the first Morgan I bought and one I intend to keep for a long time.
  • Options
    I don't know if Heritage would mind if someone linked the coin I used as an example but its the pcgs 64 - 1898 barber half in the upcoming Central States signature sale. Look for your self and link if you dont mind the wrath of Heritage.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I have a 78cc in a ICG holder that is graded ms65. The obverse is a 64+ and the reverse is a no brainer 68++++.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I have a few coins that are VF20 on one side and EF40 on the other side. That's a 20 point difference!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    I have several CC dollars like that. Super reverse 65-67, and a 62-64 obverse.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    here's mine. The digs on the chin are deeper than they look.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know if Heritage would mind if someone linked the coin I used as an example but its the pcgs 64 - 1898 barber half in the upcoming Central States signature sale. Look for your self and link if you dont mind the wrath of Heritage.

Les >>

Heritage doesn't have a clue. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    alot of Morgans are this way. The Obverse looks decent but then the reverse looks totally un-touched.
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I've often seen MS63 barber halves where the obverse is a 63 and the reverse is a 65. That 1898 half is different with a great obverse but a lousy reverse.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fairly common to find seated, Barber, bust, and Morgans for example with very high grade reverses and not so nice obverses. The opposite is almost never the case. It it's from honest natural wear and tear vice a cleaning or damage, then ok. Otherwise I'm not a big fan. The 22 plain lincolns are usually 1-2 grades different from obv to rev as are many half dimes and dimes in the mid-19th c.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    There was a Buffalo nickel in a Jack Beymer ad a few months ago, that was "Mint State" on the obverse, with a "porous AG3 reverse." Perhaps the reverse was damaged in some way.
    image"Darkside" gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file