Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Collecting Low-Grade Vintage Graded Sets

I have been doing this ever since 1997 when I starting collecting graded cards. With all the discussion about restoration, etc, this type of collecting can offer piece of mind that your cards have been "untouched" by any would-be card doctors out there. Having them graded to me, just ensures that the cards are authentic and have not been altered. I don't mind the low grade. Although I will never compete with some of those beautiful high end sets that are out there I do own almost every major boxing and hockey card.

For example: my 54-55 topps hockey set has an average grade of 3-4 range. I do have a GAI 8 card of a common of Larry Popein (edited to add: it's a hergesheimer not a popein card), but all the other cards are in the 2-3 range. My 51 parkies are about the same average with a GAI 2 of both Howe and Richard, same goes for the Ice Kings.

I find this method of collecting enjoyable and economical...I also find trading much easier as well. Higher end cards require a little more negiotation between the parties IMO.

In some cases, I'll collect high end vintage cards when it's economical: For example, the 56 Topps (gum inc.) Boxing cards in 8 or better condition can be had for about 30-40 dollars apiece, and since it is only a 21 card boxing set (100 total), collecting the set won't cost and arm and a leg.

I have decided that I am going to start adding these sets utilizing all 3 registries...I have some PSA only sets that I will add to their registry, my T-218 and T-220 boxing will go into the SGC registry (they are in raw form right now so I need to submit them to SGC), and my 51 parkhurst, 54 topps, and 1938 churchman boxing will go into the GAI registry when implemented.

Even if I have the lowest rated sets out there, I find participating on the registry to be fun. I used the PSA registry for the first time last night and hopefully, I'll have the first 56 Topps Adventure Boxing listed. The bottom line is that I don't feel I need to be a "high roller" in this hobby to collect in raw fashion, graded fashion, or participate in registries....I encourage others to do the same...give it a try!
Gold Coins
Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Grillo,

I have been building Mid Grade PSA vintage sets from the pre 1960's for some time now(I usually try to focus in the PSA 5 and 6 categories ). I find that if you pay attention to the overall eye appeal of the card and less the technical grade you can build some very nice mid grade sets. As I collect cards for both fun and profit., I continually find that this is a nitch not serviced by many of the major dealers and has a large audience of buyers out there. So far it has been a lot of fun for me and I have generally had good luck with selling thses cards with a reasonable profit ....

As to your thoughts on card doctoring I think you are blowing this issue way out of proportion. I do not think it is rampant as your posts (and others) over the last few days suggest. Does it exist ? Most definitely whenever their is money to be made there will be a certain subset of people who will lie , cheat or steal in order to make a buck. My advice is if you want to collect high grade vintage find reputable dealers that you trust... If you have doubts about a certain dealer use the old Nancy Regan line and just say no......

Jeff

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Jeff...Thanks for the info. see my other post on the other thread...I don't think it is rampant.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    I agree.

I think the best "bargains" out there are for PSA 6 hockey cards.
    They can be very nice cards...and at a great priceimage

I have some in my collection because there are none higher.
    Some PSA 6's are pretty awesome cards.

I think you guys are way ahead of some others with your thinking.

marc
  • Options
    I concur. Though not exactly my intention when starting out, look what I've ended up with:

1961 PSA 6 Set

and

1961 PSA 7 Starter Set (pics included for this one)

Something about these '61s just look vintage to me. Keeps me away from Goudeys, tobacco cards and cracker jacks, not to mention Kelloggs.image
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    For some pre-war hockey sets - C57, V129's - collecting anything higher than PSA 6's would take an awfully long time as there are very few that exist in those grades.
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    i wholly agree with grillo in theory. when i started my '51 set, my main intentions were to complete a psa 5 or 6 set. personally i am just as happy with ex-exmt cards as i am with a nm-nmmt, furthermore i've typically found the difference between 6s, 7s, 8s to be minimal and the pricing increments disturbing. unfortunately in my particular situation, what i found was that 85% of the set only had 30-50 graded cards for each player, making it impossible to complete the set that way. as i got deeper into the set i also found that once you have a percentage of the set in psa 7,8 range it looked totally unbalanced and shoddy, not to mention extrinsically nobody has any respect for sets that aren't nm+. as a result i ended up with a doubles set that was 30% complete and spent 5k more than i originally intended.

on an additional note, i'm not sure about other people's experiences but my limited experience selling vintage cards is more profitable in the mid grades. the common cards can always be found for at or below grading fees if they aren't in the 7 or above range. consequently, that gives a great deal of leeway in the resale area if you sell the cards in lots. psa 7's and above on the other hand are a beast to project prices, and subsequently have to be bought at a premium....which then makes one sell them at a premium over the previous premium, and effectively squeeze margins. curious to see if this holds true for the professionals out there.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am working on two sets - 1967 in PSA 7 and 8 and 1952 Bowman in PSA 5 and 6. These cards have tremendous eye appeal that give collectors an EXCELLENT grade by definition, not to mention a much lower cost than the PSA 8 or 9. These cards are quite liquid as well, especially for higher graded 5's and 6's, and gives the collector an opportunity to "dabble", without the financial burden of having to unload higher priced/graded common counterparts.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Everyone collecting the mid-grade sets signifies another reason to end the reign of the "card-choppers" and PRO. I hope these people do not deplete the market tremendously of the mid-grade cards thru trimming and alteration, thus deeming a mid-grade card worthless.

I am not a big vintage guy, but I wonder how many decently nice (mid-grade) Mantle cards have been ruined by unscrupulous people.

Damn card choppers

Dal

• Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    Click on my link....i like low grade....its cheaper
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Alot of T, E and 19th C cards are only available in VG or worse. Collector grade cards require alot of skill to find those that present better than the technical grade. About a month ago I picked up a very sweet annonymous T207 Buck Weaver. It has its issues for sure, but presents several grades above its technical level. Great value for the money.

That extends to PSA 5/6 in the 1950s and PSA 6/7 in the 1960s. If someone is a regular submitter/set builder, their 5-7s will look like 8s or they wouldn't have been submitted to start with. Very similar theory applies to 1971s -- I think Jrink used to speak about this alot.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    It's nice to see some t205's with some BORDERS. Is it my imagination - or perhaps lack of knowledge on this set - but it seems some of them in high grade are very SMALL.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

In the spirit of Uniships message, what the borders of an e92 should look like... Now compare to high grade e92s...

Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey